1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Troy Glaus to sign with D'backs

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jebus, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Here

4 years, 45 million.

One potential Beltran consolation prize gone. What do you guys think of that contract?

Cut & pasted below.

------------------

Associated Press

PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks are set to sign free-agent third baseman Troy Glaus to a four-year, $45 million contract, a newspaper reported Thursday.

The Arizona Republic said Glaus agreed terms late Wednesday night and his signing would be announced by the Diamondbacks at a news conference Thursday at Bank One Ballpark.

Diamondbacks officials did not immediately return calls seeking comment on the newspaper's story.

The Republic said Glaus would be given a $4 million signing bonus and a salary of $8.25 million in 2005, $9.25 million in 2006, $10.75 million in 2007 and $12.75 million in 2008 with none of the money deferred.

The Anaheim Angels declined to offer salary arbitration to Glaus on Tuesday, cutting ties with the 2002 World Series MVP.

A three-time All-Star, the 28-year-old Glaus missed most of last season because of a right shoulder injury that required surgery on May 21. He batted .251 with 18 homers and 42 RBIs in 58 games.

Glaus led the American League with 47 homers in 2000, then hit 41 the following year. He has three 100-RBI seasons, but shoulder injuries have slowed him the past two years.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm suprised Arizona unloaded the big bucks for another slugger who could very well be injured for them.... see Richie Sexon.

That team is very much in debt, and after they lose Randy Johnson... they're not going to be drawing at all this season.

Frankly, I would have saved that money for a true cornerstone for a franchise (whether he came this year, or next year)... not Troy Glaus. (although he's a good player).

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The years are ok, but he's definately overpaid.

4. Glish21

Glish21 Member

ya way to much money, he had one great year. he'll be a good power hitter but now worth all that cash

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I really don't understand what the Diamondbacks are doing. I mean I thought they were going to try to rebuild but they go out and get Sexson last year and he did nothing for them because of injuries. So, what do they do? They get another slugger who has a penchant for getting hurt and overpay him.

It is hard to believe that this organization, in a little over 4 years, has gone from World Series champions to laughable losers.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't forget Manny, this is a team that is supposedly in a real bad way financially. They have so many deferred contracts that they are still paying on it is unreal. I have said it before, the management (team and Front Office) for that organization is horrid. They were almost certainly going to have to trade Johnson, because they couldn't afford him. By signing Glaus that have assuredly decided to deal Randy.

7. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Hey Castor,

John still isn't with them, is he (for some reason, I thought he was with the Rockies)?

If he is no longer with them, I bet he is very happy; however, if he is still with them, I bet he can't wait to get out of there.