1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] The Purge Has Started

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Feb 7, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Firing quality people who don’t fit my vision. Now that’s funny right there, amen! Praise the Lord!

Nook likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You sure about this?

Nook likes this.
  3. raining threes

There's a housecleaning going on. Long time employees are getting let go. This is the way it should be after going 4-12. The players should feel uncomfortable. Most wont be here in two years so their thoughts on what's going on dont matter. I know JE is just carrying out Cal's wishes but he needs to be a part of the full housecleaning too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I feel remarkably silly hoping, at one point, that Cal might take what was good about his dad (patient; spent money; mostly stayed out of the way) and building on it by being more progressive and forward-thinking.

I am absolutely flabbergasted what he's done to this organization. Like, they didn't really *have* a legacy - but he has burned whatever it was to the ****ing ground and it is so disheartening and disappointing.

REEKO_HTOWN, gatsby, joshuaao and 4 others like this.
  5. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Shouldn’t Easterby be “cleaned” after Texans went 4-12?

He probably contributed more to that record than the equipment staff.

BHannes2BHonest, msn, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don’t know anything about these people but I struggle with the outrage when an organization that most here believe is a total joke forever purges people. Like how can you think all of the equipment people are amazing, team president is amazing, coaches are good, business people are good, PR lady is good, scouts are good, cap guy is good etc etc the only problem is the owner and his preacher who's had power for less than a year.

You have players who have been gone for YEARS saying this organization has a bad "culture" and always has yet the only people who are apparently responsible for that are two people who weren't in charge when they were here.

Texans need a culture change! Texans don't communicate with players well! People don't like the "organization!" They don't know how to talk to players! They get fleeced on contracts!

Oh but literally everybody who's part of the organization is a great person that needs to keep their job except for Cal and Easterby.

TheFreak and raining threes like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Correct.

8. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

This is 100% spot on IMO. The equipment manager could've been great at what he did as well as there needing to be a staff reset. Both things can be true. Guys have been coming out of the woodwork to bash the Texans, yet some of them have never even met Easterby, and weren't there when Cal started "making all the decisions...."

The bigger question though is, if Bob McNair isn't there anymore, and Easterby just got there, what's the real reason for cultural issues? Who should get the blame for it?

Because although I think what you said is true, it's still interesting that they decided to let go of an equipment manager.... Not really sure what the explanation for that would be...

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Need to remove the names from the back of the jerseys and logo off the helmet. Again. #culturechange #thatllshowem

Should probably fire those cafeteria workers Deshaun paid as well. #culturechange

[​IMG]

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It could all be an indictment of the McNair family.

raining threes likes this.
  11. raining threes

Yes he should be part of the housecleaning IMHO and I've stated this many times. Unfortunately Cal doesn't see it this way. Easterby was brought in to clean house. not be a part of the housecleaning. Easterby is just carrying out Cal's wishes.

My biggest issue with the Watson fiasco is that Watson knew the power structure before he signed his extension. But he took the money anyway. (I cant blame him) However to now try a power play because he got paid is weak. IMHO and obviously Cal isn't going to play those games. I fully expect a trade sometime before the draft.

Sooty likes this.
  12. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I'm not necessarily sure that was the case. Around the time he signed his extension, Easterby was just a guy that he "hadn't gotten to know very well", then once B.O.B. was let go, Easterby became the interim GM.... Maybe Easterby didn't go back to the shadows like he was supposed to.... (I obviously have no idea, but most fans hadn't even really heard about Easterby at that point)....something definitely changed...

Sooty likes this.
  13. raining threes

Yep what changed is Cal gave Watson a voice on the hiring committee (Mistake) Watson took that as he got to hire the new GM/HC. (Wrong)

14. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Makes sense.

Half the team won't be here in two years, but at the same time, only 3 other teams will have less cap space than the Texans in two years.

It's says a bit!

15. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

This is so true. Self-ownage, self-immolation, all in the name of some perverted form of self-preservation of the Easterby power structure. Look at the quality people that have been let go and I would ask to those who think this is not a problem: What type of culture are the Texans building? What are the character traits the Texans are focused on with the people they are bringing in?

The hiring doesn’t appear to be based on winning football games. But I’m looking for someone to tell me how firing well-liked highly-respected employees, such as PR and Equipment Management personnel, while alienating the players and possibly turning off future free agents, is building a winning franchise.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  16. raining threes

Not if they bite the bullet and start trimming salary.

I actually expect this to happen.

17. Nook

Nook Member

People need to remember these types of things when they wonder why former and retired players say that the McNair family don’t give a **** about the players.

18. raining threes

Easterby=BOB these days

Unfortunately Easterby's only Cal's messenger. Cant fire the owner as Cowboys fans well know.

19. raining threes

It's true, players are just instruments to make money not only for Cal but for 99% of sports ownership.

20. Nook

Nook Member

The worst part is we don’t know when this will end... it is just getting started. We saw how long he let BOB go destroying the team... Easterbay is the guy that got close enough to Cal to push BOB out and apparently is a extremely close to Cal.

conquistador#11 and Hey Now! like this.