1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evidence that Hakeem and Akeem whipped Jordan's Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Bulls Wilt, Blown Apart by Rockets

Dec 12, 1992

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

link

But when they look in the mirror, they can smile because of the way they made the Bulls disappear with an overwhelming 110-96 victory Friday night at the Stadium.

The Bulls played lamely, shooting 43 percent, relaxing on defense to allow Houston 54 percent shooting, mostly from close range, and committing almost twice as many turnovers as the Rockets.

Coach Phil Jackson chose to paraphrase cartoon character Pogo. "We faced our opponents and our opponents were oursleves," he said. "We were our own worst enemy, although Houston did play terrific basketball. Their speed and size dominated us, and it's the most unselfish we've ever seen them play."

----------------------------------

Rockets Burn Bulls - As Usual

Jan 29, 1993

http://www.chicagotribune.com/

link

The Bulls (28-14) sliced a 15-point lead early in the third quarter to six late in the period and did the same early in the fourth. But the Rockets went on a 12-2 run to build their advantage back to 16 at 78-62 with 7:07 left in the game and then boosted their edge to 19 with five minutes left on a fading, baseline jumper by the villainous Vernon Maxwell-his eighth point in the run.

The Rockets (23-18), as erratic as a highly talented team can possibly be, continued their remarkable streak of success against the Bulls. They have won five straight over the Bulls at the Summit and six of the teams' last eight meetings overall. They have the best record of any Bulls opponent over the last three seasons.

Thursday night's storyline: - The Bulls went to the foul line just eight times, making six of those-season lows for both the Bulls and a Rockets opponent. - The Bulls shot just 42 percent-33 percent and 39 percent in the the second and third quarters-and had a season-low 14 points in the second quarter. - The Rockets, playing before their first sellout of the season, turned the ball over 22 times but outrebounded the Bulls 46-33 and scored 18 points off 16 turnovers. - Hakeem Olajuwon scored just six points in the second half but finished with 18 points, 17 rebounds and five blocked shots. - Maxwell drove Jordan crazy.

2. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Those are regular season victories. In the playoffs it's a different story. MJ is not losing in the playoffs, and the record speaks for itself 6-0 in the finals.

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

respect to Tinman, one of my fave posters ...

can we get past this? this Rocket fan believes the right Dream Rocks would kill MJ's Bulls in a final matchup. unfortunately, it never happened & won't ever be clearly resolved.

Charlie Thomas & Patterson managed to surround Akeem/Hakeem with the most marginal supporting cast after twin towers and drug busted misadventures. hell, they considered trading Dream fer pocket change! AND lots of so called Rocket fans & local media endorsed Charlie Thomas & Patterson's perspective.

that Dream proved them terribly wrong is an issue worthy of debate. the Bulls v Rockets in the finals is Disney conjecture.

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That's becuase he was too big of a wuss to play the Rockets.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Bulls simply couldn't match up with us and it showed in the record when they played.

Max defended MJ better than anyone in the League.It was personal and Vernon was always ready for him.

And they couldn't even begin to match up with us on the inside.

It never ceases to disgust me when I hear that junk about asterisks.

MJ sits behind Dream and Magic in my line of favorite players,but C'MON.

Damn those Sonics!

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I didn't think you had that headline big enough.

7. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Bit what else do we have to go on? Dream didn't go to Finals when MJ made it, and MJ was there when Dream made it, so, regular season it is.

Besides, MJ lost plenty in the playoffs himself. Hell, Dream got to the Finals in his second season, did MJ? Sure he lost, but at least he got there. MJ didn't sniff the Finals until five years later.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah, Jordan was asked what great Center would he wanted to play with and he said it would be Dream. Oh and the Bulls would have at least made the Finals in those years we won. Remember, Jordan missed a full season and a huge chunk of the next season. Then he went on to help the Bulls win another three titles. I think a Jordan that doesn't retire will get his team in the Finals those years.

9. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

With regard to the second season where he sat out a good chunk of the time, you are completely incorrect about the Bulls making the Finals. He played at as high (or higher) a level in late 94-95 than he did at any other year. Look up his shooting percentages and other stats.

It was his team that could not match up against Orlando. He had to chase around a young, talented Penny... they'd traded away Horace Grant to Orlando. That had the effect of wiping out their interior defense and rebounding. The following year, he had Rodman to shore up that huge missing interior. In 1994-95 Bulls w/ Jordan << Magic <<<< Rockets. That cannot even be debated. End of story.

10. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

MJ in the regular season and MJ in the playoffs aren't comparable. Plus, it took the rockets 7 games combined with some miraculous shots, and Dream partially blocking Starks' 3 in Game 6 to even beat the Knicks much less a Bulls team with MJ.

I would say that the Rockets would have lost to the Bulls in 94 if Jordan hadn't retired, and I think the Rockets would have probably beaten the Bulls in 95 when they had Clyde.

11. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

WTH took you so long to do this? You obviously realize there have been billions of ascenine arguements brought to Rockets fans over the last 13-15 years about Jordan yada yada yada puke...

Better late than never. Thanks. :D

12. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Great job Tinman. The John Connor thing has me laughing at my desk. Nicely done!

Max, never really stopped Jordan but he made him work as hard as any other defender. The Rockets would definitely have taken the Bulls, I have no doubt.

I really thought it would be the Star Wars series when picked up Barkley and knocked off the Sonics. Then Karla came along and cheated...

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the point is the finals never happened. no matter how many times the terminators try to get john connor they don't and no matter how many times he tries to stop skynet, he doesn't.

they played for pride and honor. jordan didn't 'save his game for the playoffs'.

Jordan did face Hakeem and Akeem
    Dream beat him no matter what version of his shoes were out .

Oh Dream made the finals in his second year. It took awhile for Jordan to catch up. I guess some of you 'selectively' forgot that fact.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

that is the thing some dont understand about the really good scorers like a Jordan or Bryant....it isnt a matter of "locking them down", its simple, a player as good at scoring as those guys you can't stop.

What you would consider successful defense against one of them is forcing them to take contested shots everytime, taking them out of their comfort zone so they are less effective creating for themself and others.

No matter what you do, they will get theirs, what you look at is their shooting efficiency to determine if the defender gave them trouble.

I dont think you find anyone in the league that kept Jordan out of his comfort zone like Max did, he was quick on his feet, had long arms and was crazy as hell.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think anyone really thinks Maxwell or anyone could "lock down" MJ. Folks think Maxwell and Elie could at least make MJ work for his points (similar to how Battier does now, even thought he doesn't lock folks down).

The Bulls had NO ONE who could contain Hakeem and NO ONE that he had to worry about defensively. I always laugh when folks don't think the 94/95 version of Hakeem would put up awesome numbers against the Chicago big men when he was putting up 30+ a game against the likes of Ewing, Robinson and Shaq...all while having to hold them each on the other end. Much like MJ was able to rest on defense during that second 3-peat since Pippen and Harper were holding everyone, Hakeem would get to do the same thing against the Bulls and just play help defense. And I would argue that he was the best help defender ever....

Folks say "what would you do against MJ" but don't realize that we had the biggest matchup problem, not them. It's no wonder that teams with worse centers that could score came the closest to beating Chicago (NY with Ewing, Ind with Smits, Magic with Shaq).

16. Icehouse

As last years GS/Dal series shows you, the playoffs are all about matchups. Chicago struggled against teams with centers, and they never faced one as good as Hakeem. Our title Rocket teams struggled against teams with stud PG's and PF's. Chicago had neither.

FYI, MJ has lost in the playoffs on many occassions. He didn't start playing basketball in 1991....

17. tinman

Supporting Member

yeah and if i had superpowers i could fly and the ring of power i can control all of middle earth too.

there is no would have. what if Len Bias didn't die? google that up.
    What if they didn't hire Phil Jackson.

Hey Angkor, what happened to the entire decade of the 80s?
    Angkor - he would have won 6 more championships right if he had played in the 80s

18. Icehouse

You do realize that some of those Bulls/Knicks series went 7 games, right? And Ewing << Hakeem....

19. tinman

Supporting Member

what miraculous shots Desert Rocket? what a simple 3 point by Sam Cassell?
    What did OJ Simpson throw a hail mary?

Dream blocking Starks? you mean a good defensive play by the MVP of the league and the guy with the banner in the Toyota Center as the most block shots of all time?

Oh I get it.. Its has to be a MIRACULOUS SHOT for the Rockets to win, but for MJ its expected. Gotcha. Still waiting to figure out what Miraculous shot against the Knicks..you are CONJURING UP..I mean talking about

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Rockets went 7 with the Suns (in 95) and went 7 Knicks (in 94). The Bulls in their 96 title run beat three great centers....Mourning, Ewing, and Shaq. The numbers say that weren't as much as non-factor as this board is making them out to be.

The Bulls were the best team on the block in 90s, if they weren't they wouldn't have won 6 titles.

The what if game is all speculation....like if the Pats lost the Colts or Ravens this year....they might've won the Super Bowl, because they would've been more focus throughout the seasons and playoffs.

Maybe the 2000 Yankees could be the greatest dynasty in history, if they would've beaten Arizona and Florida in game 7 and finished off the Red Sox.