1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evidence that Hakeem and Akeem whipped Jordan's Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh Bulls Jordan why they not play all the time would be good right?
    cause Chicago is close to Houston they in same state Illinexas

Who Maxwell? He sing R&B like R Kelly?
    He bump and grind
    They aint not wrong with bump and grind

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: THU 01/30/1992
    Section: Sports
    Page: 7
    Edition: 2 STAR

Jordan awaiting challenge/Maxwell expected to continue feud

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

Michael Jordan expects more of the same bumping and grinding from Vernon Maxwell tonight. But the Bulls' star also believes he has one distinct advantage over the Rockets' fiery guard.

"Vernon is a very competitive guy," Jordan said Wednesday. "He's a physical defender and he's trying to earn respect around the league.

"Against Vernon, you've got to get inside his head. I've got to outthink him when he's guarding me. I've got to use my mental knowledge against him."

Maxwell has shown in the past two meetings against Jordan and the Bulls that he can challenge Jordan physically. Last season, he stood up to Jordan after an exchange of elbows, an incident that fired up the Rockets for a win at Chicago Stadium.

On Saturday, Maxwell was ejected from the Rockets' 114-100 loss to the Bulls at Chicago Stadium after referee Jack Nies called back-to-back fouls against Maxwell while he was guarding Jordan.

That Maxwell tries to make a statement when the Rockets play the Bulls is nothing new for Jordan. Every defender greets Jordan with a sense of purpose. But Maxwell is setting a tone for his matchups with Jordan, which come only twice a year because the teams are in opposite conferences.

"They've got a history now," Chicago coach Phil Jackson said. "Vernon shoots from the hip. When you've got unbridled competition like that in a young player like Vernon, sometimes he can come apart a little.

"Vernon's the type of player who adds a lot to the game. And he takes away some things, too."

In other words, you have to take the bad with the good with a player like Maxwell.

The Maxwell-Jordan matchup is not a one-way challenge. Jordan said he takes Maxwell seriously.

"It's true that I wake up every day expecting that sort of challenge, but it's still a challenge," Jordan said. "When I feel like a guy is trying to take some of the respect away that I've earned in seven or eight years in the league, then that's a challenge."

Maxwell, who served a one-game suspension on Tuesday for his actions at Chicago Stadium, said this week he does not want to speak to the media.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

The only time Hakeem lost in the Finals was his second season, when he was 23, and still an angry young man.

3. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Look man I'm not saying that the Rockets wasn't a great team becasue they was. I just don't think MJ would lose twice to the same team in the finals his will was too strong. And just becasue I believe that doesn't make me any less of a Rockets fan than you. I love the Dream becasue he was a great player one of the top 5 centers to ever play the game. But I would be lying if I said I thought he was better than MJ. Just becasue there are some people on this site that don't think the Dream was better than MJ or the GOAT, doesn't mean they don't love the Rockets.

4. T-mac&Yao=RING

Thats true. I give Dream some credit for making it to the finals in his second year. But you can't give him all the credit in the world because he didn't win it. I know he was young and playing a great Boston team, but you don't get anything for coming in second place.

5. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

The thing is, if Jordan didn't retire at that time, Bull's front line would be different. They may not have let traded away Horace Grant, or they would have got someone else for Jordan.

When Jordan left, they need to rebuild in certain way, and you can't expect the rebuild to be done in one year.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I like Jordan too.

However, I don't get my facts all wrong like some people on this board. I don't say that the Jordan whipped the Knicks, while fact was that series went to 7 games (not a whipping).

I know Michael Jordan started in the NBA at the SAME TIME as the Dream.
    If you want to compare both of their teams, then do so fairly. The later Bulls team was probably stronger than the one with Clyde and Chuck. But if you say that, then you must compare when Dream and Ralph bulldozed the Jordan's Bulls at Chicago Stadium (Yes , not the united center).

He played in 1995. They got beat by a team with a stronger front line. They addressed that problem by getting a sucker trade for Rodman.

Note how I'm only using FACTs. Not speculation. You can also use facts on when the Bulls beat the Rockets and you can analyze why that happened too. But that should be the only analysis cause you can speculate all you want on the what ifs..

7. tinman

Supporting Member

if you say that about Dream than you have to say that about Jordan, He got beat too by that SAME BOSTON TEAM.

8. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

Then a lot more times that he didn't make the finals, a lot more than MJ.

I think Rockets would have a chance to beat MJ (if he played) in those two years in finals, but it wouldn't be a sure thing.

9. T-mac&Yao=RING

Yea he did and I don't give him any credit for losing 3-0 to Boston.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

No, actually I don’t think so. Phil Jackson has shown me that like any other coach, he wins when he has talent. What did Jackson figure out in 94 when MJ wasn’t there? What did he figure out for Shaq in 95 when MJ was back and Chicago had no quality big? What has he figured out the last two years in LA? Hmmmm……

The Sonics didn’t have any individual defender who could match up with Dream but they had a dominant and athletic PF and a dominant PG on both sides of the ball. They also had a roster full of other athletes and centers who could shoot 3’s and minimize Dream’s help defense by pulling him away from the lane. Did the 95 Bulls have a PF? No…Pippen and Jordan were actually their leaders in rebounding. Please enlighten me on the last time a team won a title with their SF and SG leading the team in rebounds. Did the Bulls have a center that Hakeem had to pay any attention to? Again, the answer is no.

Our weak spots during those times were PG and PF. Our strongest defenders were at the SG (Maxwell, Elie, Drexler), SF (Horry and Elie) and C positions. That’s why we struggled against teams with stud PG’s and PF’s (Sonics, Jazz, Suns).

11. Icehouse

Do you also realize that the Bulls were that close to losing to the Knicks when Charles Smith missed/was rejected on three layups/dunk attempts in a row?

Please explain to me how the Bulls (with MJ) would beat Houston when they couldn't get past Orlando, who Houston swept? Stop acting like MJ was not in the league in 1995........

12. Icehouse

So what if Magic doesn't catch HIV? What if Scott & Worthy don't get hurt in 91? What if Sampson never get's injured?

Need I go on............

These kind of things happen every season. Teams add and lose players...to free agency, injury, whatever. No disclaimer is put on any other season except for the ones MJ missed. That is bogus.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Are you expecting people to know basic NBA history 101?

14. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Now I know that we're all Rocket fans here, but claiming that MJ was a wuss? Please. Give the man his due. 6 championships speaks for itself, so does 72-10. I personally think that Jordan is the GOAT, and I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

How about what if this didn't happen??

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: MON 04/26/1993
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: 2 STAR

Drama, trauma as Rockets fall/Spurs eke out 119-117 win

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

SAN ANTONIO -- In a game that refused to die against a team that had more lives than any cat, the Rockets were dealt a disheartening and controversial 119-117 overtime setback by the San Antonio Spurs in the regular-season finale Sunday night.

The Rockets, who lost a chance to win the home-court advantage in the second round against Seattle because of the loss, fell behind 113-109 when David Robinson scored the first two baskets of overtime. They never fully recovered.

The Rockets had a final chance to tie when, down 117-115, Scott Brooks missed an off-balance jumper from the corner with 10 seconds to go in OT. Avery Johnson hit two free throws for the Spurs with 2.5 seconds to go to clinch the win.

The Rockets finished the season with a two-game losing streak, but how they lost Sunday's thriller will be discussed for days.

Robinson tipped in a shot at the end of regulation to force overtime. The missed shot came from Dale Ellis and television replays showed Robinson's tip appeared to come after the buzzer.

Rudy Tomjanovich was almost off the court running to the locker room. San Antonio coach John Lucas was pumping his arms and dancing. Matt Bullard, who had hit the 3-point shot that put the Rockets up 109-017 with 5.9 seconds to go, was kicking the scorer's table.

To no avail, overtime beckoned.

There might be more meaningful games in the playoffs, but they will have to go some to top Sunday's game for sheer excitement.

The end of regulation was a breath-taking thrill show in itself.

Brooks had hit a short bank shot with 25.8 seconds to go to put the Rockets ahead 106-104. The Spurs worked the ball to Robinson at the free-throw line. He had settled for jump shots much of the night against Olajuwon. This time, he drove down the left side of the lane. He was bumped hard by Olajuwon -- it was an obvious foul -- but Robinson somehow lifted a spinning, lefthanded layup to the glass and the ball trickled in.

The free throw put San Antonio up by a point.

The Rockets had 14.1 seconds with which to work and they didn't need that much. Bullard spotted up just beyond the 3-point arc and when Brooks fed him, Bullard pulled the trigger and hit nothing but net.

But the Spurs were left with 5.9 seconds on the clock, which was enough time for one shot. Or two, depending on your viewpoint.

Robinson's tip nevertheless counted and overtime was on.

The Rockets had all the incentive they could ask for when Seattle lost at Golden State on Sunday. That left the Sonics with a final record of 55-27.

To gain the second-round home-court advantage should they play Seattle, all the Rockets had to do was win against the Spurs.

After a poor defensive half left the Rockets down 58-55 going into the third quarter, they rallied and when Olajuwon scored to start the fourth quarter, the battle was tied at 85.

Moments later, Sleepy Floyd was shown no respect by the San Antonio defense and drained an open 20-footer for a 93-89 Rockets lead with 7:51 to play.

The Spurs got a three-point play by Willie Anderson, but the Rockets then took control.

Floyd hit a jumper and Brooks followed with a 3-pointer with 6:38 to go for a 98-92 Rockets lead.

The Spurs could not narrow the gap below four points, primarily because of Olajuwon's defense.

He made a clean steal of Robinson with 4:33 to play, then harassed Robinson on a drive to the bucket with just under three minutes to play. The result was a badly missed layup.

When Robinson missed on a spinning layup with 2:10 to go, he looked frustrated by Olajuwon's defense.

But at that point the Rockets went cold offensively. They were up 104-98, but went three possessions without scoring.

When Johnson hit two free throws with 1:33 to play, the Spurs were back within four.

The Rockets got the ball to Olajuwon, but he tried to force a pass to Brooks, which was deflected by Robinson and led to an Antoine Carr slam with 1:08 to play.

Olajuwon (38 points) again was the point man offensively for the Rockets, but his baseline jumper -- a shot he has made time and again all season -- was off the mark and Ellis was fouled as the Spurs went out on the fast break.

His free throws tied the game at 104 with 45.9 seconds to go.

Brooks came through with a dynamite drive down the lane to put the Rockets back ahead, but Mr. Robinson was waiting.

The Rockets had embarrassed themselves by giving up at least 30 points in every quarter of a 128-123 loss to lowly Dallas on Saturday at The Summit.

When they surrendered 30 points to the Spurs in the first 12 minutes Sunday, the Rockets had a disgraceful streak of 30-plus quarters.

They finally stopped the string at five by allowing a mere 28 points in the second period. Still, a 58-point half is totally unacceptable by Tomjanovich's standards. That the Rockets were down 58-55 was appropriate. They didn't deserve to be ahead after allowing the Spurs to shoot 59 percent in the half.

And yet, the Rockets almost were tied. Bullard swished a 35-foot jumper that appeared to beat the halftime buzzer. But referee Ronnie Nunn waved off the basket before it went in.

Not that the Rockets could complain. They had bungled enough chances and were playing the kind of defense that makes for entertaining, high-scoring basketball and, usually, a loss for the Rockets.

The Rockets were being victimized by the Spurs' bigger guards -- a dead giveaway that Vernon Maxwell's absence poses a problem for Tomjanovich on the defensive end.

Anderson, 6-7, came off the bench to hit 12 points in 11 minutes in the first half. He constantly posted up on Winston Garland, among others. Ellis, also 6-7, scored 12 first-half points as well, neutralizing the textbook job Olajuwon was doing defensively against Robinson.

A sense of normalcy returned in the third quarter, when the game became more tense with every possession and the refs -- getting into playoff form -- began allowing all manner of pushing and shoving.

The Rockets were behind 70-65 after Robinson slammed on a lob pass with 6:50 to go in the third quarter. The Rockets rallied and when Kenny Smith nailed a 3-pointer with 3:58 left, the Spurs were up just 76-75.

They scored twice, and the Rockets came back with a pair of 3-pointers leading the way. First Smith bombed one in, then Floyd stole the ball and went in for a dunk on Anderson to tie the score at 80.

After a free throw by Anderson, Bullard knocked in a 3-pointer for an 83-81 Rockets lead.

The Spurs got back ahead going into the final 12 minutes when Johnson hit two free throws, then Terry Cummings grabbed an Elliott miss one-handed and flipped it back into the basket from six feet with 0.3 seconds left in the third period for an 85-83 San Antonio lead.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

please quote who said that.

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

What about Dream's will to win? Look at his playoff performances during those seasons.

18. Icehouse

My I would surely hope so. From reading some of these posts one would think the Bulls swept every series, winning by 40 points in each game.

What if Stockton doesn’t hit that three against us in 97?
    What if the refs don’t give the Spurs that victory and rob us of homecourt in 93 (crucial in the Sonic series)?
    What if Barkley doesn’t blow out his shoulder in 98 (we were slapping the Jazz around at that point, who did go to the Finals that year)?
    What if Barkley doesn’t leave KJ wide open for that three in the 93 Finals?
    What if Grant doesn’t block KJ’s final shot in the 93 Finals (since the ALL-TIME LEADER IN SHOT BLOCKS WAS LUCKY TO MAKE A BLOCK?
    What if Charles Smith doesn’t blow three gimmie lay-ups (I believe that was in Game 7 but I could be wrong)?
    What if Karla Malone doesn’t miss key frebbies in the Finals?
    What if Karla Malone doesn’t turn the ball over to MJ in the final seconds of Game 6? If Hakeem is lucky to get a block then surely MJ was lucky to get a steal, right?
    What if the refs actually call an offensive foul on MJ on that championship clincher in 98?
    What if the Spurs don’t tank and get Duncan?
    What if Len Bias doesn’t die, preventing Bird and McHale from doing too much which causes their bodies to break down?
    What if McHale never tries to ball on a hurt foot?
    What if Isiah never hurt his ankle in Game 6 of the 88 Finals?
    What if Isiah didn’t throw the ball to Bird?
    What if Horry doesn’t hit that winner in Game 5 against the Kings? If Cassell’s three was luck (kick out of a double team), then surely Horry’s was lucky that Divac tipped the ball right to him.
    What if the refs don’t give Fisher that BS shot in 04, against SA?
    What if Duncan isn’t hurt in 2000?

NEED I GO ON???

19. T-mac&Yao=RING

Naw you not alone I feel the same way. But what I don't get is why some people get mad becasue we feel this way.

20. T-mac&Yao=RING

There you go its right there.