1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: The Scouting Report on Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basso, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Timing

Timing Member

Oh yeah, he didn't really address Yao's lack of explosion to the ball aside from pointing out the lack of lateral movement. If there's anything I've found disappointing about Yao it's been the lack of explosion to the ball. Getting those balls that are just up for grabs and reacting from the weak side quickly on defense.

2. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

"Because he fades away on almost every jump shot, his shot is virtually unblockable ...."

I actually disagree with the above statement. It seems the release point of his fade away jump shot is pretty low. In addition, he bring the ball forward (and thereby toward the defenders) during fade away. The reason for the fade away is to create seperation, by bring the ball forward completely negate the effect of the fade away.

I think the reason for his dive in FGP is (besides the rookie wall) exactly because his fade away jump shot is NOT unblockable. Therefore, he has to rush his shots and thereby completely screw up his timing.

He has so much lateral quickness (on the offensive end) that he always create big seperation between him and his defenders, hate to see the beautiful move wasted on bad shooting form.

By the way, big thanks to Basso for sharing a great article.

3. Toast

Toast Member

I noticed it too, but since New Orleans used to be the home of the Jazz, I let him slip with this one.

4. sun12

sun12 Member

So the off-season for Yao would be:

1. work on his weight training
    2. work on his fadeway shooting technique
    3. work on his rebounding technique
    4. work on his lateral movement
    5. develop a sky hook?

Since he has to go back to China for the national team duty, how can the Rox work on Yao's game?

5. Raven

Raven Member

Perhaps, but coaches around the league still believe that Yao isn't being utilized properly. "What do they run for him?" asks a veteran assistant. "He sets a pick at the high post, then rolls into the pivot. Or else he'll just set up on the left box. That's about it. Yao simply isn't getting enough touches."

Correct

100 Percent Correct

Raven

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the reason he's not getting the touches is that when he rolls to the basket, the rocket guards dribble with their heads down, often double teamed, w/o even looking to pass. this also often happens when EG sets a pick and then rolls to an open spot on the wing. rocket guards dribble AWAY from the guy who set the pick, w/o ever looking to get the ball to him. the pick and roll is not about getting a shot for the guy w/ the ball- it's about getting an easy shot for the guy who set the pick!

7. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

While I certainly think you can question Rudy on the strenght of his x' and o's, I can't think of a coach who is more highly regarded for the fact that he DOES NOT embarrass his players in public in any way, AND NEVER HAS. Based on such a totally ignorant observation, you have to question the rest of this anonymous person's credibility.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think you are right, that was the other part that I thought was really wrong. I forgot to mention that.

9. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I interpreted this more to mean that the player's were embarrassed for Rudy. Like your mom doing something embarrassing with you in public. Not that he was humiliating them.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought that at first as well, but then he clarifies with this line:

That sounds like a PJ-type, not Rudy. I have never seen him get in a player's face and start yelling.

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Rudy must have the luck of the Irish on his side! I hope the little people are working at his side to-night!

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I beg to differ. And i Will give you a specific incident to look back at. Look closely if you have tape of game 2 of 94-95 NBA Finals against Magic. Late fourth quarter Magic are trying to make a comeback and they start to pressure full court. Sam Cassell was late coming back and helping out against full press. Time out was called as as Sam walked towards the bench, Rudy walked on the court, kept going at Sam while yelling, "Go to the Fu**in Ball, Go to the fuc..in ball....." He was yelling so loud at the top of his lungs for whole arena to hear. Even Rockets players were lil embarassed by this. All this while Sam's great play in that game was one of the main reasons Rockets were about to go up 2-2 in the FInals. There were other times where Rudy barked at Sam. So thsi writer's assessment was right. dont see rudy doing the same with any Rockets players nowadays. I would say his credibility is pretty intact. In fact, almost everything he wrote is to the bullseye.

13. mackomon

mackomon Contributing Member

Yao has enough junk in his trunk to be a big-time low-post scorer.

The statement made me crack-up! :D

Thanks for the good article.

14. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

OK, now that it's been established that this guy is credible, what's the solution the Rudy's deficiencies? Should you guys call in his show and teach him? :)

15. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I remember him getting in Sam Cassell's face quite often.

16. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Well, I guess we will just have to disagree about Rudy's sideline demeanor and treatment of his players. I was a Rocket season ticket holder for all of Rudy's career up until last year, and I don't remember Rudy getting in anybody's grill or publicly showing up a player except on rare occasion. I am especially proud to have Rudy as Houston's coach due to the class with which I believe he conducts himself, both currently and in the past (a few martinis excepted).

I posted my original comment because, in view of Rudy's strengths and weaknesses as a coach, I thought it was a definite cheap shot and off the mark. I still think it is.

Other than that remark, however, I thought it was a great article.

17. carayip

carayip Member

It was a great article. Yao is not prefect he has a lot to learn and improve.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Anybody would want to get in Sam Cassell's face often. :D