1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's Jonathan Givony would cut KPJ, says Rockets locker room/culture is bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2023.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

While i do agree that kpj isn't good for the org especially with the recent clip of him pouting from not getting the ball. some folks @King, and others verbiage and attitude towards kpj goes beyond basketball.

Shthead, etc etc. Really reminds me of how folks kept calling Harden a bum. Idk if I'm guilty of doing that with our players but I do hope kpj somehow turns it around. I'm quite interest to see the dynamics if harden comes back

topfive, groovemachine and FLAGRANT1 like this.
  2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I stand by what I say. His behavior on and off the court illustrates it. I obviously don't know him so all I can do is judge him by his actions. I think Ja Morant is a shithead too. It's not personal

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also the age of the players with the most starts on the team the year the Rockets won 45 games during Francis sophomore year. I'm going by their age at the start of the season.

Shannon Anderson 27
    Steve Francis 23
    Mo Taylor 24
    Hakeem the Dream 38
    Cuttino Mobley 25
    Walt Williams 30
    Kenny Thomas 23
    Kelvin Cato 26
    Moochie Norris 27

Current Rockets

Jabari 19
    Green 20
    Sengun 20
    Eg 34
    KPJ 22
    KMJ 22
    Tate 27
    Tari 21
    Nix 20
    Josh 21
    TyTy 20
    Usman 20

EG is no longer with the team and Tate missed half the season. Outside of those two that's literally the typical age range of a NCAA D1 team.

#483 fchowd0311, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  4. Ernie The Giant Chicken

I don't care if one of our players is the modern day Gandhi.If they are a disruption on and off the court and are not good enough,get rid.

That simple for me.

King1 and Yung-T like this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need to correct this breeding ground of that type of entitleism coddling culture. I thought that left with Morey but it's still here with Stone.

Yung-T and DaDakota like this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is nothing new. Franchises cater to who they perceived as the star on the team. Only reason why this seem silly is bc our front office deem kpj to b one they should cater 2 solely on his potential and not his actual talent

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I agree, some folks are way over the line on Judging guys’ character and name calling. We don’t know these guys personally and KPJ might be a great guy despite some problematic on court body language.

There’s a reason his contract is only partially guaranteed, so people need to relax and let the franchise sort things out this offseason.

DatRocketFan likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

There will be no sorting out if Silas is not fired. He is the ultimate KPJstan.

groovemachine and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

“OMG there is nothing to discuss here…”

Sir you have some type of complex when it comes to Green. It’s fascinating what humans can do with their brains that culminates into nonsense.

Francis was 23 that season and playing with a bunch of guys essentially in and around their primes. Look at the ages posted in comparison of the two teams.

To ignore that and conclude that there is zero doubt. Perhaps one day when this team starts trying to win and these guys are put in a better position for success people can chill out on their weird biases and just enjoy them improving.

fchowd0311 and pippendagimp like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

francis also had rudy T, a giant upgrade over silas

Nook, TheJet, King1 and 2 others like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I just can't with this kid....

Crashlanded19 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, I am aware of the age thing. But it was Steve’s team. He led all regulars in points, rebounds (!), assists, steals, WS, WS/48, net rating, BPM, everything. And he was still getting hate for "not playing like a true PG"

You’re deflecting the conversation. I actually agreed with you that white punditry is harsh on flashy athletic (black) guards. I just don’t think Green is a good example. He hasn’t shown production worthy of a #2 pick and hasn’t been slaughtered by the media (yet). The age thing may be the explanation or the excuse, sure, I am just saying he’s not the right example for your thesis. Francis was a lot more pertinent example.

If you want a more recent example, I’ll give you De’aron Fox. Up to this day grossly under-appreciated by the punditry. The way they fellate Sabonis now and under-appreciate Fox is shameful. They are both key for Sac.

Maybe some day in the future Green/Sengun will be our Fox/Sabonis. If something similar develops with Green/Sengun in the future you’ll have a good point. Right now media coverage is appropriate. Sengun is the better player and he’s getting a little bit more love. Nothing tendentious going on here.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Alpi was open for a zesty floater

14. King1

Exactly. After this draft we are screwed because of tge Russ trade. Get rid of the garbsge (KPJ) and let's at least attempt to build a real team.

I can't stand Silas as a coach but at least he's a good person. Why he attached himself to garbage like KPJ is beyond me

15. King1

Lol. Are you serious? KPJ is a piece of **** off the court too

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

This clip is exactly why we are so disappointed at his growth. Bad reads, hesitation, over dribbling that leads to wasted shot clock

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol having the 5th most 30 pt games in NBA history before turning 21, being 8th all time in ppg before turning 21, and he isn't producing like a number 2 pick?? Especially when he's doing this on hard mode on the worst spaced offense in basketball with one of the youngest rotations ever assembled while being the center of defensive attention at the perimeter.

Yes he's producing like a humber 2 pick and obviously age is the reason. It's blatantly obvious. This team's average starting line up is younger than the starting line up of the Cougars.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Is the bit about the Coogs correct? If so, that is absolutely incredible.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

I've met him in person and had a brief exchange with him, and I can honestly say he's a very nice, engaging guy. Definitely not an a-hole, and I can see why his teammates like him. I saw nothing whatsoever that would lead me to think he had personality issues.

That said, this most recent pouting video is nothing new; he does this kind of thing on-court often, where he takes himself out of the play because he's upset about something. Usually it's not his own teammates, but a missed call or something. He'll lag forget all about playing transition D because he's momentarily irritated. I was hoping he'd grow out of it, but this is his 4th year as a pro and he's still putting his own petty feelings above those of his teammates.

Regardless of what he thinks, he is absolutely not a leader. Can anyone think of a championship-level team who had a guy who acts like this? Even just in the main rotation?

groovemachine likes this.
  20. MystikArkitect

What coddling culture did Morey bring...?