1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(ESPN975) Rumor: Kyrie Irving to Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 1, 2022.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I am not entirely against this, assuming what I know about next years pick is correct - we have the rights to SWAP picks with Brooklyn. Is that correct? Or do we own rights to both? If we only have rights to swap, then hear me out. Ignore this blabber if my assumption is incorrect.

KD has made it publicly known that his loyalty isn't to Brooklyn or to the franchise, but to Kyrie Irving - and if he leaves... so does KD. If we can entice (or trade for) Kyrie to bring him out here that immediately crumples the Nets, and gives us the rights to swap a pick in the mid teens to early 20s for one in the lottery. Jalen Green and Kyrie Irving are seemingly friends, or workout partners at the very least. This gives us very much needed playmaking at the point guard position and hopefully moves us more in the direction of building a culture that enjoys the feeling of winning.

Draft Banchero at #3, trade up for Mark Williams. Dump Wall/Wood and maybe a teaser for a disgruntled Kyrie and an overpaid Joe Harris and watch them crumple while we own all of their picks.

Kyrie/Nix
    Green/KPJ
    Harris/or Eason
    Banchero
    Williams/Sengun

Turner/Ayton/Gobert/Bamba can all be had too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Drama boy.

KPJ and Irving the new flat earth brothers.

KPJ throwing things off the end of the earth.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Will we still have max cap space in 2023 if we do trade for kyrie?

5. VoR

VoR Member

Kyrie for KPJ and Wood? Making Harden to Bklyn just an end around for Harden for Kyrie?

I am listening.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Only 1 can stay. I'd be blowing the phones up with trade ideas on Wood and KPJ until I could get someone to bite.

I do think our team is getting hurt by KPJ running point. He has talent no doubt, but obviously he's got some serious maturity and entitlement issues. A person like that running point (and learning point) is going to hurt this team's growth. Kyrie has his own issues, but he's a true point and a vet. The bar might be low but I think he'd do a slightly better job of running the team. It's only for 1 year and if it doesn't work out, you have cash for a FA replacement.

Tank time is over and if you can improve for 0 cost then I'd take it.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Kyrie would single handedly stunt the development of the entire guard position for this team if not more. Stone is smarter than this, but there is no such thing as bad publicity and having the Rockets with their worst record in the league still have their moments of relevance is refreshing. We'll be back better than ever in a few years.

ACL1, don grahamleone and bumbum09 like this.
  8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Sometimes people think it's smoke but, in reality, it's just a very very dusty room that nobody wanted to be in.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on how you want to use Kyrie. Personally I would entertain it for the Wall treatment. Just sit him out until someone else offers us draft picks.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont know. Wall wasnt very good so it made sense not to thrust him out there for personal glory and give way to player development. I think Kyrie is a great player. If he wasnt so batshit crazy I could be convinced to see a future with him if he genuinely wanted to be here, but again - he's coo coo for cocoa puffs and trading for him only to sit him doesnt make a ton of sense to me.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

No way you can play him to poison our core. He made the Celtics soo much worse. He's a chucker, ball stopper and very one dimensional. Overrated.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kyrie is owed 36.5 million next season if he opts in, so if you could trade Wall for him straight up it would allow you to buy him out straight up at a significant savings over Wall. And if Kyrie is willing to negotiate the buyout, all the better. It would also help implode the Nets. So I'd be for it for that reason. I have absolutely zero interest in seeing Kyrie in a Rockets jersey though. None. I wouldn't want him to play a single minute for us.

14. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Stone playing 4D chess....Find ways to make the Nets worse so those picks get juicy!

Patience likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

You won't even have to convince him. He'll miss games all on his own volition.

Little Bit and Aruba77 like this.
  17. j@amc

j@amc Member

Are the Nets deferring their #23 pick to Philadelphia? June 1 is their official deadline.

Also, Kyrie and Wall's player option deadline is AFTER the draft (June 29). Do I have that right?

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Of course the Nets would never do this. Kyrie is still top 5-10 player in the NBA. He is a head case so theres that

19. xaos

xaos Member

Ditto

20. Houstonfan2022

He probably will help us make playoff next year.