1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's 12 Greatest Sports Spots

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Lil Pun, May 5, 2005.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

ESPN's Great Spots in Sports

Not in any order:

Twin Spires, Churchill Downs (Age: 110)

The visual signature for an entire sport. "What the Eiffel Tower does for Paris, the Twin Spires do for Churchill, for Louisville, for Kentucky, for horse racing the world over," Blackie Sherrod wrote in '95.

Green Monster, Fenway Park (Age: 93)

The 37-foot wall is the defining quirk to what John Updike called a “lyric little bandbox of a ballpark.” It offers “a compromise between Man's Euclidian determinations and Nature's beguiling irregularities.”

Outfield Ivy, Wrigley Field (Age: 68)

Bill Veeck left footprints all over baseball’s history, but none as enduring as the ivy he planted against the brick outfield wall in 1937. Let others have padded walls; the Cubs will keep their trademark vines.

Touchdown Jesus, Notre Dame (Age: 42)

Faith and football run together here. The 132-foot-high mural of Jesus, figuratively signaling six points for the Irish, faces the stadium and is as metaphor for the Catholic school’s gridiron passion.

Parquet Floor, The Fleet Center (Age 59)

An NBA trademark for decades. The old parquet in Boston Garden came with its own mythology, with visiting teams grousing about dead spots causing bad bounces and creating turnovers.

Amen Corner, Augusta National GC (Age: 73)

The 11th, 12th and 13th holes -- one look at the pink azaleas, the white sand of the bunkers, treacherous Rae’s Creek, the towering pines and the impeccable green grass, and you know: winter's over.

Hole In The Roof, Texas Stadium (Age 33)

No other NFL stadium has such a distinctive calling card. It has produced more than three decades of odd shadows for television audiences while the Dallas Cowboys have churned to five Super Bowl titles.

Red Clay, Roland Garros Stadium (Age: 77)

The ruination of a million white socks. And watching players skid into shots during long baseline rallies at the French Open is a welcome diversion to the ADD, serve-and-volley tennis played elsewhere.

17th hole, TPC at Sawgrass (Age: 25)

The island green plays memorably upon the worst fears of all 25-handicap hacks: there’s no bailout place for a bad shot. If it’s off, it’s wet. No other hole provides such a visually intimidating swing thought.

Blue Turf, Bronco Stadium (Age: 19)

When you see it on TV, there’s no mistaking who the home team is. Boise State might not have the tradition of college football’s heavy hitters, but has the most unique playing surface.

McCovey Cove, SBC Park (Age: Old as sea)

The place where Barry Bonds’ home runs splash down behind right field. When you see kayakers paddling furiously after an object in the water, you can be sure who the home team is (this ain’t Comerica Park.)

Monument Park, Yankee Stadium (Age: 73)

The history of the most glorified pro franchise has been housed behind the wall since 1976 – prior to that it was in the field of play. Such a special shrine that star-struck visitors include opposing teams.

The B-List

Champ Elyses (Tour de France)
    Warehouse (Camden Yards)
    Student section (Duke)
    Pot Bunker (St. Andrews)
    Centre Court (Wimbledon)
    18th hole (Pebble Beach GL)
    Columns (L.A. Coliseum)
    Place Pole (Indy)
    Checkerboard end zone (Tennessee)

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Where is ESTADIO AZTECA or MARACANá STADIUM, f*ck*rs??? Try talking to your neighbor next to you while an ovation is going on during a soccer game, and... I can't HEAR YOUUUUUUU THIS SH*T IS TOO LOUD, MAN!!!!!!!!!

I PISS ON ehsp-n's list. :mad:

3. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

toyota center??

i shun this joke of a list.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Only if you're the Dallas Mavericks

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

On the main list, I've been to #2, #3, #7, #9, and #12.

On the B list, I've been to #2 and #7.

How about y'all?

#5 RocketMan Tex, May 5, 2005
    Last edited: May 5, 2005
  6. Fatty FatBastard

Reading your posts is like watching an episode of Carascolindas on a television with eratic volume control.

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Well if it hadn't been ripped out by shortsightedness, I would have put the old Astrodome scoredboard on the list.

I called it as a teenager, that removing the Astrodome scoreboard would kill the Dome as a baseball park and only temporarily satisfy Bud Adams. The Astros would still be playing in a remodeled Astrodome if the original scoreboard was still there. It ceased to be a special place for baseball when the scoreboard was taken out.

Curse the Oilers and Bud Adams!

8. SwoLy-D

OH MY FREAKIN' GAWD. YOU REMEMBER THAT SHOW??? :D SWEEEEEEEEET...

I look like one of the main 2 dudes. :p

9. Fatty FatBastard

I only remember the short, bald one that married the thick lady with the fruit cart. :(

10. SwoLy-D

Then, no, I don't look like HIM. :D

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You do understand the point of this right? It's not about how cool a place is or how nice the ameneties are. The list is about particular aspects and features of these places that are very popular/well known. Someday, if enough people get hurt on it, maybe Tal's Hill will make the list, but as of now, our stadiums are all too new.

12. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Well I gotta put my vote in for the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG). Only been there once (this year actually) and the atmosphere is absolutely amazing! I 've been to quite afew sporting events, but nothing measures up to the feeling you get inside this massive stadium!

13. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

Yeah, because tennis is just awash with serve/volleyers, isn't it. :rolleyes:

14. rudager

rudager Member

He was joking.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

right over yer head....

16. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Man, Carascolindas!?

I didn't think ANYbody remembered that show. That and "Villa Alegre".

17. Fatty FatBastard

Villa Alegre
    Vegetable Soup
    Big Blue Marble
    3-2-1 Contact

I watched a lot of crappy shows as a child.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Anyone remember "Hot Chocolate"???

It had those kid puppets with weird faces that had real human hands!