1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[@EvanSilva] - "Good team with arrow pointing down = #Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rick Rambis, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

[​IMG]

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

I just wish he, and many others, would own the final six games of last year. If you want to argue Schaub shrinks from the spotlight, I think those 6 games provide ample fodder. If you think he's declining, again, those six games are damning.

But nobody - absolutely nobody (save for the usual suspects) - thought Schaub was a "liability" (his word) after 12 regualr season games last year. He had just finished a 3-game stretch in which he had thrown for 1,049 yards, completed 71% of his passes, averaged 7.6 YPA, and thrown 8 TDs against only 3 INTs. I mean, the guy was on a 15-1 stretch, and the vast majority of us thought the difference between a second round exit in 2011 and a Super Bowl berth was Matthew Rutledge Schaub.

Also, I think he's falling victim to a pretty pedestrian, 1000-yard view of the Colts. Losing Bruce Arians is huge - do we even know if Chuck Pagano is a good coach? Meanwhile, a pretty average team won a lot of close and late games; that speaks more to luck than it does anything else. They feel like the 2006 Titans, an average team playing over its head, which no one recognizes because the shiny new QB is blinding them.

And Max, yeah - come on, man - the schedule has literally been set since 2002, save for two games. Although, to be fair - those two games can be huge. They drew the Browns and Chiefs; we got Ravens and Broncos.

3. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Yea I go back and forth on the Colts. They had soooo many wins that just seemed so lucky. So to me there are two modes of thinking :
    1) they got lucky too many times last year and played above their true talent level
    2) the growth of their rookie QB and other young players causes them to see improvement next year independent of their flukey wins

I do know one thing, they will not have success in the future unless the keep Luck from getting hit. He was hit more times than any QB in the league.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Playing over its head and with their emotions cranked up to 11 every week due to the whole "Chuck Strong" saga. I don't think people take that into consideration. I won't be surprised if there's a huge emotional letdown this season.

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

I didn't know that. Sorry.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

What other young players, though? That team drafted terribly for many, many years. Other than Luck, I don't think I'd switch a single Texan for their starter at the same position. I went back and looked at their drafts since 2007... it is frightening how terrible they are.

They won 11 games; 9 were by 7 or fewer points. That feels like a team headed back to Earth; and Silva not recognizing that calls into question his depth of knowledge They could be legit; Andrew Luck is certainly very good. But they feel waaaaaay too easy and obvious and everyone is ignoring a lot of red flags with them. When you combine that with his, "it's obviously the QB"-level of insight on the Texans, it speaks of a man who doesn't really have any insight at all.

7. SSP365

SSP365 Member

you're not welcome.

here comes the repugnant kubiak & schaub ball slurpers.

congrats on winning the worst division in football. if peyton never broke his neck your post wouldnt exist.

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Its true the team has drafted terribly for several straight years now. I am not saying I believe it, but I know Silva does as evidenced by his incessant tweeting on the Colts. There was a discussion that the 2012 Colts draft is the greatest single season offensive draft class ever: Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard and maybe Lavon Brazill. Which on paper is probably correct seeing as how they have 6 players who have contributed in their rookie season. I dont have another option and I am not willing to do the work to debunk this theory either.

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

OK, let's take the AFC South out of play. The Texans have played 20 games outside of the division over the past two seasons. They won 13 of them (65%), a winning percentage barely below their overall mark (68.75%) and good enough to independently qualify for the playoffs in both years. Oh, and the Texans went on to win a playoff game in both years against teams not from the AFC South.

Speaking of repugnant, what's your next excuse?

10. SSP365

SSP365 Member

wow you really are a kubiak/schaub ball sac licker.

CONGRATS ON BEATING ANDY DALTON AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS.

What happens almost every time we go up against an elite qb and team?

WE GET CRUSHED.

I cant understand the idolatry behind this qb/coach tandem.

Its mind boggling.

WE ARE NOT WINNING A SUPER BOWL WITH KUBIAK AND SCHAUB AT THE HELM.

THAT IS A FACT.

DEAL WITH IT.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ed Redd didn't tell the Texans about his hip huh? I guess he's out of te good ole boy circle of trust.

12. The Cat

The Cat Member

Great point. Like when we played Peyton Manning's Broncos in Denver and the aforementioned "Joe Cool" and the eventual champion Ravens... oh, wait.

1.) It's hard to have facts when it comes to future events.

2.) You're moving the goalposts all over the place. The reason you got called out over your bull**** was calling Schaub/Kubiak "glorified backups", despite the fact that the team has won 24 games over the past two years, including multiple playoff games. That proves they're doing things better than the vast majority of franchises, which logically unravels any "should be a backup" claim.

Now, though, you've jumped from "glorified backup" to "not winning a Super Bowl". Good lord, man, talk about apples and oranges. 1 team out of 32 (3%) wins the Super Bowl each year. That means 97% don't. I have a hard time using that as the standard for whether Kubiak and Schaub are below-average at their positions.

Believe it or not, there's a middle ground between "best QB/coach on the planet" and "OMG THAT GUY SUCKS".

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Come on, The Cat - you've been doing this long enough to know that the Texans only played three games that mattered last year: Green Bay and twice against New England. 0-3. Season = failed because the other 16 games were irrelevant.

THAT IS A FACT.

DEAL WITH IT.

14. solid

solid Member

Matt Schaub is not among the top 15 "fantasy" quarterbacks, Andy Dalton is. Interesting.

sports.yahoo.com/news/top-15-fantacy-quarterbacks-093026300--nfl.html.

15. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Member

The emergence of the Texans defense the past few years has caused Schaub's fantasy numbers to drop.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Plus I view the Bengals as more of a pass oriented offense than the Texans.

Why do you think they always lose to good defensive teams like ours, too reliant on the pass.

17. conquistador#11

If foster decided to quit and star in some hbo show, our passing numbers would be that of 2009. Personally, I like the balance, as not many offenses can pull off a 4,000 yard passer and an 1,400 yard rusher in the same season. But at times, like when the defense is flooding all cut back lanes, I'd wish we just go four receivers like the kyle days. It's all in hindsight though.

It's a shame, that a system that relies so heavily on the offensive line for its running and passing attack, had to go through a rebuilding phase last year. I expect Newton and brooks to hold their own this year.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

ok yep fantasy football = real football. :rolleyes:

Flacco is not in the top 15, but romo is. Interesting.

that means that romo is better than the current superbowl MVP?

also matt schaub is not throwing the ball more, because the texans have a top 3 RB, and in the first weeks, the game was already over by the 4th qtr, so there was no need to throw the ball.

in the detroit system is throw the ball to calvin johnson, thats it, so obviously stafford is going to have great fantasy points.

19. solid

solid Member

ok yep there is no connection between fantasy football and real football, not even related or connected in any way. :rolleyes:

20. The Cat

The Cat Member

One is attempting to put up the best statistical numbers for one individual position. The other is attempting to win games.

Apples, meet oranges.