1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Eurobasket-2011] Donuts was cut from Lithuanian national team roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Aug 7, 2011.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Star potential? Rofl

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

They probably cut him for that "Donuts" nickname :rolleyes:. Man, I sure hope that doesn't stick. Another clutchfans failled nickname.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

In Lithuania, Donuts is a sacred name.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

90% sure he will be a bust.

6. Pringles

Pringles Member

He was the hype of the Minny trade? I like that trade cause we got rid of Brad Miller.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Did you miss the part where Jonas was a high lotto pick and "Donuts" went 20, in a historically weak draft, in a deal that also dumped salary and netted a potential re player??

This news means nothing with regards to his NBA career. OHMM or whatever his name is will still tell you V-Span actually is the European McGrady, and he sucked here.

I think both will struggle with the size and speed of the NBA. Donuts outside shot gives him a unique skillet that might help him stick.... Might not.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Too bad. I hope he doesn't get discouraged and just continues to work hard.

All the talk doesn't mean anything if he's not willing to do the work to back it up.

9. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Donatas is the third on the list of the most overrated players on this board just behind Kyle Lowry and Marcus Morris. But Lowry showed how good he can be if he's hot and if he can do it with consistency throughout the next 3-4 years of his career. Morris and Moteijunas both will not show anything in their careers as same as Parsons

10. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

right now Donatas is just a worse shooting version of Steve Novak, maybe Olexiy Pecherov type of player. But with terrible attitude and really bad work-ethic

Europe is waiting...

11. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

... and if you can't remember.... Moteijunas was projected as a top-5 pick on draft-express in 2010 and 2011 mock-drafts before nba scouts started to work on this guy. When they realized how bad his habits are and how limited his game really is he felt down to the late-first round pick on a terrible draft

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

What are the winning numbers for the next lotto?

1 person likes this.
  13. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

22, 23, 24, 34, 45 / answer

1 person likes this.
  14. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets front office made it pretty clear that Donatas is a project. Which means whether he succeeds or fails depends largely on how he improves from now on, rather than his current ability.

Yes, the guy can fail. At pick 20, odds are he probably will never be more than a rotation player. But the fact that he's not on the national team doesn't mean he's a bust waiting to happen. At least, no more than he was when he was drafted.

15. zxcvbn193

zxcvbn193 Member

Allright, the headcoach of Lithuania said, that it was very hard decision, to take out Motiejunas, but someone had to go from Big guys pf/C
    Big guys in LTU national team left right now.
    1) Valanciunas C
    2)Javtokas ( very good defender and shot stopper, Team captain)
    3) Ksistof Lavrinovic PF ( Had an amazing season, just signed a contract with CSKA. 31 years of old, very experienced.
    4)Darjus Lavrinovic C. Even if he is twins with Ksistof, this guy plays C in Montepaschi team, were he was one of the leaders and helped to get to the FInal four of Euroleague and win bronze, same age, 31 and very experienced.
    5) Darius Songaila, PF has enormous experience, played in NBA very long time, even tho 76-ers didn't gave him the chance, he still has it, he is athletic PF.
    6) Paulius Jankunas PF, one of the fav's in Lithuania, captain of Zalgiris ( best team in Lithuania). No need to say more, he can shoot from 3pt, he can hit mid and has more exp than Donatas and he is not old.
    7) Marijonas Petravicius, C , now he was a bust for two seasons, now he doesn't have the a club, but he is beast when he is healthy and nowadays he is healthy, he had great match yesterday against Chez Republic. Experienced as well.

Just to make sure, Donatas was 3rd in scoring in last nights game, but Kemzura had to cut someone and he said the last two who will be cut is again big guys. So the coach has chosen experience, but he also added about Donatas, that he and Jonas will be the future of Lithuania very soon, because Donatas comparing to last year improved a lot and he still wants to see him improving like that

now since people are saying that Donatas is very cocky, I would disagree, because he said, If I get cut at least I will help others to prepare very good for the championship.

How do I know that, I'm Lithuanian and read all the news. I might like Valanciunas and Kleiza more, but I can say that Donatas will be a good player if not for NBA then for Lithuania NT for sure. CHeers.

9 people like this.
  16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

hey, can you post more in your own thread? i can't figure out if you like DM or not.

17. Garner

Garner Member

More depressing news in a depressing off-season.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Some people on this board surely overrate Motiejunas as a prospect, but the fact remains that he was a good gamble at #20.
    Are there question marks? Sure. Otherwise he wouldn't have fallen to #20, but there's also lots to like about his game/upside. He's very talented.

His chances to make the team were slim from the start, so nobody should be surprised that he didn't make it. He's 20 years old. Lithuania is a good & deep team. They finished third in the FIBA WC last year, beating Serbia, Spain & Argentina. EuroBasket isn't the place to develop young players. Compare it to the NBA playoffs if you will. Rookies don't get to play much. A small mistake here and there and you're out of the tournament.

Here are some thoughts from the Lithuanian head coach on Motiejunas via Google Translation:
    Motiejunas may or may not pan out, but him not making the final cut of his national team doesn't tell us much, if anything.

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is actually good news. if the scrub really has any talent maybe it'll surface now if he feels dissed and works harder

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very informative. Thanks! If that's an accurate description of the situation regarding Donatas and the national team, we're seeing an overreaction to the news. I'm shocked. That never happens here! ;-)-