1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[@EvanSilva] - "Good team with arrow pointing down = #Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rick Rambis, Jun 5, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

No owner in the league (who isn't insane) is going to put a coach coming off of back to back 12-4 seasons and the 1st 2 playoff wins in franchise history on the hot seat.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

10-6 and 12-4 - but yes, I obviously agree. Its stunning how far in the rearview mirror 2011 is with so many of these people. Kubiak won a division *and a playoff game* with TJ Yates less than 17 months ago.... and he, along with the QB everyone thinks would have elevated that 2011 season to even greater heights, should be on the hot seat?

Again, I can't fathom this level of entitlement...

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

My mind always says 10-4 for the 2011 season, since those last 2 games were so fluky. We basically forfeited that last game when we went for 2 instead of overtime.

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ahmad Bradshaw would cement <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Colts">#Colts</a> as new AFC South favorites in my mind. Already thought they were grabbing driver's seat in that division.</p>&mdash; Evan Silva (@evansilva) <a href="https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/342744260577226752">June 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Puh-lease.

5. The Cat

The Cat Member

Yeah, he has to be trolling at this point. A running back that's been a free agent for 3 months and will be part of a committee system with Ballard suddenly makes the difference in the entire division? Good lord, if he's serious, what an agenda-driven hack.

6. Mashing

Mashing Member

I think our defense is going to be able to keep us in games even in down years. We do need an overhaul on offense soon though.

7. ipaman

ipaman Member

This troll doesn't deserve a thread, MODS should send this thread to the grave

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

now he's really starting to piss me off!

that's just ...wrong

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

Ridiculous...Ahmad Bradshaw's impact on the Colts is in no way greater than or equal to the impact of not playing a scheduled based on a one-win season.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Member

True, but that was not my point. My point is that whether or not you believe Schaub is the Texan's solution at QB next season, they do need to address QB. And... the teams that have been successful over time... Niners and Seahawks last year (stretching it a bit, you could say the Colts went from Manning to Luck), but the patriots were able to go from Bledsoe to Brady, and the Packers were able to go from Favre to Rodgers... and way in time, Niners went from Montana to Young).

Sure, most teams in the NFL don't have this transition covered. heck, many teams are lucky to even have a good QB.

But... regardless of how you feel about Schaub... are you comfortable with how the Texans have approached QB? And if you are not a Schaub fan (I'd consider myself a Schaub fan for the most part)... who would you replace him with?

11. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I am so glad you said this, cause I've been saying it for the past two seasons. People really get caught up in numbers instead of looking at the whole picture. And yes, weaknesses and shortcomings really show when you are winning and playing meaningful football games. Schaub had these same problems since he got here. He should have not got that big extention. He will be the main reason we dont go any further (notice I said main reason, cause I know there will be other reasons). He can manage a game, but cant win you any.

12. The Cat

The Cat Member

The past two seasons? Including the one in 2011 where the Schaub-led Texans were 7-3 and just destroying teams week-in, week-out before his injury?

You're right that he's not going to "win" games in the sense of elevating a supporting cast that's only decent. But if the team is stout like it was in 2011, he is good enough to win. Just have to hope we find that form again this fall (looking in the direction of Brandon Brooks, Derek Newton and Brennan Williams :)).

13. meh

meh Member

I've probably been as hard on the Texans as anyone, but even I don't see the arrow pointing down. More like <-> for me. I still think we're nearly automatic for the division win. Just can't see us making the Super Bowl.

14. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Yes the past two seasons. Quit looking at the numbers and look at his play. The offense is designed for him to hit open wr's and te's, but most of those catches were made with OD and Andre making shoestring catches or adjustments on the ball. I know it is a team sport and the receivers need to help the QB out, but on just about every throw. You can count on one hand how many times Schaub threw a pass where the receiver could catch and run, or threw into traffic/coverage for a completion. Any NFL QB should be able to hit a wide open receiver. Those special ones throw receivers open.

I understand Schaub is just a game manager, and will not make many mistakes. The problem is he won't win you games, and that may work in the regular season but won't in the playoffs against a worthy opponent. Now we are relied on the defense playing lights out against Brady, Manning etc because Schaub won't do enough to outscore those guys. I will say that Kubiac needs to ease up and let Schaub do what his supporters think he can. But maybe he has the reigns on him for good reason.

15. The Cat

The Cat Member

Matt Schaub completed 350 passes last year, and "most of them" or "just about every throw" -- statistically, that's at least 200 and probably closer to 250 or 300 -- required shoestring catches or major adjustments? :rolleyes:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vEet6YL5NY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vEet6YL5NY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Here's just a few highlights, including several deep balls that were perfectly positioned. But these are clearly the minority. You know, Rick Smith must be an idiot -- if they had receivers that were great enough to make 300 shoestring catches per year, why on earth did they use a first-round pick on one? They already must have the most amazing group of WRs on earth, to somehow make all these adjustments and win 13 games.

If it was as simple as the system just leaving guys wide open, then A) you wouldn't have seen the enormous dropoff you saw in 2011 when we went from Schaub to Leinart/Yates and B) every team in the NFL would hire a Kubiak/Shanahan disciple and run the same offense. Because if Schaub is as flawed as you say and the Texans' passing offense is still this successful, then Kubiak must be running one of the greatest schemes in NFL history.

In all seriousness, I think the problem is you look at things as incredibly black or white. Either Schaub "wins" a game, or the defense "wins" a game. In reality, it's not that simple. The Texans aren't paper tigers feasting on weaklings in the regular season. They beat Peyton Manning and the Broncos in Denver. They beat the Ravens by 30. These are playoff teams. They were destroying teams week after week before Schaub's injury in 2011. It wasn't just Schaub winning those games, and it wasn't just the defense or any other particular player or unit -- it was the cumulative effect.

In 2011, come playoff time, the defense held up its end of the bargain but the dropoff from Schaub to Yates was too much. For 2012, Schaub was out there and the offense was respectable, but the defense with Cushing out and Joseph hobbled couldn't hold up its end. Would love to see what happens this year if the injury gods are in our corner.

16. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It would require out D to be firing on all cylinders, Hopkins to be playing well, and our team near 100% healthy to have a legit superbowl shot.

I was very anit Denver last year when everyone was considering them for the superbowl. They were a very good team, but just not Superbowl ready. I think after a season with Peyton and the addition of Welker, they're going to be very hard to beat... That being said, I think we might have the best chance (in the AFC) to beat Denver.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Why the week 1 matters more than the rest of the season? what if the tie breaking was against other team? then the jets wouldnt be so important.

And you dont remember that 09 season do you? here are three big moments that could have changed the playoffs that year:

the texans won against the Patriots in week 17, to keep in the hunt, and the Patriots, while they didnt have anything to play on week 17, they still played with all the starters for all the game (Welker got injured, and Brady only was resting for the last drive in the 1st half). so they still won a game that mattered.

Also the Colts that were 14-0 decided to rest peyton manning and the rest of their starters in the 2nd half, because they already had clinched everything. so Painter played in the 2nd half and he had 1 fumble returned to TD and and 1 INT. so the jets won, if Peyton plays that game, then the texans would control their destiny instead of the jets.

Also the bengals in week 17, also rested their starters, because they already clinched a playoff spot, and had nothing to play.
    so the opponents gave them 2 free games and a ticket to the playoffs.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

and I said in other thread, but you always need the defense and offense to play great to win.
    Brady hasnt win any superbowl lately because the NE defense sucks, even when he plays lights out and score bunch of points, they still lose because the defense allowed more points.

Baltimore scored the same points against NE than the texans, the difference: the ravens defense played lights out against Brady making him throwing INTs, the texans defense didnt do any of this against him.

in the broncos - ravens game, the special teams had to play lights out because manning played awful that game, and the defense allowed a late TD.
    if the broncos didnt got those kick returns for TD, then ravens would have won that game easily in regulation.

19. ubigred

ubigred Member

What guys are you alluding to?

20. The Cat

The Cat Member

Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Joe Flacco...