1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Thorpe on Kobe vs LeBron

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Dec 23, 2009.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Great piece by David Thorpe, a guy who understands and appreciates the numbers-side of analysis, but is also a coach with a deep understanding of the fundamentals of the game as well.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=KobeLeBron-091223

This is based purely on his evaluation of their game this season. His "scorecard":

Perimeter shooting: LeBron 10, Kobe 9
    Pure Scoring: Kobe 10, LeBron 9
    Making Teammates Better: LeBron 10, Kobe 8
    Primary Defender: LeBron 10, Kobe 9
    Secondary Defender: Kobe 10, LeBron 9
    Impact in Transition: LeBron 10, Kobe 9
    Rebounding: LeBron 10, Kobe 10
    Intangibles: Kobe 10, LeBron 9

Conclusion: LeBron with the slight edge. Both are awesome.

Thorpe goes into detail on each player for each of those categories. He makes great arguments at each point, in my opinion.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

NO way...

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't like the arbitrary 9's and 10's. So what is Howard's rebounding 29?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea. . i think it fails right about there

Rocket River

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

And why is Kobe 8 and Lebron 10 at making teamates better. How is that even measured

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

how the hell is he gonna say kobe and lebron are equal rebounders?

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

this dude sucks

8. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

This guy is a complete idiot. We've seen Kobe destroy the Rockets enough times to know that is he better than anyone else in the league today.

9. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

Lol wow, overall Kobe is still better.

10. durvasa

Not that they are "equal rebounders"; but he gives them equal credit for how their rebounding contributes to the team. Slightly different.

He adjusts for the positions they play (LeBron gets more minutes at PF), and also considering that Kobe is better on the offensive glass. Ultimately, its subjective -- he's not going based on a strict formula.

Like I said, he makes good arguments on all the points. Perhaps it was a mistake to just post the "scorecard" tallies rather than the actual analysis.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

until lebron gets a better jumpshot, he will always be below Kobe

12. durvasa

Its like a scorecard, so the 10 goes to which ever player is better in the particular category, and the other player's score is set relative to that.

If Howard was joining in the comparison, it would probably be something like : Howard -10, LeBron - 8, Kobe - 8 (again, the rating being relative to their position).

13. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

People are jumping to conclusions just by glancing the scorecard. Thorpe knows his stuff and does back up his assessments with some good points in the article.

FTA:

14. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

Tried to post the whole thing so people wouldn't just glance at the scorecard and jump to conclusions... looks like the post is too big :grin:

I've read enough from and about Thorpe to realize that he knows what he's talking about. He does back up his numerical assessments of the players with valid arguments in the article.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Very interesting, thanks for posting. One point I always found interesting is how Thorpe points out how NBA players almost unanimously feel Kobe is the game's best, meanwhile it seems the majority of us fans seem to side with LeBron.

But anyway, I agree with the general conclusion that LeBron gets the slight edge today, that Kobe is the closest thing to MJ and that the league has never seen anything like LeBron.

16. durvasa

BTW, I just ran through my play-by-play spreadsheet (updated through 12/19). For shots taken greater than 18 feet distance, Kobe is 64/172 (37%). LeBron is 99/248 (40%). So LeBron takes more longer shots this year, and he's making a higher percentage.

Thorpe is an expert on shooting, so I trust his judgment there. He made it clear that his evaluation is strictly based on performance he's observed this season. And, it looks like the numbers back him up in this case.

17. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I agree with this guy, I personally would prefer to have a guy like kobe on my team, but i do think lebron is slightly better.
    Lebron took the cavs to the finals couple years ago and the the ecf last year with really no supporting cast, if you look at kobes championship team, hes had guys like shaq, pao, odom, horry, fisher, a great supporting cast

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Threethings I have an issue with:

1. Rebounding: Why is this even being used to test who's better? Especially if both players scores the same and somehow both scores the maximum number of points? If rebounding is being taken into account, why aren't steals or assists accredited for as well?

2. Perimeter shooting: Isn't it a well known fact that Kobe's been laying off on the perimeter shooting while utilizing more of his inside/post up game? I mean, those lessons/practices with Olajuwon must have been for something right? The only thing that one can conclude from using this year's stats ALONE is that LeBron is improving his perimeter shooting and that Kobe isn't shooting like crazy from 3 point land like he has been the past 3-4 years.

3. Making teammates better: Would this be accounting for assists? I don't have Insider so I'm just taking the information at face value without reading the article itself. What else does this include? +/-? And wouldn't "making teammates better" fall under the "intangibles" category?

I don't have an issue with Thorpe's conclusion because I have respect for the guy and because LeBron hasn't tapped a fraction of his physical talents/abilities yet but some of those rated "categories" seems to be either unnecessary or require a bigger sample size

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wtf i thought this thread was gonna be about otis :mad:

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed.