1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Evan Mobley scouting report - Nate Duncan podcast

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spacemoth, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley would come in as a better defender than Wood or Olynyk day one. I would expect Wood to provide more offense the first year though. His instincts and defensive skills are superior to anyone on the Rockets roster. You focus on his weight and size, thinking he'd be that kind of defender, but he's always been a finesse guy. He'll give up ground, then block the shot.

D-rock likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

No.... Mobley was a mediocre rebounder and got pushed around by all players all year long..... It's just the Gonzaga game (the team with the nba prospects) was the hardest test and Mobley pushed out a wet fart.

Not nearly as concerning as Mobley's weight and strength. This alleged elite defensive force gets pushed around by guards and wings in the NCAA?

Well it's both.... Mobley couldn't anchor a USC defense by himself.

That's fine. But this a thread about the Evan Mobley scouting report so it seems on point to be talking about Mobley.

I did respond and you replied back....

3. dmoneybangbang

Which is why I've used the Andrei Kirilenko 2.0 comparison defensively .... I view him as giant wing shot blocking wing. He didn't play the passing lanes like you think he would have in college but he can learn.

I don't doubt Mobley has the strongest defensive skills on paper..... just doing it against NBA players on day1 is a very high bar you set..... I don't think he can finesse his way through day 1 against actual NBA players.

4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually I missed that reply and you were still wrong.;)

Anyway you seem to just want to debate the same talking points, nothing will come from that.

My point has always been I could pick Green apart like that as well but I find that distasteful because I have no reason to be pulling for one guy over the other.

I don't understand why its a "team" thing, why can't we just discuss the actual pros and cons of each prospect and not be out to destroy the other guy?

#184 jiggyfly, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    D-rock likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you VERY much overrate the G league due to a prospect that is being hyped like he's 2012 Jeremy Lin and it's causing you do discount NCAA competition.

Also, sure, Mobley has the strongest defensive skills on paper....Green doesn't have the strongest ANYTHING even on paper, and certainly didn't show to have the strongest ANYTHING against non-NBA level talent in the G league.

If he at least had the strongest something on paper, that would make me buy into the Green hype a bit more. Everything I hear about is either flash or hot air. "He wants to be the best" is not a selling point to me.

Before I put the time in to look into these guys in detail, I bought into the Green hype, but I just didn't find any substance to back it up. All of the draft picks have weaknesses, none of these guys are going to be KD or Lebron but I just find Green to be solidly #4 when talking about the perceived top 4 players in this class.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Green was a top prospect coming out high school and he's a top coming into the NBA draft..... not sure how that's hyped up.

After digging into Mobley, I just don't think he's going to be the defensive force many of yall assume he will be. His body is concerning, his effort is concerning, and is just a lanky, thin ball of potential.

When the prospects are as close to each other as Mobley and Green, why wouldn't I look at their respective competition? Why wouldn't I take that into account? The fact of the matter is Mobley mostly went up against players who will never be good enough to make it to the G League. If the G League is full of scrubs, then what is the NCAA outside of the 60 players that will get drafted? That's like half a conference among many.....

Verbal Christ and CriscoKidd like this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm suggesting that considering him a top prospect IS hype rather than being based on substance. He's a flashy athletic guard that lacks most basketball skills outside of his own individual scoring.....which he was only mediocre at when going against non-NBA level players. I mean, that's good, but is it top prospect good? I have my doubts.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m 95% sure the Rockets select Mobley with #2 pick @edwardc

D-rock likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

I feel both Mobley and Green are ranked appropriately but prefer the latter. The ability to score from all three levels seems more substance than flash but to each their own.

Mobley was pretty flashy in his own right with questionable substance.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

Hmm. ;)

Because you and others keep replying to them so I have to explain and defend my position...

...cause and effect.

.... what a limp handshake kind of answer. Why can't you look at the information and make a decision?

You understand we can't just take all the players in the draft and declare everyone a winner? :cool:

I am discussing the pros and cons.... This is the Evan Mobley scouting report thread no? What should we be discussing in this particular thread? :confused:

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

It is almost a certainty that Mobley will be the better defender between himself, Wood & Olynyk.

Day 1.

JayZ750 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He played on a Hawks team that had 4 all stars (including him).

We're not talking MVP players - so if you're point was he hasn't played with all time greats or the like, my bad... got me there.

But my bigger point was he's played on extremely talented teams basically his whole career. That being the case, he's not a great player to be like, "see what a defensive presence like Horford can do for a team!". he was on good teams (which he added to for sure). Which is why I used Ibaka, who is "basically" the same player (ever so slightly worse... though better DRtg over his career)... when he was on good teams, the teams were. When he was on bad teams, the teams were still bad.

#193 JayZ750, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What?

How the hell is that a limp handshake, do you think you are showing strength by declaring a winner?

Da **** are you talking about declaring everybody a winner?

I am looking at information and making a decision why do I then have to root for one guy over the other?

My guy you are way to invested in this back and forth.

I'm done with you I hope you get satisfaction somewhere.

Limp Handshake?

Really?

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is the highest rated defensive player in college, I only added "almost" a certainty because I can already hear your high pitched screams of "how could you be so certain" or "you should never speak in absolutes" and other pissant whining.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How many of those guys made another all star team?

That was in a very weak east and it was because they had such a good record. Paul Millsap was the best guy he played with on the Hawks.

We disagree that he played with extremely talented teams and Ibaka is nowhere near the same player, Horford is way more versatile.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Well at least you are not considered weak.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think he called you "limp".

:eek:

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If he was playing in the East, and it was weak, and there were 4 all stars including him on the team, and it was a good team, then im not sure what other criteria you want to use? Factually... it was a good team, with lots of good players. Factually there were 4 all star players.

Ibaka comps very favorable to Horford. Statistically, its a virtual tie (slight slight edge Horford). Play style, its similar. I'd say Horford probably a little better putting the ball on the floor and with post moves... a little.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

thread has my attention. remember we are all ROX BROS at the end of the day!