1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Will Bagwell get lost in Cooperstown crowd?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by eric.81, Nov 30, 2010.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

no doubt....they'll be back again...probably sooner than we think...

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm not giving up brother! And I hope you're right about the "sooner."

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Someone help me find this stat. I remember hearing a while back that Bagwell had driven in Biggio more than any other tandem in MLB history... but I can't find a mention of it.

4. msn

msn Member

every day since '91.

And before '91, and the short Sid Bream interlude in '90, I watched the "Big Bopper" every day, pop-ups and all.

5. msn

msn Member

wow, the memory failed me terribly on that one!

Why did I think Davis was traded before '90?

6. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if this new generation of Astros fans (the ones who grew up watching the on-the-decline Bagwell and Biggio) will ever fully appreciate their greatness. I know Uncle D wanted Berkman and Oswalt to be the next Bagwell and Biggio, but they came up just short in my opinion, and I don't see Bourn and Pence measuring up either.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's just the same as with the current generation of Rockets fans. They'll never know the true greatness of Hakeem unless they got the opportunity to watch him play on a daily basis.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is hard to live up to HOF players. On the plus side, Berk and Oswalt had much better postseason careers (especially Berkman).

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

My 13 yr old started getting really into the Astros in '03...and I dont think he could possibly appreciate the greatness of those 2.

Its not just the greatness though....its an appreciation of 2 guys who wanted to play together and more importantly, truly, truly wanted to be Astros.

Nowadays, guys do whatever they can to leave their options open...playing for San Diego one year, Oakland the next and Philly the next 3 is so the norm today. While its hard to begrudge those guys for grabbing the dough while its there, its just not the same game in that respect.

I laugh when people talk about how the Yankees have all this "homegrown" talent who have been together for all these years. Posada, Jeter, Mariano, Bernie Williams (now retired) and even Pettitte to an extent all came from their farm system. While this may be true, the reason they all stayed together is that the Yankees PAID them all to stay there....If those guys came up on the Astros, Marlins, Brewers etc farms, they would most certainly would have been on 4 different teams by now.

Kudos to Bags and Bidge for being the last of a dieing breed

#29 NJRocket, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. Buck Turgidson

Essentially, he had no weakness (unless you count his anemic hitting in October).

Jeff Bagwell, postseason OPS, 129 PAs: .685

Mike Schmidt, postseason OPS, 158 PAs: .690

Tony Perez, postseason OPS, 189 PAs: .669

Willie Mays, postseason OPS, 99 PAs: .660

Stan Musial, postseason OPS, 99 PAs: .742

Jim Rice, postseason OPS, 90 PAs: .679

Joe Dimaggio, postseason OPS, 220 PAs: .760

Dave Winfield, postseason OPS, 114 PAs: .641

Rod Carew, postseason OPS, 55 PAs: .591

Andre Dawson, postseason OPS, 63 PAs: .475

Orlando Cepeda, postseason OPS, 91 PAs: .610

Tony Gwynn, postseason OPS, 113 PAs: .737

Sample size, b****es.

2 people like this.
  11. msn

msn Member

bam. 

12. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope this guy has a vote!!

In ranking this year's HOF candidates by WAR:

13. eric.81

NICE! Real Astros fan, huh? When I was 7 years old, my mom took me to a card show and we waited in line for 2 and a half hours to get Davis' autograph. Even though it's only worth whatever a used baseball is worth, it remains one of the most cherished items in my house.

14. msn

msn Member

Excellent. I can't say I've met anyone of consequence with the Astros, except for Cecil Cooper while he was retired and before he was involved in the organization. When I met him, I told him I was pulling for them in '82. :grin:

15. RocketMania1991

Unfortunatley I was to young and not interested enough in sports to see the true glory days of Bagwell and Biggio together.

But I'll be fortunate enough and take what I did get to see.

The chance of having two cornerstones of the franchise and two Hall of Fame players finishing their career with one team is truly amazing. They were the epitome of how all players should act and aspire to be.

16. eric.81

One of my wife's best friends had lunch with Hunter Pence yesterday. I was so jealous.

Awesomely enough, my dad's company had season tickets in the Dome when I was growing up... from like the early 80's until they moved to MMP. Back in the day, they had something called "The Skittles Clinic" where kids could go down on the field before batting practice and the players would come out and talk to everyone about baseball, giving us fielding tips and what not. I barely remember it because I was so young... like 7 or 8 or so.

My mom tells me that the friendliest of the ones we met was Cammy and Biggio. I do remember someone asking Biggio what he said to Nolan Ryan when he caught for him. Biggio's response, "You don't tell Nolan ANYTHING! You just do what he tells you to do!" It drew quite a laugh.

Okay... I'll end this long story on this. One year, we got to take pictures with everyone at the Skittles Clinic: Biggio, Cammy, Bopper... about 7 or 8 of the guys. The film was damaged somehow, and the only picture we got out of the roll was one of me, my sister, and my two cousins with... wait for it... Billy Doran.

17. msn

msn Member

good times. I never lived close enough to get that involved, but I pretty much grew up on Gene Elston and Dewayne Staats (then Dierk, then Milo and Dierk...).

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just glad before Bagwell's career was over he got to play in a World Series with the Stros.

I just wish the result was different. :(

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah like the post season matters? :rolleyes:

it's all about those 9-2 games against the pirates,expos,(insert bottom dwelling team name) where bagwell pads his stats in the 8th inning.

Is there a HOF for the most non clutch absentee player when it matters award?

More like jeff yawnwell

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

did you bother to read the rest of his post??? let me copy/paste it for you:

Jeff Bagwell, postseason OPS, 129 PAs: .685

Mike Schmidt, postseason OPS, 158 PAs: .690

Tony Perez, postseason OPS, 189 PAs: .669

Willie Mays, postseason OPS, 99 PAs: .660

Stan Musial, postseason OPS, 99 PAs: .742

Jim Rice, postseason OPS, 90 PAs: .679

Joe Dimaggio, postseason OPS, 220 PAs: .760

Dave Winfield, postseason OPS, 114 PAs: .641

Rod Carew, postseason OPS, 55 PAs: .591

Andre Dawson, postseason OPS, 63 PAs: .475

Orlando Cepeda, postseason OPS, 91 PAs: .610

Tony Gwynn, postseason OPS, 113 PAs: .737