1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Yao's retirement could impact NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by northeastfan, Jul 11, 2011.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

now he's gettin recognition from espn for retiring?

2. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

People of Stern's background don't cry at these types of things. They find other venues to garner and then destroy.

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree. Yao rarely if ever got the superstar calls he deserved. He was officiated so unfairly it was not even funny. Well I'm glad that the NBA can't make any more money off of him directly. Perhaps only via the roads he paved for them, but no new roads will be paved imo.

4. highlander3128

Do you mean Hakeem's fan also had moved on when he left Huston for Toronto?

5. highlander3128

Allow me to reiterate this:

Hakeem's fans HAD TO move on when he left Huston for Toronto.

6. Stepping Razor

*Houston:)

7. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

The Bulls aren't a global brand?

Sigh, but you're right. Its too bad Yao, Martin, and Lowry never got to play together. I just know that would''ve been a killer combo to watch.

I hope 2K12 keeps Yao in the game and adds Martin's signature get to the free throw line move.

8. onreego

onreego Member

I dont think theres an algorithm to allow that many fouls in a game :p

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i was commenting on the stupidity of people claiming the nba doesn't want yao to be successful. any reason why the nba wouldn't want him to be successful. its about the stupidest claim yao only fan, rocket fan, shaq hater, could make.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

So are you calling JVG a liar? Do you have any evidence to back up your claim like he does?

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

where did jvg say the league doesn't want yao to be successful. i wouldn't take jvg's word as the word of god anyway.

12. ashishduh

He said that the league targeted Yao specifically with officiating biases. That's indirectly "not wanting Yao to be successful". Stern doesn't have to come out and say it for it to be true.

I'm just saying he has first-hand knowledge and you don't, which inherently makes his statement more credible.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no its not, the league wrote a memo to refs to make sure they reffed yao correctly. jvg took offense, but that doesn't mean they want yao to be unsuccessful

anyway, jvg is not god, you're using his interpretation of a memo. he doesn't have first hand knowledge, we all know what he was referring to

lastly, why would they want a guy with hundreds of millions of potential fans to be unsuccessful. its a ridiculous assertion.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Umm... that in of itself is anti-Yao. Because officials have NEVER called Yao's defenders "correctly". If they did, Yao would've averaged like 20 fts in his career.

Making sure Yao doesn't move an inch on a screen while letting his defender elbow and punch him in the post doesn't make things fair. It just confirms what JVG said.

15. ashishduh

Are NBA refs that incompetent, that they need to be told how to officiate one single player? That just reaffirms JVG's point.

All special treatment is wrong, it is the definition of a bias. Like I said, this wasn't some command handed down by Stern, it was indirect. So if that's the smoking gun you're looking for then so be it.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

maybe, would say he's a unique player?

no it was handed down by stern, but to assert that the league wanted yao to fail is ludicrous.

you keep changing the argument, that's the only thing i'm saying, the league has no reason to want yao to fail, and all financial incentives for him to succeed.

17. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

you are so sensitive when ppl mention "china" lol

18. Rox2010Champ

Rox2010Champ Member

yao fans like to quickly point out how they dissed yao before, such as calling him tofu so they're not yao fans. funny
    whats wrong w/ being a yao fan anyways. you should be proud of your hero.. i mean, i am a michael jordan only fan and i go post on the bulls message board all the time.

19. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Didn't know he was top 7 in a few categories.

20. booyah

booyah Member

For the same reason why many Americans boycott Japanese and foreign vehicles. Buy American?

For the same reason why many Americans boycott Walmart and many Chinese made products. Buy American?