1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Europe in July

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by s land balla, May 21, 2016.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I'm headed to Barcelona on July 5th, but can fly to Europe as early as July 1st, as I'll be flying in from the Middle East where I'll be on business.

Given that I'll already have plenty of free time in Barcelona once I get there, I'd like to take advantage of these 4 nights in between and fly somewhere else in Europe first (July 1st-5th).

Any recommendations? Was thinking something off the beaten path.

#1 s land balla, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

One of these days, you and AroundtheWorld need to put together a blog highlighting all the countries you guys have been to.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Enjoy Barcelona man! Was just here for about a week in March. Beautiful city and tons to do! What part are you staying in?

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I'm in Finland for the first two weeks of July, it's supposed to be incredibly beautiful, daylight forever, and airbnb prices are really good. We're getting a cottage in the woods for 6 people in the forest with a private beach for $100 a night. That's a 45 minute drive to Helsinki.

In Helsinki there are some great places up for airbnb as well because lots of Fins travel in the summer (I don't understand why, but this is what my Finnish friends tell me).

Everyone's swimming in the lakes, nightlife is pretty good too. Really really good scene if you're single.

Really depends what you're into though.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Oh I was in Prague about ten days ago too and I didn't get to go out much, but the 2 days I did go out it was beautiful. The city is nothing special if you've been to Austria or East Germany, pretty similar but once you head out of town it's super cheap and beautiful.

We went to this music festival:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4olKNoyslU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm not into EDM/House but it was a seriously incredible party. Biggest indoor rave in the world apparently. If you can find a similar event like that to go to, you get to meet tons of people and just have a crazy good time. Prior warning: don't go if you don't enjoy drugs at all + don't plan to be conscious at the end.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

I went to Malta for 4 days and loved that.

Southern Spain is nice as is Munich.

8. s land balla

What is Malta like?

9. IBTL

IBTL Member

running of the bulls is july 7-14. I recommend the chupinazo at beginning. absolutely apesh**it party

[​IMG]

I lived in san sebastian so I am biased but is VERY nice

[​IMG]

valencia is a sleepier version of barcelona, sevilla and gibraltar are far and too hot that time of year (same can be said of madrid& barcelona) montpelier is actually cute and avignon even more so but your bang for buck is pamplona and san sebastian.

ibiza is overrated
    my 2 cents

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's basically a huge rock in the sea. Great for diving. Quite British (they drive on the left and have the steering wheels on the right, too). A mix of British, Sicilian and Arabic. Don't expect many sandy beaches. But there is one famous one in Comino, and one in Mellieha on the main island.

I can recommend Malta if you want to feel a bit like you traveled back to the 50s or 60s. Have been many, many times.

11. s land balla

Would it be worth cutting our 5 nights in Barcelona short to head over to Pamplona for this? I'm intrigued.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

San Fermin is an experience. It will be very hard to get lodging at this point, but maybe possible.

It seems like most people sleep outside in the parks (which is what I did). There wasn't too much sleep to be had though. It is non-stop.

People from all over Europe and really the rest of the world will be there. Keep your hands on your passport, camera, wallet, etc.

You can talk to all kinds of folks from everywhere. There are marching bands parading around every ten minutes. There will be drunk people peeing in the streets. There is great food, and drink all over, but it is crowded.

If you run with the bulls figure out which area at which to start. If you start at the beginning the bulls will probably pass you before the arena. If you run at the end, you'll make inside the arena. If you go at the beginning and get passed, try and keep going to make it inside the arena if you can. It's insane in there.

It's a blast, but make sure crowds, sleeping outside and very little sleep overall is your thing before going.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member

Barcelona is fine but besides las ramblas, old part, and the sagrada familia most else is filler. Sure its deeper than that as is NYC or any city but you could see what you need to in 1-2 nights. so with that my 2 cents is 2 nights barcelona, 48 hours san fermin pamplona, then 1 night san sebastian, I would even say 1 night Barcelona and 2 nights san sebastian if you are into beach more vs. city.

depends on you as to how long since Barcelona ha all that a european big city has.

as for pamplona I have been to san fermines 6-7 times and it is really something everyone should see. the running is a big part of it but its simply so much more than tbat. I have done tbe park sleep thing too which is fine.. you want to have your timing line up for the daily 8am running so thats why I say 48 hours.

you are balla and there are still hotels available. I stayed a plaza pamplona during san.fermines and it was near enough yet far enough that there wasnt partying while trying to sleep.

the crown jewel would probably be the tres reyes hotel. still open too in those dates.

if you are budget you can easily find an outskirts place for cheap and it wouldn't be too far..its true pamplona books but a short trip even 20 minutes opens it up wide.

you could even trip it by taxi, bus or train in and out of san sebastian and just stay up for x hours partying then go back to san sebastian. even in a taxi san sebastian isnt all that exorbitant and convenient enough.

san fermines vs. 5 days in barcelona or malta or whatever.. plz.. even most bad ass party in ibiza isnt close.

GET YOUR ASS TO PAMPLONA IM TELLING YOU. AMAZING
    try to see about the chupinazplo if you can at beginning and google 'sam fernin fountain jump' happens first date. whole deal in general is nuts.

14. IBTL

IBTL Member

this gives you a sense of how apesh**it this party is
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V7VQU_sD22U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. s land balla

I like the idea of staying in San Sebastien and commuting into Pamplona rather than staying there (mostly because there are hotels in San Sebastian that I can redeem points for ;)).

How much better is the beach in San Sebastian as compared to Barcelona?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you really care about seeing beautiful beaches close to Barcelona, I would not recommend San Sebastian, but Menorca. There are very quick and inexpensive flights from Barcelona (and even a ferry). The beaches are beautiful, there are some where the water is so clear that it rivals the Caribbean, in my opinion. The most beautiful ones are off the beaten track. Menorca also has this: http://www.covadenxoroi.com/index.php?lng=uk

I would stay in Barcelona, with a quick side trip to Menorca for the beach. Unless you mainly want to party, then Ibiza. If you haven't been to Mallorca, definitely also worth a trip (and there are hotels there where you can redeem your points, not in Menorca - but I would still recommend Menorca, although/because it's a lot more quiet).

17. s land balla

Good to know. Menorca looks beautiful. I've heard good things about Mallorca too, and there is a Park Hyatt opening there later this month...decisions, decisions.

ATW - I'll be in Milan after Spain and will have an additional 3-4 days of free time around July 13-17. Anything you recommend in particular? Was thinking either Switzerland or maybe somewhere on the Italian coast. Maybe even Croatia. Haven't booked my onwards flight to Jeddah on the 17th yet, so my travel plans after Milan are very flexible.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, they have points and cash at that hotel available right now, too. It's not directly at the beach, and currently, there is still some construction going on. But Park Hyatts usually never disappoint, so...

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The tour de france happens around that time.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member

menorca is fine and if measuring dicks and mediterranean islands I would go with Sardinia. but thats just me.

the menorca, sardinia move is going to be pristine and clear. san sebastian is more like CA pacific coast (you like pacific coast right)as costa brava, sol,azure etc is more like caribbean. clearer.

I was very disappointed with ibiza. you get more traction and glow sticks in places like zakynthos or even ios for that matter. ibiza is a major yawn. decent cocaine I suppose if thats your thing.

as for san sebastian it is like rio with town ON ocean whereas barcelona even is by ocean but not like san sebastian.

look at google images of san sebastian and call me back. san fermin is ridiculous. you cant really go wrong with any of your choices but to me its a no brainer and not even close. but thats just me, ive been to dance clubs all over and to that end ibiza was poser central. pass.

zermatt, interlaken,cinque terre, bellagio lake como,portofino