1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Update on Vince Carter rumors (includes proposals)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aznoob, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

2. GoRoxFromDC

GoRoxFromDC Member

NEW ESPN ARTICLE REGARDING POSSIBLE NETS-ROX TRADE WITH ACTUAL PROPOSALS

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913836

i say get it done. I would like to see Tracy out of here for Vince. jmo. enough is enough with tracy.------------------------------------------

The Rockets and New Jersey Nets meet on the court Tuesday night in Houston. Will they be swapping more than baskets?

The two teams have exchanged Vince Carter trade proposals over the past few days, league sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.

Currently the teams are haggling over what the Nets will get in return for Carter. Sources say the Rockets have been pushing a trade that sends Tracy McGrady to the Nets for Carter and Trenton Hassell. However, the Nets are balking at taking back McGrady's contract.

McGrady is slated to make $22 million during the 2009-10 season. However, McGrady's contract comes off the books in the summer of 2010. The deal would save the Nets roughly $21 million over the life of Carter's contract. The Nets would then have around $30 million in cap room to use in a stellar free-agent market.

Sources say the Nets are also concerned about McGrady's health. McGrady has already missed 18 games this year. The Houston Chronicle reported on Tuesday that McGrady missed Monday's practice and will not play against the Nets as he prepares to seek more opinions on his problematic left knee.

The Nets have countered with a proposal that would send Carter and Josh Boone to the Nets for a combination of Ron Artest, Shane Battier, Luther Head and Carl Landry.

The Nets proposal is both financially and talent related. The contracts of Artest and Head expire this summer, clearing around $8 million off the team's cap in the summer of 2009. Sources say the team is looking for immediate cap relief in any deal for Carter. However, management doesn't want to completely gut the team and believes that Battier and Landry could play important roles in the future.

At this point sources say that the ball is in the Rockets' court. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Rockets were still mulling over the Nets' proposal. While the Rockets have strong interest in Carter, they may be reluctant to take on the remaining two years and $37 million left on his contract if they can't move McGrady as part of the transaction. They would also lose two valuable pieces for them in Battier and Landry. Is Carter good enough to make up for their losses?

The Rockets aren't the only team the Nets have spoken with concerning Carter. The Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs and Cleveland Cavaliers have all shown interest, though it sounds like the Rockets deal has the highest probability of happening. The Rockets have been shopping McGrady hard over the past month to a number of teams but have struggled to find takers given his injury history and contract.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That's way too much. Don't do it.

4. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

lol, i JUST posted this.

5. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

lol damn you beat me 2 it :D . But its a horrible trade for the Rockets. If they give up Artest and Battier then that will be a dumb move.

6. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

Ron Artest, Carl Landry, Luther Head, Shane Battier

Wow, no way is Morey that dumb.

7. chestr

chestr Member

terrible counter-offer

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

The Nets have countered with a proposal that would send Carter and Josh Boone to the Nets for a combination of Ron Artest, Shane Battier, Luther Head and Carl Landry.

R.I.P. to any playoff hopes if we make this trade.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

If Morey agrees to this he should be drug tested.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

One of these is getting locked. Fa sho. ;)

12. bamtonio

bamtonio Member

boone offsets landry

13. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No freaking way

Though I would TOTALLY do the VC for TMac.

14. JKillaD23

JKillaD23 Member

you gotta give up something good in order to receive something good. Josh Boone is a nice back-up pf/c. Mutombo can tutor him.

15. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

I would be very happy if we could get that T-Mac for VC and Hassell trade done

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If they want Landry, they have to take T-Mac, imo. I would counter with T-Mac and Landry for Carter, Hassell, and Najera.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Update: VC to Houston?

I know there are a million of other threads out there on the same thing but this is the latest of all, and it seems things are heating up, and the ball may be in our court. Feel free to lock otherwise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3913836

Few main points

-Rockets want to send T-Mac back to NJ but they are reluctant to accept because of his health.
    -Rockets may be reluctant to trade for Carter because of his contract unless they can trade T-Mac back to NJ.
    -Shane Battier has become part of the package proposed by the Nets.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Artest, Battier, Landry, (Head)????

Nawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

yeah we're going to give them shane AND ron? morey won't do it.

20. Coob5

Coob5 Member

Do the T-Mac for VC trade, I am down. The other trade proposal, I am not a fan of.