1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex-Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow, sues team

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Do WHAT?, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Just ask yourself one thing. Of ALL the people who played a part in this fiasco, and there have been many across multiple organizations, why has only one guy continued to be singled out? Absolutely everyone else has been allowed to move on. People who were obviously intimately more involved have been completely forgiven, the owner sold his soul for it, and the players who actually did it didn't even get a wrist slap. Luhnow might be an unlikeable guy, but come on, he has been completely destroyed over this. He has every right to go scorched earth as far as I am concerned.

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree with all this, in a nutshell, what your saying is that Luhnow has been treated unfairly, and he has. But given the participants that were involved in creating all this, it shouldn't be a shock to anyone that in the end, the outcome wasn't a fair one.

The most perinate question (in my mind) right now is whether processes can be put into motion to correct the unfairness.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I am surprised no one has given him a job. I mean he done more than morey and morey got 12 million dollars. Redsox hired cora and he was the ring leader. Why not just bring back Luhnow.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

First, no I am not the one that told you that teams were not going to collude in salaries. I said the opposite. I said expect salaries to be way down before the baseball season even started.

Second, no he isn’t Sam Hinkie. Have the Sixers won a title with that group? How many times were they in the conference finals? How many times in the finals? They aren’t remotely similar other than they both started at the bottom.

With some luck the Astros could have won 2-3 straight World Series. He is better than good, he is the best in his sport.

Do I think they had cause to fire him? That’s what the legal process is for. If Crane and Manfred is okay with everything coming out, then they can go to trial. I suspect though that Manfred doesn’t want it to come out that he tailored the report to punish the GM and spare the owner, that Manfred had incredible pressure from the owners of franchises in the biggest market to make an example of the Astros, that other teams were doing things similar and that the Astros had a sliding punishment depending on whether Crane would fire Luhnow.

I suspect that not being advertised is worth quite a bit to the game.

5. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I do not blame Luhnow for suing to recoup his lost salary. At this point he has nothing to lose. Just the same, it was obvious very early on who was going to go down hardest for this; it was never going to be the owner, and very early on it was obvious it wasn’t going to be the players. If Luhnow expected the punishment to stop with the front office personnel underneath him, he’s a fool.

Given the dynamics (with the players having collective bargaining and the owners...owning the league), the front office (starting with the GM) is the vulnerable party anytime something like this happens, and anybody who takes a GM job would be an idiot not to know that. So it’s not about “deserves”, it’s about who can take the blame without the machine breaking down. All that said, the league and Jim Crane were also very foolish if they thought Luhnow was going to be excommunicated and go away quietly, especially without being paid. They should have been (and possibly are/were) prepared to pay him.

RayRay10 and jim1961 like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I might have been ok with happened to Luhnow, Hinch and the Astros reputation had MLB punished the other teams according to their TRUE involvement like they did to the Astros.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Well according to Red Sox fans...

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. raining threes

I want a GM that only cares about winning. I could care less if he's likable.

Ask yourself if after the Taubman stuff if the media might have found Fiers and he agreed to tell all, knowing the wrath would fall on Luhnow/Hinch? Your agenda based posts on this subject really disappoints me because there's no doubt about your knowledge of the game/prospects etc... and for that I thank you.

But you dont really understand the depths of human nature, and this is what this story is really all about. Bringing down the king for PR/ monetary reasons.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. raining threes

I would've been oK if Crane had paid Luhnow/Hinch and the Red Sox had paid Cora. Also if Hinch/Cora hadn't been allowed back into baseball because they were known cheaters. That makes this obvious this was a witchhunt from the beginning with the media/MLB accomplishing their goal of running Luhnow out of the game. Mission accomplished.

11. raining threes

He is

How many championships did Hinkie win or has the 76ers been too? MLB isn't the NBA.

BTW, The Stros had a record three year run under Luhnow's leadership.

Yes, give me some more of that.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. raining threes

You can blame Crane and MLB for this. (Arrogance)

BTW what's CTH?

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It was supposed to stand for "The Crawfish Boxes" but I completely mangled the abbreviation.

raining threes likes this.
  14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Right!? High time we put in tech and integrity in the game in the game. We just want a pure game. We don’t care if we win or lose fairly.

Nook likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

(Jim, in no way aiming anything at you. Just need the quote to respond to.)

As Nick has pointed out, there is nothing petty about dodging paying $22 million in salary. Sports fans and media are too used to talking in incomprehensible numbers about contracts. That is an enormous amount of money. And it would be considered a crime punishable by death by the same types if any organization tried to do that to one of its players. And can you imagine what the player's association would do? Easily. They'd strike and shut the entire MLB down. Jeff Luhnow is on his own with his lawyer trying to fight the entire damn league on this one.

But that's not why I'm even responding to this inane tweet. It's a typical technique we all use at times of equating two wildly different things in the same sentence to diminish one of them. Also, there's a implied "but" in this sentence, and I've become a real believer in the concept that a "but" invalidates whatever was before it 99.9% of the time. Hey, The Crawfish Boxes, there is ZERO equivalency between constructing a championship MLB team from absolutely nothing within a decade and giving an interview and filing a lawsuit. My God, there are so many orders of magnitude separating those two things. Jeff Luhnow could come **** on your bed, and you should be mad about your ruined sheets AND also say "You're still a god for what you did with the Astros." Hell, no one would give a **** what The Crawfish Boxes has to say if Jeff Luhnow hadn't built a team worth talking about.

I am obviously biased towards the guy that made all of this happen. Personally, I would love for all of this to just go away. You know who made that impossible? Jim Crane and Rob Manfred. Just pay the man. He obviously just wants to get his story off his chest, get his money, and never see these assholes or any other professional sports assholes ever again. Don't blame him.

RayRay10, jiggyfly and Hank McDowell like this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Probably had Climbing Tal's Hill on the brain.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Wow, your a mind reader. That was exactly it.

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If I was Lunhow, I would have sued months ago.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Why not the day after the firing? Or the week after? I am betting he had a reason for waiting.

RKREBORN likes this.
  20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

As to the former point, I think we are all guilty sometimes in letting results color our view of the process. The GM controls the process, and puts good players on the field, but it's certainly not possible for them to control the end result. Which is why, like you said, the Stros could have won multiple championships with some better luck. Or won zero, with worse. You should certainly consider that the AL MVP (Altuve) and the World Series MVP (Springer) both were players he inherited from the previous regime. What do these past years look like if Ed Wade didn't draft Springer or our scouts didn't sign Altuve in 2007 during the Tim Pupura regime? I guarantee there are no titles in that scenario.

On your latter point, I definitely agree that if MLB and the Astros have something to hide, they should have bought his silence by honoring the contract. I suppose the counterpoint is that, as rational actors, maybe they don't mind the information coming to light? Either way, I'm fine with more sunshine being aired. Let's get to the truth of what really happened, with the Astros and across baseball. I'd rather that than the current story we are being fed.

Snake Diggit likes this.