1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now -- come join us!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

EVOLUTIONARY THEORY REFUTED?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Sep 23, 2014.

Tags:
  1. bongman

bongman Member

If the specific mutation proves to be more advantageous to the survival of an individual, the other members of the specie would want their offsprings to possibly inherit that trait. They will then prefer to mate with that individual and their offsprings will just be as desirable. Give it enough time, through a number of generations, the whole species would have evolved with the same trait.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you have a misunderstanding of what a theory constitutes.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This whole thread would be amusing if not tragic.

It's like watching a Nobel PHD in Physics try to argue with a 5 year old on whether or not the earth is made out of silly putty.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did.
    Will go and ReRead

Rocket River

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

2 people like this.
  7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is it time for the childish hostilities?

8. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Except that one creature passes down that mutation to his offspring. I mean, how do you think hemophilia exists if it isn't passed down by genetics?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This difference between this thread and your chronic ill-fated semi-yearly abortion thread trainwrecks is that evolution isn't really a moving ethical target like abortion, and anyone with the gumption to read the right books would have an understanding of what Evolutionary theory is trying to spell out. You don't have to agree with it, and those heebie jeebie goosebumps you're getting now is more about you than the material itself.

Quit cherry picking Pastor Mike's anti-Satan Good Learnin' Series of Facebook links and jump straight to the Origin of Species or ask a professor on the good ol' FB for suggestions. After 200 some-odd years, Darwin's book is still surprisingly relevant.

Right now, it's like you've put on the Homer glasses and copy pasta-ing random links from science blogs to prove a simple point.

Forest from the trees, breh.

You're a long time member. If you wanted real discussion, there'd be growth from past threads. People are just responding your lack of growth and respect of the topic in kind.

10. giddyup

I'm not saying it isn't passed down. It obviously is.

Where in this mutating process is the transitional "leap" made from an old species to a new species? It seems like more of a nudging.... which challenges the bigger picture of evolution of the species.

11. giddyup

Several have contributed to the discussion here. Some of the same, old, usual children have showed up to share their churlishness.

Who's to say from what direction the growth should come?

What is the one line I added to the embedded video as an introduction?

This forum is entitled "DEBATE & DISCUSSION" but that is really the last thing that some of you want. Thanks to those of you who have simply answer the questions and attempt to carry the discussion forward.

#111 giddyup, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Correct. It is more like a nudging as opposed to a leap.

I fail to see the problem. You seem to think that one day, a Homo Erectus happened to give birth to a Homo Sapiens. That's not how it worked. One day, a homo erectus happened to give birth to a homo erectus who had trait that are more similar to a homo sapiens. Then in maybe ten thousand years the descendants of that homo erectus gave birth to another homo erectus with more traits of homo sapiens, and so on, and so on.

13. bongman

bongman Member

Please check out the fruit fly experiment which is now being taught and performed at the high school level. I think this will answer most of your questions.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What you fail to realize is that nobody claimed it affected an entire species at one time. Why do you bring it up as if someone is making that claim?

You are putting forth attempts to refute arguments that nobody is making.

I'm not sure why. Science doesn't really require any leaps of faith. It requires evidence. The evidence is there.

#114 FranchiseBlade, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

epic thread.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Randomness is interesting. It's a local event. At a larger scale, there is a "law" that randomness follow. Which beg the question, is it really random chance that human just happen, or that some very certain conditions very early on unfold to a stage of human today.

I can almost see that human is not randomly created. Human became due to the law of nature unfolding over time. You put our universe law of nature and set of conditions in a said completely new universe, you will get human again.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Does that mean that the idea of abiogenesis isn't science? The evidence isn't there and it requires a rather large leap of faith.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

My understanding of that is that they believe there is some evidence that backs the idea of abiogenesis. It isn't conclusive but to say there is no evidence isn't accurate from what I've seen.

It is something I'm not all that up to date on, so I wouldn't say for sure.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You do understand there have been not one transitional leap samples, but several all along the way that have been discovered right?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

From what I know, they have evidence of things sort of similar to things that would be relevant, but nothing directly relevant. Of course that's not to say they'll never have any evidence, one day they might, but for now those who believe in it do so simply out of faith or necessity. For certain beliefs, abiogenesis simply has to be possible.