1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Walton thinks the stats lie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cons, Jan 13, 2007.

1. cons

cons Member

during tonights broadcast of the rockets game on espn, walton mentioned he didn't think our defense was up to par with the elite in the division. he claimed dallas and phoenix(????) both were better defensively and that our good defensive stats were only due to houston's slower playing style.

let me be the first to ask, is this guy serious???

2. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

Bill Walton - "Pheonix better defence than rockets"

Walton said something to the effect of "I would take Pheonix' defence any day over Houston".....what a moron....... We are giving up 13+ less points a game.....I think Walton has hit an alltime low in stupidity. Barry called him out on it too.

3. cons

cons Member

arg.... i just made the same thread :mad:

4. teetime

teetime Member

Put down the crack pipe. Bill :D

5. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

sorry didnt see yours....had to be mentioned though.

6. matty101

matty101 Member

Let me begin by saying that Bill Walton is the worst commentater i have ever heard. The bullsh*t that this guy comes up with on a nightly basis is absolutly obsurd. The guy is an absoulte numnut and has the most frustrating voice in the whole of basketball... after avery johnson :D

7. Omer

Omer Member

Yeah, I was like damn he is a hater and pretty r****ded to say that considering we are #1 in Opp FG% AND Opp PPG. And putting Phoenix in defensive teams is just absurd.

8. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

:p
    We just harassed his son's team !! No Wonder you get all this hatred out of his mouth !! :eek:

9. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Walton is stupid mofo, and a rocket hater and always has been. We are the best defense in the NBA, close to the top every yr with JVG. This yr we are #1 in opponent ppg and opponent FG%, stats don't lie, we stifle teams defensively.

10. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

The essence of what Bill was trying to say is that Houston plays slower therefore the other team puts up less shots, which is true. He just has a tendency to exaggerate to make his point.

11. windfern

windfern Member

Bill Rockets is NOT the top defensive team in the league

This is what the dirty old man ESPN commentator Bill Walton said during tonight's game against Denver. Bill said that Rockets D is not as good as Dallas, Spurs and PHOENIX!!!

Jon Barry was very surprised and could not believe what this old guy just said just after showing the FG% allowed by the Rocks this year. Bill said that the only reason why it's low is because of the pace of the game. Geez! Isn't that a part of defensive strategy to mess up the rythym or flow of offense of the opponent.

This old man needs to check his meds.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

ROFLAWL!! I HEARD THIS TOO... SO FUNNY SO FUNNY :D :D

13. windfern

windfern Member

I messed up the title: It should be, Bill Walton: Rockets......

I accidentally pressed the Enter Key..

14. matty101

matty101 Member

Walton just doesnt understand. If he had any idea about basketball he would clearly see that our defence is better than Pheonix's. Some time during the telecast a table was shown of JVG teams and how well they rated in opponents ppg and opponents fg%. Not once since about 1998, i think it was, has jvg been outside the top 5 in those catagories. i repeat Bill Walton is an absolute MORON.. PS has the most annoying voice in basketball...other than avery johnson :D

15. WNBA

WNBA Member

I agree with him. They dont have Alston.

But
    Could suns have done better on defense if they have Rockets players?

16. Rockets kupo

Rockets kupo Member

MY SON LUKE WALTON (SEINFELD HELLO VOICE) LA LA LA

not all announcers are created equally

17. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Yeah Barry asked him if he's been on any Grateful Dead runs lately? He has to be smoking some good $hit if he thinks the Suns play an ounce of defense.

Go Rockets!

18. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

If he's only looking at points allowed, sure that could be true. Walton is correct at about that.

That's why you adjust it for pace (possessions). This is what Walton is missing.

The good thing is when you do the Rockets still have the #1 defensive efficiency in the league.

Rockets #1 = 99.4 points allowed per 100 possessions (DRtg)
    Suns #8 = 104.9
    Mavs #5 = 103.6
    Spurs #2 = 101.7

The Spurs are the scary ones. They have an ORtg of 111.1 to go along with a DRtg of 101.7. The Rockets are 106.4 / 99.4.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Why is it necessary to use per possession data in order to show which team is better defensively? Rockets ranks No.1 both in points allowed per game and opp FG%. Plain and simple.

20. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

walton's just doin his job, and thats bein a HATER, so let that bias prick do his damn job and hate, Barry was awesome tonite contradicting everything walton said, i wish he could mention something like "hey didnt this overrated defensive team whoop yur bratty son's ass a couple nights ago?" :D