1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even Rednecks Are Pro-Obama

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081009/pl_afp/usvoteobamarednecks

SAINT LOUIS, Missouri (AFP) - When Barack Obama's campaign bus made a swing through Missouri in July, the unlikeliest of supporters were waiting for him -- or rather two of them, holding the banner: "Rednecks for Obama."

In backing the first African-American nominee of a major party for the US presidency, the pair are on a grassroots mission to bridge a cultural gap in the United States and help usher their preferred candidate into the White House.

Tony Viessman, 74, and Les Spencer, 60, got politically active last year when it occurred to them there must be other lower income, rural, beer-drinking, gun-loving, NASCAR race enthusiasts fed up with business as usual in Washington.

Viessman had a red, white and blue "Rednecks for Obama" banner made, and began causing a stir in Missouri, which has emerged as a key battleground in the run-up to the November 4 presidential election.

"I didn't expect it would get as much steam and attention as it's gotten," Spencer told AFP on the campus of Washington University in Saint Louis, the state's biggest city and site of last week's vice-presidential debate.

"We believe in him. He's the best person for the job," Viessman, a former state trooper from Rolla, said of Obama, who met the pair briefly on that July day in Union, Missouri.

The candidate bounded off his bus and jogged back towards a roadside crowd to shake hands with the men holding the banner.

"He said 'This is incredible'," Spencer recalled.

It's been an unexpectedly gratifying run, Viessman said.

Rednecks4obama.com claims more than 800,000 online visits. In Denver, Colorado, Viessman and Spencer drew crowds at the Democratic convention, and at Washington University last Thursday they were two of the most popular senior citizens on campus.

"I'm shocked, actually, but excited" that such a demographic would be organizing support for Obama, said student Naia Ferguson, 18, said after hamming it up for pictures behind the banner.

"When most people think 'redneck,' they think conservatives, anti-change, even anti-integration," she said. "But America's changing, breaking stereotypes."

A southern comedian, Jeff Foxworthy, defines the stereotype as a "glorious lack of sophistication".

Philistines or not, he said, most rural southerners are no longer proponents of the Old South's most abhorrent ideology -- racism -- and that workaday issues such as the economy are dominating this year's election.

"We need to build the economy from the bottom up, none of this trickle down business," Spencer said. "Just because you're white and southern don't mean you have to vote Republican."

To an important degree, however, race is still the elephant in the polling booth, experts say, and according to a recent Stanford University poll, Obama could lose six points on election day due to his color.

Racism "has softened up some, but it's still there," Viessman acknowledged from Belmont University, site of Tuesday's McCain-Obama debate in Nashville, Tennessee.

Despite representing the heartland state of Illinois, and having a more working-class upbringing than his Republican rival John McCain, Obama has struggled to shoot down the impression that he is an arugula-eating elitist.

Surely he alienated many rural voters earlier this year when the Harvard-educated senator told a fundraiser that some blue-collar voters "cling to guns or religion".

But Viessman, who says he owns a dozen guns, said Obama "ain't gonna take your guns away."

The South traditionally votes Republican -- victories for southerners Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter were exceptions -- but with less than a month to election day, four states in or bordering the South are considered toss-ups: Florida, Missouri, North Carolina and Virginia.

Viessman says he'd like to think his grassroots movement could sway enough people in small-town America to make a difference.

"There's lots of other rednecks for Obama too," he said. "And the ones that's not, we're trying our best to convince them."

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

This is like when basso posts an article that a black person is voting for McCain...

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl54Xex0nag&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kl54Xex0nag&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A movement like this has the potential to be extremely powerful. It gives "rednecks" the permission to vote in their economic self interest and helps move the demographic away from its most toxic tendency- racism.

To be clear, I'm not saying all rednecks are racist.

5. mic

mic Contributing Member

Ha. Not the rednecks where I live...

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Let's see which candidate cares about education? The one who graduated 5th from the bottom or the one who graduated from Columbia University and Harvard Law School, where he served as president of the Harvard Law Review. The one who was spoon fed or the one who actually had to work at it..

I'm not pro 100% Obama because I'm against his stance on School Vouchers but I do think he knows more about our education problem than McCain. And even though it is Cliche he was like one of us who had to work for it.

7. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

shouldn't the title be prObama?

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

what will school vouchers do to public schools? public schools need to get BETTER not worse.

9. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

10. Lil Pun

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please Explain how that works?

Rocket River
    I'm against Vouchers

12. Lil Pun

I thought he was saying vouchers would send more children to private schools and away from public schools thereby making the public schools worse off than before. I could be wrong about what he was stating though.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I beleive - It will make public schools worse
    AT BEST - the private schools will cherry pick the best students
    along with supplementing the payments of the rich who can already afford it
    the result
    their school with the better resources and now even the better students will
    not look super . . . and this is all things being equal . ..
    superior students and resources will make a better school . .
    regardless of whether they have better teachers or teaching methods

Meanwhile
    Poorer schools, now having been liberated of their superior students
    and still have inferior resources will be made to look even worse
    once again
    regardless of whether they have better teachers or teaching methods

The result . .the 'superior' schools will look like vouchers are working
    and then they can says see the poor schools suck even more
    when
    the reality is . .. simply putting all the better students in one place with better resources will automatically give the appearence of superior learning that is independent of teaching methods, teachers or to an extend 'learning environment'

Vouchers system is simple scraping all the cheese on the pizza to one side
    The sum total of the system does not change
    except not Rich folx get a rebate on their School payments
    Private schools get a bump in income
    Public school will go the way of the dodo or will simply become a self forfilling prophesy of failure
    a new America where education . . a good education is a 'privilge' and not a 'right' . . which someone who are advocating this system . . beleive anyway. Some beleive you should only be as educated as you can afford.

I am amazed that folx will say don't throw money at it . . won't fix it
    but
    will turn around and say taking money from it . . and think that will????

Rocket River

14. IROC it

It's a veiled "nothing to see here / made you look" thing.

Humor.

15. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'm currently writing a seminar paper on this topic. Rather than changing the direction of the whole thread, I'll post some points:

Vouchers overwhelmingly go to those with financial need. They don't go to those who already are able to pay for the schooling.

Money isn't an indicator of performance. The private schools that get this money spend much less per pupil than the public schools that are failing. Money does not equal success.

Vouchers have the added incentive of getting the attention of public schools more than any other school choice options.

Are vouchers a perfect option? Probably not. That's why people seem to be favoring more educational tax credits as opposed to vouchers. However, these will, in my mind, actually benefit the lower income levels less than vouchers would.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It would be interesting if either you or RR would start a vouchers thread for discussion.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Saw an interview with the Dem Governor of NC... he thinks there might be a sizable number of folks who will not admit to voting for Obama but will nonetheless punch his name in the voting booth... kind of a reverse Bradley effect.

19. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I don't know...rednecks...

they've got the bloodlines....right?

20. IROC it

What does that mean? :confused: