1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ever had a low GPA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch City1993, Dec 9, 2009.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want to say that our school counted an A+ the same as an A- when calculating GPA...for some reason my memory is fuzzy :eek:

well maybe for your first job because after that no one cares.

You can skip the good GPA by having good connections.

2. Asian Sensation

Sounds like you missed out on a lot of fun.

Hey OP, just remember C's make Degrees. It's all about getting the diploma. What you do with it after is what matters most.

3. raj87

raj87 Member

Fair enough, buddy. :cool:

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

GPA is important if you want to go to grad school, law school etc.

Once you are in the work force, no one really cares about your GPA that much.

5. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Then he better start hoping he's partying with the rich execs =P... I agree though, once the GPA gets you a job, it won't help much.. unless of course you're going for masters.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

Yes I is.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

You speak the truth, my friend.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Cleverly designed "who here is an Asian" thread.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

More like what is your gpa.

People with low GPAs will say GPA doesn't matter.

People with high GPA will say the opposite.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I had around 3.4 GPA and even got into med school, but I will tell you that GPA doesn't really matter in the real world after a certain time. Even what school you graduated from doesn't matter after a while. Unless you are applying to professional school that is where GPA really counts.

Per semester I would just attend class maybe on the first day, exam day and final day. I would study on my own during the mean time. You don't need to spend alot of time in class to succeed. You just have to be motivated enough.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Also depends on what is your major. There are classes where you could just read and get A, then there are classes that will kill you even if you try your hardest. There is a saying in my school there is EE and there is little ee.

Electric Engineering vs Elementary Education. :)

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I got a 0.9 at Iowa State followed by a nice letter saying you might want to rethink this whole college thing. I "erased" that by racking up $425 in parking tickets which must be paid before they will release my transcripts to anyone. I then went to U of H as new student - one who does not know this person in IA slandering my good name.

Ahhh - the college years...

13. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Honestly, even though my GPA probably helped a little bit in getting my first internship/job offer, I'd say my extracurricular activities helped me more than what I did in class. For one of my interviews basically all we talked about was my experience doing VITA and being in student government. For the internship I got, we pretty much just talked about a service trip I did in New Orleans.

Just remember that even if you don't have enough time to get your GPA where you want it, it sounds like you have enough time to pick up leadership experience and interesting activities. Plus, once you get past your first job, your GPA won't matter and it'll be all about what you do on the job and the networking you've done. Hang in there.

14. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Sometimes internships do look at GPA and those Interships are what can land you the job you would love to have. So I think it is important, but I do agree after a certain point it doesn't matter what school or what GPA you have.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Well what I been told by several employers (through connections) and even professors is that GPA's don't matter after you get your foot in the door. Yes I do have a low GPA, but I've had two internships already and have gotten some great connections.

I wish I could of done better and yes I do actually care about my GPA but different issues in life gave me a hard time trying to do well in school, I'm trying my best to graduate above a 3.0 and so far I know I'm going to raise it this semester above a 3 :).

16. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

If you know foreign language, you can take the credit test and get free A's.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Your high school GPA only matters to undergrad.
    Your undergrad GPA only matters for Grad school.
    You Grad school GPA pretty much matters to no one.

Basically your GPA only matters to get you to the next step in school. If you're not taking this path then it doesn't matter.

When I graduated Business school we had to put our GPA on our resumes on the school's system for recruitment purposes. In the 5 years since I have never had anyone ask, it's not posted on your diploma, as long as you have a diploma no one cares.

That being said since my job is paying for my MBA I have to maintain at least a B which is about my only motivation to keep above a C these days.

18. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Hey I'm in the exact same boat. My GPA kept slipping over the years, and I'm trying to get into Physical Therapy School. It's going to suck since it's very competitive. Sometimes I wonder why I became a Biology major.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Brillant, I always wondered if that works. When I applied for my Grad program I didn't send one of my transcripts for one semester. I was accepted with no questions asked.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

GPA basically doesn't matter at all when it comes to getting a job.

It's nice if you can just manage to get above a 3.0 in case someone asks in those first few job interviews right out of school.

And then no one will ever care again.