1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Even If the Rockets Lose Scola, They May Get an Asset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Jul 13, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

While I certainly don't want to see Luis Scola leave--I cannot make that point clearly enough--the events of the past day or so have gotten me thinking.

For those of you paying close enough attention, Anthony Morrow was just signed and traded by the Warriors to the New Jersey Nets in exchange for a heavily-protected 2011 second round pick (which will likely never be conveyed). What the Warriors DID get was a trade exception in the amount of Morrow's starting salary.

So, extrapolating from that . . .

Let's say that New Jersey decided to way overpay for Scola (even though recent reports say that Morey has successfully scared them off). Perhaps they agree in principle (the "in principle" is the key here) to an offer that would pay Scola $55M over 5 years. Let's also say that the Rockets aren't quite willing to match that big a contract offer.

Rather thank risk losing Scola to a matching of their offer sheet, the Nets (much as they did with Morrow) may likely give the Rockets an opportunity to sign and trade Scola to New Jersey. This benefits both parties. The Nets avoid the matching risk, plus they are able to get Scola at a slightly reduced cap number (assuming that Luis agrees to take a little less the first year but to make it up on the back end). This is possible due to the fact that the Rockets could offer 10.5% annual raises instead of the 8% raises New Jersey could offer. Meanwhile, the Rockets could get a future second rounder (maybe without protection, since Scola is a much better player than Morrow) and a TRADE EXCEPTION.

In the current example, the Rockets would net themselves a $9.09M trade exception.

[EDIT @ 6:21 pm: Stevierebel correctly pointed out that, due to Scola's BYC status, the trade exception would only be half of Scola's starting salary. Still, the same principle holds true. The Rockets would get a trade exception, albeit a $4.55M one. Still, that's a nice asset as compared to nothing.]

While certainly not as large as those now held by Cleveland (for Lebron) or Toronto (for Bosh), you have seen the benefits of having a trade exception on display in the past 24 hours, with Phoenix (from Stoudemire) and Utah (from Boozer) able to make significant trades. Dallas (with Dampier's non-guaranteed contract) made a move using an asset that was tantamount to a trade exception.

Yes, yes, yes. It would be terrible to lose Scola. I don't want that to happen. I'm sure most people don't, either.

But it is very likely that IF he were to be poached by New Jersey, the Rockets could still make out with decent asset to use at the February trade deadline or the first part of next summer.

#1 BimaThug, Jul 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
    3 people like this.
  2. sammy

sammy Member

Great point :)

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If we lose scola, what little chance we had as contenders disappears and we become pretenders.

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

No way is Scola going to leave...I'll bet he'd be willing to take a pay cut and be close to CONTENDING than go to the NETS (aka. the team that almost broke the NBA record for worst season)

5. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If the Rockets lose Scola...they got themselves an asset my ass...more like BIG ass of POOPS!!

And you can say goodbye to any hope of a Championship.

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Horrible.

DO ppl remember our pf situation before Scola arrived. We
    re talking about he best pf we've had since a the over-the-mill barkley days. if we have scola.

we would've beaten the mavs in 05 in 5 games.

7. rockets934life

The trade exception would be a nice consolation prize but unless Morey planned to use it THIS summer to replace Luis, I'd feel very worried about going into the season with Chuck Hayes or Jordan Hill as our starting PForward.

8. mofuggin_OG

mofuggin_OG Member

we need scola's hair to win a title though...

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I agree, a trade exception as big as $9 million could be a big asset around the trade deadline.

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

(Sigh.) :rolleyes:

Maybe I didn't use a font size big enough for many of the early posters in this thread.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR LOSING SCOLA!!!

The entire point of this thread was to provide some information that may not have been part of the realm of people's knowledge: that the Rockets could possibly salvage an asset EVEN IF they lost Scola.

How did that become, "Everything's okay if we lose Scola! We got a trade exception!"???

Sometimes, I don't know why I bother.

1 person likes this.
  11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

$10,973,202 would be a nice sized exception to have at the deadline. Granger anyone? Could we do the above proposed deal and maybe throw in Andersen or Hill to get the exception up to that size?

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

if we lose Scola posters will start overreacting as shown above. Then when Morey pulls a trade for Paul or Granger they will praise him again like no other. Typical Clutchfans overreaction.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I think that would only generate a second small exception in the amount of Andersen's or Hill's salary. Not 100% positive on that one, but pretty sure.

The Rockets could always ask New Jersey to just pay Scola that much in the first year. It can't hurt to ask, can it? :grin:

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Not sure if this was directed to me but I never said that losing Scola wouldn't hurt. In fact I believe he's the difference between a contender and a low playoff seed. I just agree with what you have already said, which is all hope is not lost.

15. choujie

choujie Member

So what do you want? Nobody cares if the team loses Scola? Nobody cares if the teams gets Paul?

16. studogg

studogg Member

been down that road before.

two words : Glen Rice

17. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Interesting point Bima but I only see this happening if Morey is absolutely positive about a future trade in Feb or next summer. They are in win-now mode with Yao's age, I don't see them giving up something with getting something directly in return.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good point, but I would rather have Scola for sure than having a trade exception with which I may or may not get a future player who may (very unlikely) or may not (most likely) be similarly valuable to us as Scola.

19. xiki

xiki Member

Your point is irrefutable. I think, however, there are other aspects to Scoa and the Nyets:

1 DM the GM said that had the deal to get to #2 had gone thru then Favors was the choice
    2 to my knowledge Favors has not yet signed
    3 a 5-yr deal with Favors and Scola on the roster makes little sense
    4 The Russian wants to usurp the NY market; he's failing miserably, to date
    5 If Proko et al did make an offer as you suggest to Luis then
    6 I believe the possibility is a deal with Scola and Favors, a draft pick and Humphries.
    7 The Rox get under lux cap, get the man they wanted, still have a $6mm +/- TE
    8 Still use assets to try and get the superstud they want and need

20. xiki

xiki Member

Re: #7 - is the Rox TE of @$3mm enough to get Humphries, leaving the $9mm TE in place?