1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everquest Nerds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigBenito, Jan 13, 2014.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Not sure if there are any old EQ fans out there, but for those that are: Kickstarter campaign that might pique your interests.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/Ae4H2dg5mbk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/Ae4H2dg5mbk?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

2. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I was a hardcore EQ player back in the day. Been waiting for McQuaid's announcement.

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I threw some money at it. My wife will never know how much, but I think it will be worth it if Brad can capture even some of the old nostalgia.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If only Brad could sell ships for hundreds of dollars, he'd have it made.

6. DaDakota

Come on now, I backed it - I just think sometimes it is about timing - more than anything, and some of our ships are inexpensive, some over 1k - but those will all be able to be resold to other users once we launch for a profit.

DD

7. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

I thought he was back working on Everquest. Did he leave again? I'm not sure he can pull this off. A lot will not forget what happened with Vanguard.

8. joesr

joesr Member

Ultima Online owned EQ

9. Katsu

Katsu Member

But will UO be owned by EQ:Next???

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

X1000

11. DaDakota

I loved Everquest, and I miss my Bard.

But when I look at that campaign I just see places that they could have done a better job - it just feels rushed, and the video lacks inspiration.

When I did my first crowd fund - and failed miserably - I learned a lot to take to the next one.

Hopefully these guys will make it but their per hour average is not good - and I have not seen them picked up much in the general news cycle - gonna be a grind for them, I think.

DD

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Hey, I get it. I play eve, where those costs are not unusual.

Was only partially tongue in cheek. I gave it some additional thought and beyond player housing and physical items irl, I'm not sure what could be used to help monetize the game.

That being said, I think he did a bad job with the kickstarter levels.

13. DaDakota

I could get more in depth, but I don't feel comfortable slagging off folks that are putting themselves out there - I wish them luck.

There are a lot of things to be learned from crowd funding - and there is a reason we are the most successful crowd fund of all time - mostly due to hard work and constant content.

DD

14. Raven

Raven Member

Brad's rep is borderline toxic, and I'm skeptical that many ex EQ players really crave that pre POK experience. Nostalgia is fine, but if you log on and find a waiting list for a spawn you need, yeah, I don't see many people sticking around for that.

15. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Anyone playing on the Time Locked Progression servers?