1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evan Mobley scouting report - Nate Duncan podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 6, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The history of picking anybody in the top 5 let alone # 2 is mostly bad.

I have no idea why people keep using that against bigs.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This thread smells like a unicorn fart.

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hope they will.

4. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Some of this breakdown has me thinking Mobley maybe a top 5 pick. Glad we have 2 but it’s clear who we need to take

5. dmoneybangbang

Of course it does.... The podcast and summary went over pretty well.....

"-There hasn’t been a player, a big, for me that has had a larger margin between what they could be if everything works out — the theory of him on offense & defense, if both hit vs. not the worst case scenario but the 50% scenario. There’s a lot of really intriguing elements of Mobley’s game. A lot tantalized by Mobley offensively. To me, what struck me so much was I expected to be more confident in what he is and what he’ll be than I ended up being."

6. dmoneybangbang

Because it's where all unicorn bigs get taken..... ;)

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you basing all of this on that podcast?

This is why I used the word gospel.

These are just 2 guys who have a somewhat informed opinion like a lot of other "experts" and those other experts do not agree that he has the highest variant.

And Unicorn has nothing to do with what they said?

D-rock, clutchdabear and CriscoKidd like this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Because people that pick a big at 2 are reaching for size. It's the better players they passed up in 3-5 that make more of an impact than your big at 2. A good big is a no brainer pick at 1 or someone who slips down in the 5-15 range.

10. HardenVolumeOne

If al horford is what you are expecting a top 2 pick to be, then trade the pick if you cant get cunningham

11. dmoneybangbang

You check the thread title? You check which thread you are posting? Why are you putting words into mouth?

Again, you are back to denigrating the evaluators because you don't like it. This is the most in depth and the most recent evaluation by a reputable source. I agreed with this beforehand and came to this conclusion about variance when I noticed he's an elite defense force within a soft division with a soft schedule. My posting history shows I've been saying he's a high variance player because of his unicorn expectations.

If Mobley isn't a "unicorn" to you that's fine, but he's still this supposed 7 foot, two way elite, do everything prospect. Or at least that's why you draft him at #2.

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with the fact that most of the 1st round can be considered busts?

What are you basing the bolded part on, can I see the percentages and how often this has happened?

How many bigs have been picked at 2 in the last 20 years?

Should we just trade down and pick him at 3 will that fix the jinx.:rolleyes:

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, this “not ready immediately” or “will take longer to develop” stuff is irrelevant to me because the Rockets won’t be doing anything of note any time soon…that is not a reason to pass on Mobley

people need to be prepared for a likely outcome of Green struggling to start his career too…he is thin and needs to put on weight/get stronger…a rookie like Cade already has 40 lbs on him

KPJr is struggling with efficiency to start his career…it could be the same for Green

Zach Lavine did not have above average efficiency until his 3rd season, and it took until his 7th season for him to have elite efficiency

Bradley Beal didn’t have above average efficiency until his 5th season

those are Green’s 2 most widely used comps

if u look at Lavine and Beal’s production their 1st 3 or 4 seasons, it is quite pedestrian…CF would’ve been disappointed and calling them busts if they were our #2 overall draft pick

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You have been saying this about Mobley in multiple threads what does the thread title have to do with my question.

And Unicorn is not even a part on their discussion about the cons of Mobley so what does the title have to do with that?

How did I denigrate evaluators? I just said I don't rate them any higher than anyone else.

Yes your posting history shows you have been using the unicorn excuse does that make it any more legit?

D-rock likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Zach Lavine is a very good comp, if you told me that would be Green no questions asked I would probably lean Green but even then he would not be a franchise guy.

I really don't understand why people are ignoring the fact that neither of those guys are franchise changing guys but somehow Green will?

I don't think Mobley is gonna be a franchise guy either, I just think finding a good to great guard is easier to find.

sydmill likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And if you can't trade?

What's wrong with Horford at 2?

Do people not know the history of the entire 1st round of the NBA draft?

17. dmoneybangbang

Lol. Unicorn is irrelevant, stop playing gotcha and try comprehending.

I’m tired of you constantly moving the goalposts as your posting history lays out.

18. dmoneybangbang

Lol…. AD/Bosh is a bit different than Horford…..

Another high variance example…..

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lack of explosive plays is BS.

Mobley is very explosive on 1 foot or 2, and possesses a quick 2nd and 3rd jump.

napalm06 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have not moved on goalpost, I have asked you the same question over and over again.

So now Unicorn is irrelevant?

And you wonder why I can't comprehend your argument.