1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Varejao signs offer sheet with Bobcats

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jebus, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3141032

Finally, the stupid sideshow bob saga will be over soon.

What a desperation move by the Bobcats. I bet Cleveland matches. I wonder if there will be any lingering resentment on his part about it.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i dont understand greedy players like him. he acts like he was going broke with his last contract! he isn't even good enough to warrant a good contract. I am pretty sure his 6 points and 6 rebounds did not play a BIG role in getting the Cavs to the finals.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

why did he sign this contract? he should have asked for just 1 year. then he'd be restricted, right?

4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think the problem is that it's hard to be grateful for what you have when guys on your team who contribute far less than you do make far more money. That's just the absurd world of the NBA.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

a 3 year 17 mil over a 6 year 52 mil. that guy must have flunked out of math class. hes a bust. im sure hell pop up in two years and really step it up for his contract year.

what a loser

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How does this "help" Varejao? The Cavs will match, have him for 3 years, and save money from what they offered earlier. Pretty absurd.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/pla.../sports/119624306390400.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He needs to play with a great playmaker to be successful. Without Lebron he is going to be exposed.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Because he knows he was asking for too much money and that he cannot possibly have a good enough year to justify his current asking price and is worried that he might not even get a mid-level offer. He's doing the smart thing, getting decent money given his talent, 3 years for Bird Rights, and he gets to play again.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

With Bobcats losing money and being careful with their salary I wonder if this means Morrison is on the block?

11. Jebus

I'm not sure which story is right- the ESPN story says the Cavs rejected Fegan's 6 year/$52 million offer. But the Cleveland story says Varejao rejected the 6 year/$52 million offer from the Cavs. I thought I remembered that Fegan/Varejao offered the $52 million contract, and the Cavs rejected it.

It would be even stupider if both were right (i.e. he offered to sign for $52 million, got denied, then rejected the same offer later on)

The whole situation just seems stupid. I mean we're talking about Anderson Varejao here, not somebody good.

Well $17 million is more than $0, and he gets to be unrestricted in 2 years (he has an opt-out clause after the 2nd year).

Plus he was restricted forever unless he signed some sort of contract. he couldn't just wait this year out. And I doubt he could have found some team willing to sign him to just a 1 year contract, since they'd have to know Cleveland will match.

This way, they might not, since he has the opt out after 2 years. But I think they'll still match, personally. This contract sounds much more reasonable than what he was supposedly asking for.

Seems like they had to settle, since everybody knows he's not worth their asking price. Now he gets to try to prove that he is, and can cash in in 2 years if he manages to prove himself.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

if i remember correctly, Fegan was the reason why Hakeem demanded more money and went on to Toronto :(

13. Jebus

Why, would you want to trade for him?

I think it's more likely that the Bobcats have deluded themselves into thinking they can contend for the playoffs in the East. They're only 1.5 games out right now.

and I think he's the one that conned the Rockets into giving Moochie that crazy contract too.

#13 Jebus, Dec 4, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Well we need to send Mr.Varejao a "Welcome to the real world" email.

15. jc1988

jc1988 Member

Bonzi Wells Jr.....

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Cavs will match and have completely trumped the Fegan/Varejao nonsense. This is a stinging defeat for idiocy and a victory for common sense. It isn't very often that an agent so dramatically misplays the hand of their client.

Starting from scratch, the Cavs couldn't have written up a better contract for themselves, except maybe to add a 4th year. If Varejao wants big money, he will actually have to improve and develop a little game. What a novel idea. :eek:

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I can't believe either this guy or his agent thought he was seriously worth $52 million over six years.

It would be like if Chuck Hayes held out this past offseason under the impression that he was worth big time money for flopping, making hustle plays and picking up a few garbage points here & there. Lucky for us, Chuck has a brain and is willing to put the team first.

18. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

word.

this is the start of dumb decisions. teams need to refuse to sign dumb players like this. there's plenty of kids in the d-league who probably can get you 6/6 a night and you won't have to pay freakin 17million.

you always see guys with big contracts sitting on the bench because no team wants them...this is how it all starts.

lewis for 120 million anyone?

these are all candidates for future juwan howards

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

AJ is smart to have taken a deal (because a basketball player...plays basketball), and reports had indicated the Cavs wanted him to get an offer so they could match.

I wish he were a Rocket at that price. Or even for more lucre.

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

A factor in that is I think Chuck has one of the best agencies in the biz with Bill Duffy (IMHO - and with limited knowledge)

Curiosity has me asking, who did Bonzi have as his agent that blew this Sacramento deal for him?