1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ever had a low GPA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch City1993, Dec 9, 2009.

1. hoannggg

hoannggg Member

this is good to hear bc i have a gpa of 2.43 and its about to go down after this semester :(

Ill be getting my degree in accounting this spring, hope i can find a job!

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I have about a 3.3 right now, but I am just a sophmore. The classes bringing me down are the ones I am not interested in and do not go towards my major (math and science). Hopefully I can get my gpa up a little higher once my classes get more specialized. I'm gonna go back to taking Chinese next year and that is 5 fairly easy credits, so that should help me.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As someone who had a slightly higher GPA and a similar decline for similar reason I gotta assume you got a lot of D's and some F's. The very first thing you need to do is remember that every college in the universe will kick you out if your GPA falls and remains below 2.0. The very next thing you need to do is accept the fact that there's probably no chance of you working in your field of major right out of school. The third thing is to reduce your course load to 6 or 9 hours per semester, and then stop every activity: casual dating, watching TV, even working out, that isn't directly related to paying your bills and/or studying. You need to get an Excel spreadsheet, map out your work and course schedule, and then fill in every other blank, including 8 -5 on Saturday and 12 - 8 Sunday, with study time.

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Use Google Calendar instead. Much easier, newer alternative than the Excel method.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Don't know if it's been mentioned thus far, didn't read through, but it takes 10 A's to offset and F.

That said...

My GPA from college was about a 3.2... but I don't think it's ever come up in an interview.

6. quad4x

quad4x Member

2.66 GPA from UT comp sci
    still got into law school at UH

your GPA will fade as time passes and what you do more recently like at a job is always more important in job interviews

7. parmesh

parmesh Member

Heh...had to bump this thread to join in here, this one hits home for me. Went to UH at the fresh age of 16. Had a scholarship and internship with a contractor. Got a 3.0 in CS and transferred to UT to continue it. First year there...2.75 GPA. Second year...Everything non-academic hit me hard and my GPA tanked. I mean, I wasn't even thinking about school really, I was just in a horrible place mentally. (One big negative of skipping grades, sometimes you mature at the wrong times!)

Lost my self-respect looking at numbers and grades, lost my scholarship/internship of course, and lost my passion for something I loved since I was a kid. Being a Junior with a terrible GPA, being a shell of my former self, and only 19... it all left me a bit displaced. But I rededicated myself, went back to UH. Learned to block things out, got medication for my needs. Didn't get the best grades at first but at least they were acceptable. Now I'm on track to graduate soon with something over a 3.0 GPA in CS getting both a BS and a MS, and I'm a lot happier. :grin:

The thing is realize...yeah you ****ed up. It sucks! But guess what, you learned your lesson, even though it was the hard way. You tell yourself you will not do it again, and you mean it. You pick yourself back up, find out what you feel like doing, and do it all the way. Dwelling in the past is absolutely useless, and leads to nothing but a self-perpetuating cycle of misery.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yeah similar story here. Started off real well my freshman year at a 3.8. During my sophomore/junior year, I went through some personal issues and I completely lost focus. My GPA would be much higher if I had dropped a couple of classes I knew were doomed to fail early on. I stopped attending them after the second week but didn't want to drop them at the deadline because I thought my financial aid would be taken away and I would have to pay for them myself. I don't think I was in the right state of mind at all because I had already convinced myself I was just going to quit soon enough. Really stupid mistake that dropped my GPA big time. I wised up my senior year and raised my GPA up to a 3.0 which is where I'm at right now. I worked hard and earned almost all A's with a few B's these last 3 semesters. I retook those classes I failed and aced them easily. Too bad UH doesn't replace grades, only averages them though :( .

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

what is considered an impressive GPA?

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Probably 3.5 and above.

11. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

I had my worst GPA last Fall semester sophomore year with a 3.4 b/c of BME. Changed majors b/c I didn't want my cumulative GPA to fall further, and Engineering was hard. You cannot afford to have a low GPA for Med, Pharm, Dental, etc.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

At my alma mater, these were the requirements for graduating "with honors".

Summa c*m Laude = 3.8+
    Magna c*m Laude = 3.6-3.79 (This is how I graduated)
    c*m Laude = 3.4-3.59

But schools use different methods.

A&M is 3.5 minimum. UT is higher. UH is 3.25 minimum.

13. The Drake

The Drake Member

D is for Diploma

/kanyeshrug

14. AXG

AXG Member

My GPA went down to a 3.6 after a really bad semester. After reading some of the comments here, I don't feel so bad anymore. ;)

15. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Heres how i got screwed recently. Well i did it to myself but anyways...I got my associates from san jac 2 weeks ago. When i started off college i was the dumb*** that knew nothing about dropping a class. So i just racked up like 4 F's. I was hovering around the .4 range. Then after multiple academic probations and suspensions i finally decided to start taking community college ( ;) ) serious.

So in the past year i have been busting my tail trying to meet UHCL's requirement which is Associates degree with a 2.0. I took 15 hours last spring, 12 hours in the summer and 18 this past fall all while working 40 hours, not having melo as a rocket. Well after i applied to UH i went to see why i didnt get accepted, they tell me its because i have a bunch of classes that i retook where i got F's and D's in and replaced them with A's. San jac replaces them, UH does not.

I have a 2.2 at san jac but 1.8 according to UHCL. I am still taking a few classes at san jac that will be able to transfer over. The advisor said that i might get to 2.0 with all A's but no guarantee. Heres my question...are there any schools in the houston area that accept the 2.2 GPA? My guess is that any school that does is probably not one that i want to attend.

16. The Bird

The Bird Member

Same here I had about 1 B my whole entire undergrad and that was my 2nd sem senior year. I just stop caring then

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

18. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Ya my gpa wasn't so great after freshman year when i made a 3.8. However, I didn't give a sh$% I just wanted to gtfo of there : /

19. Asian Sensation

Not with these bad boys.

[​IMG]

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Gotta disagree with you there, I start med school in August and my GPA is pretty bad, but you have to make up for it in other areas. If any one is reading this and has a low GPA it is not the end of the world like you think it is, just work your butt off to show that you've improved and won't make those mistakes again.