1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPNs worst contracts in nba history

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigVic785, Feb 12, 2009.

Tags:
  1. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

2. lastmanstanding

"Meantime, there's no truth to the rumor K-Mart has a brother named Walter who answers to the nickname Wal-Mart."

That made me smile.

3. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Wow, good find. I forgot all about Bryant "Big Country" Reeves. Remember when he shattered the backboard during practice in the Final Four? Lol. Too bad about his back issue, I liked him.

4. foodworld

foodworld Member

Vin Baker has to be the worst, considering that his contract caused the dissolution of the Sonics.

5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ben Wallace takes the cake in my book. I remember thinking the salary figures were a joke when Chicago first signed him. No seriously, I thought somebody hacked the system and was messing with everybody. Apparently not.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

Where is Brian Cardinal? Didn't he have a crazy contract?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think they underrate Jon Koncak's deal. 13 million was a lot of money in 1989 for a scrub.

8. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

McIlvaine's contract was a lot worse than Baker's as it started Kemp's downward spiral. Baker was at least a proven commodity, McIlvaine was a straight up scrub.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jim McIlvaine
    Jon Koncak
    Bryant Reeves
    Jerome James
    Raef LaFrentz not far behind

Everyone knew these guys were diddly poo. At least with Francis and the others there was some name recognition, high draft status and potential there.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I disagree with Francis and LJ being mentioned.

Francis was a logical move. at the time he looked like a franchise player.
    LJ sacraficed his stats for New York, He was one of the main reasons they made it to the finals.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, at least a lot of these contracts were signed on previous performance.

that's why the jim mcilvaine and juwan howard contracts are especially bad, juwan's should be number 1 all time undisputed. $100MM for Juwan Howard in 1996.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The funny thing about JH's contract is that Riles (you know, the guy who's coached 5 championships) tried to lure him to the Heat with that number and the Wizards matched it to keep him. Riles was ballistic but it ended up saving him from a big mistake.

I don't think this contract is the worst ever. Kelvin Cato's and many other deals were dumber.

13. blender

blender Member

Larry Johnson did his best, but his back gave out on him in NY.

I always hated Allen Houston's contract myself, which is also on that list. If I remember, it was a case of NY bidding against itself.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hindsight is easy, especially when the only reason the contract ended up being bad is because of injury. The ones that get me are the ones everyone knew were bad contracts the day they were signed.

15. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Like Jim McIlvaine, that one has always confused me but made me smile since it was the sonics who signed him.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Link does not work for me.

17. plee

plee Member

I would add Matt Maloney's contract as an honorable mention.