1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPNNEWS] Cameron to stros or M's

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Feb 21, 2005.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I don't really think its a good deal giving up Burke for Cameron.\

However, if there is anything I learned last year, it's that we absolutely have to have someone in Center Field that can cover some ground.

If its Redding for Cameron, then good deal. Otherwise I'm not sure its the best move.

2. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I don't like giving up a prospect, but I have no dillusion about Burke being a stud. From all I've read and heard, he's a Mark Loretta type at best.

3. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

prediction: Redding becomes a decent setup man for this team. He could actually be pretty damn good in the role if he finds a strikeout pitch.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

A Mark Loretta type is something that I would want to keep around (he hit .335 last year, was probably the largest all-star snub, and also hit .314 in 2003).

IMO, giving up Burke for Cameron is not a good idea. What happens after Biggio is gone? Eric Bruntlett?

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Mark Loretta is a career .300 hitter and an all-star. If only Burke could be that good!

6. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

call me crazy, but i'd rather a premium defensive center fielder than a guy who may turn into a slightly above average 2nd basemen.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Cameron had a good season last year.

30hrs, in 140 games. He strikes out WAY to often though. 142K's in 140 games. So, his OBP pretty much sucks.

The guys on 610 were calling him Beltran Like...or "lite" I couldn't tell.

They said we should do this.

Oh, yeah. I can finally get 610am again! I just realized that! They sounded clearer than ever today too!

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Me too! Go back in time and kidnap the 2000-2002 version of Mike Cameron, and we'll have that guy! The 2005 version is nowhere near being a "premium defensive center fielder".

9. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Ahhhh...............

My love/hate relationship with the backlash of failing to sign Beltran continues on.

10. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

sure he isn't as good as he was, but I think he's still a top 5 CF along with Beltran, Edmunds, Hunter, etc.

Not to bag on Burke, but I really don't think he's the great hope a lot of Astros fan are pretending he is, and I think this trade proves the Astros feel the same way.

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros organization does not think highly of Chris Burke, period. The fact that they are having a competition between Biggio and Burke at 2B when they could just start the year by playing both players should be a major warning sign. I haven't seen the kid play, so I won't say whether I agree or disagree, but it's an ominous sign to say the least.

And as far as this idea that Eric Byrnes is a better fit for the Astros than Mike Cameron, it's just foolish. Until Eric Byrnes morphs into a top 3-5 defensive centerfielder in the game, he does not address the Astros biggest outfield need, which is a gold glove caliber CF. Furthermore, it's debatable whether Byrnes is better than Cameron anyways. He doesn't significantly outperform him offensively, and he sure isn't the caliber of defender than Cameron is. And both players steal bases at good clips so that is a wash. But even if you think Byrnes is a slightly better player with Lane and Berkman already in this organization, his impact on the team is not as great as that of a tremendous defensive CF in Cameron. Cameron is up there with Jones and Hunter as far as defensive CF's go; Byrnes is a solid defensive corner outfielder. And Eric Byrnes does not do enough offensively to outweigh the defensive advantage Cameron brings to the table.

Therefore, since it appears the Astros do not believe in Chris Burke, they might as well get one of the best defensive CF's in the game for him as that fits right in with the strength of the team: the starting pitching.

12. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I don't think Byrnes is a good fit! I just like him.

He's a scrappy dude, and falls right in line with other athletes I have soft sport for like Bradly Van Pelt (former Colorado State QB) and Matt Jones (Arkansas QB).

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Who will take the field first, Lance or Cameron? Neither may appear before May.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I understand that, and I think that many other people share that sentiment. However, from a baseball standpoint, Mike Cameron is a better fit for the Astros than Eric Byrnes. And that is all I was trying to point out.

15. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

You noticed too. That makes two of us.

16. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

This is a horrible trade for the Astros if we are giving up Burke for Cameron. We're trading a young guy with great speed who's hit over .300 with around 20 homers in the minors for a 32 year old career .248 hitter. HORRIBLE!

17. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

:)

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Here's the ESPN / Stats, Inc. blurb on Cameron's fielding:
    Doesn't sound like top-5 CF quality to me. Sounds like a broken down player who's lost a step.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How does a sprained left wrist, groin problem and a viral infection not affect one's fielding?

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I personally don't think we need Cameron to come in and hit .350 or 40 home runs. We really need him to play top notch defense and I'd be happy with a .275 25 home run year. I like him hitting 5th or 2nd and I like the idea of Lance, Lane, and Cameron in the outfield. I like Biggio at second way better. My only beef is Mike Lamb. I agree that he's a good bat that we need to find a place for. Plus he's a lefty.

This Astros team is not going to be the offensive beast that it has been for the last ten years or so, I think that's obvious. BUT, If our pitching staff comes together and we can field a decent offensive club and learn how to play small ball, this team could be good.

A top four of Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt, and Backe looks really good to me. What if Pettite and Oswalt really buckle down, have great seasons, and win 20 each? We'd be a tough team for sure, despite our lack of offensive punch.

We do absolutely need our pitchers to be lights out and Lane and Berkman especially need to have great seasons. If Biggio and Bags can duplicate or come close to duplicating their numbers from last year and Lane, Lance, and Morgan step up.... who knows?