1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ewing Traded Eventually

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SmeggySmeg, Sep 20, 2000.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Seattle Snares Ewing

Patrick Ewing was finally traded to Seattle on Wednesday night in a deal that sent Glen Rice, Travis Knight, Luc Longley and three Sonics to New York; Horace Grant and three other Sonics to the Lakers; and Chris Dudley, cash and a draft pick to Phoenix.
    from www.nba.com

Cool LUC in New York

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

WOW It's offical ,

Lakers sign Rice, trade him to Knicks
    ESPN.com news services

New York Knicks center Patrick Ewing has been traded to the Seattle SuperSonics as part of a four-team deal, ESPN's David Aldridge [​IMG] reported Wednesday night.

The deal has many components.

The Lakers have signed Glen Rice to a four-year, $36 million deal and have traded him to the Knicks along with center Travis Knight. The Lakers get forward Horace Grant from Seattle along with center Greg Foster, guard Emmanuel Davis(ex-rock) and forward Chuck Person.

The Knicks also get center Luc Longley from Phoenix, and guard Vernon Maxwell(ex-rock), center Vladimir Stepania and forward Lazaro Borrell from Seattle. In addition, the Knicks will receive a first-round pick from Seattle and a first-round pick from the Lakers.

Phoenix gets center Chris Dudley, a first-round pick and cash from the Knicks.

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

4. tariq

tariq Member

Why would Phoenix help the Sonics and Lakers??

------------------

5. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Knicks lose Ewing and add Vernon Maxwell, Glen Rice, Luc Longley, Vladimir Stepania and Lazaro Borrell. They also get 2 lottery protected first round picks in 2001 and 2 second round picks.

Knicks did very well from this IMO. Although they lost their franchise center in Ewing, they added another skilled big body in Luc Longley (being from Australia, I had to add "skilled") and just a big body in Travis Knight. They also add outside threats in Glen Rice, and if he decides not to self-destruct, get arrested take drugs etc. Vernon Maxwell. A bit of a gamble with Mad Max, but it may pay off. With those two acquisitions, you have to think that Allan Houston's days as a Knick are somewhat numbered. Also 2 scrubs in Stepania and Borrell (Borrell who?). Oh and don't forget 4 draft picks.

Sonics get their man in Ewing to team up with Baker and present a pretty scary frontline. With Payton controlling the backcourt, this team has quite a bit of "potential" (I never thought I would use that word on this BBS!!). How well will their "Big 3" (Baker, Payton, Ewing, Big 4 if you include Lewis) go, when each wants the ball? I think that Baker will be taking less shots, and his shots will be going to Ewing.

Lakers add Horace Grant, Emmanual Davis, Greg Foster and Chuck Person. They "replace" Rice with another 3-point marksman in Person, and get an upgrade in the frontcourt from Travis Knight to Horace Grant and Greg Foster. Also net themselves another point guard in Emmanual Davis (So much for sending Drew to the Lakers).

Phoenix made the largest net loss out of the four teams, you lose Luc Longley and add Chris Dudley and a first round pick? Hey at least Longley could hit his free-throws!!

Out of the four teams (in order) I think the teams that benefitted most from this trade would be:
    New York (Dumped Ewing, got big bodies in return and added outside threats)
    Seattle (possible equal with Knicks)
    Lakers (shored up the front court with the aquisition of H. Grant)
    Phoenix (what were you thinking Phoenix?)

Too much typing, must rest...

------------------
    "He fouled me every single time I was over the rim ... I'm going to lift weights tomorrow and get my legs stronger so next time I play him I'll put it on his head five times." - Steve Franchise