1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Everett out two months

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rodrick_98, Jun 15, 2007.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Really? My guess is that EB becomes he starting SS, while Loretta is the starting 3rd.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Beautiful post.

They also won't understand that when we were on our 10 game winning streak, Adam was hitting well into the .300s. Kinda makes them look even dumber than normal.

Seriously, I was sitting at the bar yesterday after the end of the game and it was like this forum from three old asshats sitting next to me. It was horrible. I wanted the big screen to fall on top of me to put me out of my misery. It's one thing to read it, it's another to hear it right in your ear.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

or even more striking...that even when he was hitting great over the past few weeks or so, it didn't matter in the win column. the suggestion has always been made that if we could get more out of him at the plate we'd win. we got more...didn't matter. because it turns out the 7 hitter in your lineup doesn't drive your team's success.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

doubt you even watch baseball... idiot

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

apparently his defense doesn't other

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

An excellent defensive SS is more valuable to a team than a strong hitter in the seven hole, IMO.

What amazes me that people don't grasp is this. Everyone would be happy with Everett if he batted .270 or so. He was around .230 before yesterday. That's a whopping four extra hits over 100 ABs. Approximately 20 extra hits a season.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what amazes me is that people will sit and argue either way. the same argument you're making about his offense not mattering because the team was unsuccessful can be made about his defense, because the team is still unsuccessful.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No it's not. That's like saying having a number one starter like Roy Oswalt is meaningless because we're not winning (even though that's probably a bad example with the way he's been pitching recently).

Having a good or light hitting #7 hitter shouldn't make or break a team. That's why whining about his offense (or lack thereof) when he's quite likely the best defensive SS in the game is absurd to me.

While I hate comparing sports, it's like b****ing about Dennis Rodman having no offense. The things that AE does on the field can't be replaced just like having the best rebounder in the league can't be replaced.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I get the feeling that they're also going to use this as a final tryout for Ensberg. Let him play everyday and see if the can turn it around. If not, you're probably right.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I don't know what's more annoying, the whining about Adam Everett or the whining about the whiners. This topic has been rehashed to death from both sides. Move on.

11. MadMax

personally i'm most annoyed with the whiners who whine about those who whine about the ones originally doing the whining.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Awe. Some.

13. Poloshirtbandit

We could always see if Julio Lugo is available.

14. MadMax

he of the .212 batting average and .270 OBP?

everett has him beat on both counts. and they both have an identical .316 slugging average.

15. Poloshirtbandit

ah didn't know that :eek:

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Touche.

But what about the people who whine about the whiners who whine about those who whine about the original whiners?

17. MadMax

I have one word for you, sir:

ZOBRIST!

18. MadMax

i think his contract is about 3X greater than AE's, too! :)

19. verse

verse Contributing Member

to me, AE is easy to pick on because he is so AWFUL with the bat. however, we could mask his toothpick if our 8 (ausmus) and 1 (biggio) weren't so AWFUL TOO. does anyone here not realize that almost 1/2 of our lineup is an automatic out?

i know this has been rehashed a gazillion times, but supporters of AE cannot, imo, be supporters of ausmus (because of his overrated "defensive capabilities") and biggio (sentimentality, 3000 hits, etc.) make up your minds on what you want because no team will win with

1 - OUT (bgo)
    2 - HIT (pence)
    3 - SLUMPING (berkman)
    4 - RBI (caballo)
    5 - QUESTIONABLE (scott)
    6 - QUESTIONABLE (loretta)
    7 - OUT
    8 - OUT
    9 - OUT

being your lineup. shuffle the guys however you want, but with 44% of your lineup being automatic outs, you're gonna struggle. if you want to take up for everett, fine, then accept that the 8 or 1 spot needs a dramatic upgrade.

imo, AE is overvalued by fans and the stros. i understand the value of his range and the number of grounders he cuts off because of biggio's plummeted range. i also understand that most of the games we lose seem to be due to the long ball...not the grounders. i also understand that even with his non-gold glove winning defense, we still are getting crushed.

check the last few world series champs and tell me how important the SS position was. was it so important to have spectacular defense that they could forgo offense?

2006: david eckstein
    2005: juan uribe
    2004: orlando cabrera
    2003: alex gonzalez

none of these guys are "defensive wizards". they are solid defensively and ALL are more potent than AE offensively. the point? you need balance at your positions. a great bat and a poor glove = an average player. a great glove and a poor bat = an average player.

Adam Everett is an average player.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, to you, he's overrated because he's "average"?

By that logic, you'd expect this team to have above average players at every position... how is that a viable expectation?