1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPNNEWS] Cameron to stros or M's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Feb 21, 2005.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Of course they affect your fielding. Bagwell's shoulder affects his fielding too. Of course, we might not find out until sometime in May whether Cameron's going to be able to return to his former ability, since he's guaranteed to miss the start of the season recovering from wrist surgery.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

thats my only issue with getting Cameron...we already have a starting OF missing the 1st month or so...not sure if its worth the gamble to put ourselves in the position of hoping they BOTH some back to form..

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Guaranteed might be too strong a word:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/275821p-236243c.html

GETTING WELL SOON: Mike Cameron is on track to be ready for the season opener in Cincinnati on April 4, much sooner than previous estimates that he could be sidelined into May. Agent Mike Nicotera said the arthroscopic wrist surgery Cameron had in December required only minimal repair of frayed cartilage and the wrist showed no signs of a feared tear. The outfielder already has been cleared for all activities except swinging a bat at full speed. He'll likely begin doing that the first week of March, leaving four full weeks of batting practice before Opening Day.

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Oh... see I thinking that it was that he had nearly three times as many strikeouts as walks. Or that he hit only .231. Or that his contract significantly outweighs his production.

...and eric81, it would be a huge suprise if Cameron could hit .275 considering he is a career .248 hitter and has never hit higher than .267 in any given year. Don't be disappointed if, and when, he doesn't sniff .275.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Wow, quick recovery. I thought best-case scenarios had him missing 2 weeks, worst case 6.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

the one thing that i guess is in his favor is that we do have the Crawford Boxes to boost up his power numbers.

He hasn't been stealing bases anymore and i wish he really would...that would help us a lot on the bases.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm 50/50 on this deal, meaning I don't really care either way if it goes thru, considering there are +'s and -'s for both sides.

Considering that I never like projected offensive numbers, because offense in baseball is just so damn random... lets throw that out for now.

A great defensive CF IS a bigger need than a great defensive 2B... but when you consider that Cameron is older, and probably won't be around as much as Burke is (and considering Burke is getting paid nothing), its tough to go either way on that.

Also, Cameron is a proven MLB commodity, whereas Burke isn't... but there's always the "you never know" factor when it comes to Burke, and he has succeeded at every level of baseball he's played at (and I still remember him being a MONSTER at Tennesee).

Burke can steal bases and possibly hit leadoff... Cameron still has some pop in his bat that Burke has not yet shown. (I know I said not to consider offense... but I couldn't help myself).

Thus, round and round and round we go...

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Arounf the Horn -- of a dilemma. Or two.

Burke may be 'all that', I don't know.

However I, 'stros doubtlessly promised Rocket a determined effort at the post season, and Burke may need a year of Major League seasoning before becoming 'all that'.

However II, 'stros may know that an armless/rangeless aged Bigg in LF is too detrimental to make a significant push for October.

Thus, the Astros' hand may be pushed.

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mike Cameron To Stro's a possibility?

Heard the intro on the local news but not the details, I think they said for Burke. He's hurt, makes 12 million, hits like 240 lifetime and is b****ing about giving up CF to Beltan.

Would this be a good deal?

10. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Are you kidding me? You answered your own question, dude. A player making 12 mil on the wrong side of 30, and he's hurt! .240, ummm no. Hell no. Least Burke is a good prospect.

11. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Minaya iof the Mets is Denying the Rumors big time.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/n...&content_id=947286&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp

General manager Omar Minaya, however, came out strongly and definitively in stating that he had no intention of moving Cameron -- not now, and probably not any time soon. Though Minaya still fields phone calls from other general managers, some of which naturally will inquire about the Mets' new right fielder, the idea that Cameron will be playing anywhere but in Queens this season should now be put to rest.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Defensive fielders do not sell tickets, certainly not 12 million dollars worth.

I guess you could argue that a top defensive center fielder could make the 15 or 20 plays a year an average player won't make and that could be the difference in making the playoffs or not.

Is Cameron a pull hitter so that his 30 dingers might be an easy number in our park?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Be careful with absolutes:

[​IMG]

I hear ya, though...Cameron isn't a ticket-seller.

14. msn

msn Member

Thank you for posting that picture. I loved and hated those Cardinals teams all at the same time.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i hated them. absolutely hated them. i have ALWAYS hated the freaking cahdnals. but i love the way they played the game with speed and defense.

16. msn

msn Member

Yeah, I loved their game and hated them at the same time. It's different than with the Freaking Braves and the Cubs--I just hate them outright, the way we all hate the Jazz.

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I don't like the trade. but, i htink we wait till cameron shows he's healthy in spring training before we decide. that will also let us get a peek at burke. but no. i don't like the deal.

18. Howyalikemenow

I'm not a fan of the trade at all, and I'm hoping that it falls through!

I'd rather build for the future with the young guys than try to patch someone in at center and gamble. Burke hasn't been giving the opportunity, and from what I've heard, I like his potential.

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Seems like a bad trade to me as well. I would like to see what Burke can do.

20. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

They have Matsui and Reyes up the middle....I think Burke would be pretty safe in this deal