1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Every James Harden Midrange Jumper From The Start Of The 14-15 Season To Now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Sep 27, 2020.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Its self evident in some cases, eg when the cause of 3s not falling is tiredness then its only natural, logical and self-evident that youll be more precise from the midrange area because it require less physical effort...
    I ball on the amateur level and theres no way in hell i am hitting the 3 when i am exerting myself physically a lot... not even gonna try...

well i dont know of any evidence in the absolute sense... some statistical analysis statistics or whatever... but it is a common basketball knowledge and self evident psychological fact and the fact of life if you will...this is how human nervous system is built and working...

first you crawl then you walk, even when getting out of bed in the morning first you sit then stand up...at least that is the optimum way, i guess many people jump out of bed LOL... and we as humans in general need preparation, and we need heating up... we go from simple to complex... we need tuning up and shooting midrange is for some players a tune up procedure, and a tune up mechanism, a tune up for 'the aiming mechanism' in the brain and muscles that is...

and if we accept the fact that the shooting is, in part at least, a matter of psychology and confidence plays a great part in how one performs, then its a given that seeing the ball going through the net from the middy can in some cases improve 3 pt shooting, i emphasize in some cases like when you are down, arent hot, or hit the cold stretch or if the cause of the misses is psychological in nature...
    if you are tired or injured and missing the shots then obviously shooting easier shots first probably wont help

ApacheWarrior, HP3 and JayGoogle like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

LOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Please sir. Do enlighten us. We are all interested in your thesis/theory on statistics and analytics in basketball.

We want to learn more.

D-rock, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

if you’ve seen James Harden warm up, he will start off shooting a bunch of midrange shots before starting his 3 point routine...it’s to generate a rhythm with his shot...coaches or trainers always tell u to start shooting closer to the rim, and then move out when warming up...u don’t just walk into the gym and start hoisting up threes

Now when we’re talking about in-game action, why not shoot some midrange shots when your rhythm is off or the 3 ball isn’t working? He can create space for a midrange jumper quite easily, and he is good at them, especially from 10-16 feet. I really don’t get all this pushback on Harden incorporating the midrange back into his game. Nobody is saying he needs to become Demar Derozan. Why should your best player be restricting himself to just layups and threes? It’s very predictable, especially in the clutch.

a lot of Harden’s clutch shots came from midrange, and they were easy

look at how much space he created on Iguodala so easily...he is not getting that space from beyond the arc

D-rock, fchowd0311, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do we know for sure if Harden is off from 3 and starts shooting some midrangers that he won’t just brick all of those as well? No, but most of the time, he doesn’t even try it. However, there have been some instances where he was off from 3, and he tried a random midrange jumper and hit it. People can scream small sample size, but that’s all we’ve got since he rarely takes them.

game 7 against GS is just 1 example, but there are more

he could not hit a three in the 2nd half along with the rest of the team, but at the 4:28 mark, he easily creates space for an easy midrange jumper against Draymond and makes it

5. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Yep, it's only makes so maybe the thread title misleads some.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's basketball 101 for shooters that if your shot is not falling, get closer, see it go in, build some confidence.

So much so that you see players take shots after a play is dead to try and see it go in (and defenders sometimes block the shot to deny them that) and yeah, tired and weary legs affect shooting.

So much so it's even been a feature in NBA 2k, where if you are cold, you won't hit 3s or difficult shots, you need to get something easier to knock off the ice indicator, then you can get going again.

I just always see coaches say that on any level, see it go in.

Confidence is a HUGE part of shooting.

You know how we always let scrubby mcscrubb go off on us in random games because we start off playing defense lazily and a the guy sees a few open shots go in and now he can't be stopped?

To be fair to Harden he gets enough layups and stuff that he doesn't have to take midrange to build confidence...but some nights he doesn't get calls because the refs have decided its open season on him...those nights he can't get going, can't get layups (because defenders are fouling him) and can't get FTs (because the refs are letting defenders foul him) these nights are nights he should probably rely on his midrange a lot more .

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We're only saying to avoid the missed 3s, you see? Surely he can swap in a few pull-up 2s.

francis 4 prez likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Sure why not, but a few more mid range jumpers still do not solve the real problem, the increasing double teams and suffocating D schemes that Harden has seen last 2 postseasons.

HP3 likes this.
  9. realonemo

realonemo Member

I don’t get why Simmons and Lowe types never bring up the traps killing our offense. It’s always “harden can’t get it done again” nonsense.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

don't forget that chucked 3's also lead to a lot of fast breaks via long rebounds.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

I think shooting threes was just a part of the system, I do think James harden will probably shoot more mid Rangers this year especially with a new coach and a new system, especially if we had a big men as well

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BEAUTIFUL ARGUMENTATION
    thank you!

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

BEAUTIFUL

Reeko likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden should’ve never abandoned his midrange game

ElPigto and hakeem94 like this.
  15. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I don't think it includes every Harden's mid range shot, it doesn't have Harden's game winner against GSW in the 2016 playoffs to say the least.

Harden was never a great mid-rang shoot, in his best mid-range season (2015-2016), he made 1.56 mid range shots per game at 40.5% FG%. As a comparison, MJ made 7.17 mid range shots per game at 48.9% FG% for his 96-97 season. Harden's mid range shot, in terms of volume and accuracy, are both very far from being great.

That being said, I definitely agree that he should have abandoned his mid-range game, for two main reasons. First, I believe had he put some focus on improving his mid-range game, he could be a good, maybe not great but good, mid-range shooter. Averaging 2 mid-range makes shooting 45%, something like that. Second, mid-range shot is not as efficient as other means of scoring (layups and threes), but it adds variety to Harden's game, making it less 1-dimensional and even harder to stop. Also, mid-range is the best way to score in clutch time, as the paint will be very packed, and three is just not nearly as stable when the shooter is tightly guarded. I remember Harden being lethal with his mid-range shots in clutch time 4 - 5 years ago, we see less and less of that now.

#55 James.B.H, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    D-rock and HP3 like this.
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Send the video to Morey. I'm sure he'd be thinking: What the heck? We'd be winning chips if he'd taken all those shots behind the 3pt line!

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Deckard likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member