1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ever had this feeling?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lar, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

If I had to guess, I think the name for it might be jamais vu, but I'm not sure that fully captures what I'm thinking of...

It's a feeling like when you perceive yourself temporarily as a stranger, like seeing your own name written and thinking "Huh...what an odd name that is. Hard to believe that's my name". Or looking at relatives and perceiving them as if they were unrelated to you. In my experience, it lasts for just a minute or two then is fleeting...you can still consciously go through the same thought process afterward, but the strange "outside yourself" sensation that originally accompanied it disappears. Actually, it's kind of fun while it lasts...

Anyway, it occurred to me just this morning looking at Facebook pictures of a close relative and perceiving her as if she were someone else's family member instead. I can only remember this happening a few times before.

Anyone else experienced this strange (but also strangely cool and interesting) sensation?

If so--is jamais vu the right term for it, or is there something that fits better?

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Sounds like someone might have the hots for his cousin.

1 person likes this.
  3. what

what Member

4. what

what Member

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#5 DonkeyMagic, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Hey. Op. You ok?:confused:

7. Lar

Lar Contributing Member

Yep, doing ok, but I appreciate your asking. :) I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced that odd feeling at some point or not--if the early responses are anything to go by, maybe not?

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LIKE A BOSS

keep smokin dat tree brah

9. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

I don't know why your getting flammed, but I've had this too. Every now and then I'll think about my name and think "wow, is that really my name?". I also have similar out-of-body clarity on some subjects every now and then, where later I can only think about it like you said but not truly "feel" it.

1 person likes this.
  10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

You're adopted.

11. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lol at the jokes, should have just called it an out of body event.

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's called senility.
    If you don't get help at Charter, please get help somewhere.

14. Salvy

Salvy Member

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Crack is wack bro.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Lol, I know what you mean by that. It's hard to put into words, but, it's definitely a strange, and intriguing topic.

17. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

I get the feeling sometimes when I think about myself. I feel insignificant in the grand scheme of things and feel disconnected from myself. It's a reality check.

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

When I would get really depressed I would experience that. It's not even drug induced but I would just get so depressed that I would just feel outside of myself.

I could be driving home from work and take a look at my hands on the steering wheel and just think, "I can't believe these are my hands that I'm controlling. My body feels like a ******* casket and I'm stuck in this **** for however long until I die." Driving is the best example I can think of because it's all motor reflexes. No real thought is put into it. When you know how to drive your car, you know the exact amount of pressure you need to apply to keep it going a steady mph or how much you pressure you need to apply to slow down with your brakes. You know exactly how much you need to turn the wheel to change lanes. Checking your blind spot. Checking your mirrors every few seconds. No real thought is taking place beyond muscle memory, habit and reflex. It's like you're doing all these different little tasks while driving and your mind can be somewhere else completely while you do it.

Running is another example except it's actually good for you and definitely more intimate. You can really collect your thoughts running. You can go into a deep focus feeling your heart pump blood to your fatigued muscles. You can find a good rhythm as your lungs breathe oxygen in and out. You find a rhythm in the stride of your jog as your feet glide across the pavement. I really find myself in my body running.

19. jae713

jae713 Member

This happens to me sometimes, but for me it's words. They will start sounding weird and then after repeating the word for a thousand times, I can't pronounce it right. Freaky brah.

20. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Sounds like solipsism to me.

It's the way I see the world. Let's be friends.