1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Tebow changing his throwing position and learning to be under center

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by kaleidosky, Feb 22, 2010.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This guy is really making it very tough for me to continue to dislike him. He's putting in the effort, making the necessary changes... if he succeeds as a QB in the NFL, it'll be just serious hard work that made it happen. Damn him!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4935351

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I did notice he brings the ball down way too low before making all his throws. Making simple yet fundamental improvements such as this should definitely help. From changing his rather prolonged throwing motion to learning how to take 3-5 step dropbacks instead operating exclusively out of the shotgun might get some of these teams thinking he's more than just a potential wildcat/gadget play type player. I still have a hard time viewing him as an NFL quarterback, but I suppose the arm strength and intangibles are all there. If the accuracy improves I guess you can't rule the idea out.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Very impressive for an abortion baby.

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm an abortion survivor...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

So he is learning fundamental quarterback skills a couple weeks before the draft? Better late than never I guess

6. kaleidosky

well, i can see why he didn't before--his game was suited to the college game and, specifically, his team. Why change something that's ultra-successful for where you are? If his team was mediocre or if he was mediocre, I could see prepping for the future and adjusting and all...but given that they were both elite, he kinda had to stick to what he had.

And now he's smart enough to see what the future could be like and is adjusting.. gotta give him credit compared to others who have waited till they got to the NFL to try to start adjusting when their original stuff didn't work. (Or others who simply never made it b/c their games didn't translate)

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Aren't we all? :confused:

8. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Yea tell that to the fan who has to have Tebow as the leader of their franchise..... grim outlook :(

9. kaleidosky

hahaha yeah.. it better be a team who already has someone rather than a Washington/STL type

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i really don't see what the big deal is about learning to play under center or his throwing motion. this guy has a gun and seems to be tough and stable. that seems plenty to be able to start out with

11. Major

Major Member

Tebow's not going to be drafted as an immediate franchise QB. He'd be a 3rd round pick at best - probably much lower. The shotgun thing is an issue, but more and more NFL offenses are running shotgun spreads, so it's not a huge deal. The real issue is the throwing motion. That thing is a disaster right now - it just takes way too long. If he can change that, he has potential to be a functional QB in the NFL a few years down the road.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Very tangential and divisive for a sports thread.

13. kaleidosky

to me, as much as anything else, it shows through action (rather than just talk) that he's willing to make changes as necessary. He's not gonna come in and need an offense to completely be revamped around his skillset, and he's not gonna say "i've always been incredibly successful--this can work in the nfl".

That has to be reassuring to GMs who were considering him, and I bet he's helped his draft stock considerably by doing it

14. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Yup, this is the point. He really couldn't have tried to learn that in college? Of course he didn't need to at Florida when his main use was as a fullback.

This guy should just focus on being a fullback or tight end. I still say his NFL career won't last more than three years, at which point he becomes a figurehead for (corporation X's) (Name Your Cause).

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you guys what Tebow in college?

He had like 20 minutes to throw the ball cause the Florida O-line was so good.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good for him admitting the changes were necessary, making the adjustments and giving it his best shot. I'm not convinced he will be successful. He won't make it as a starting NFL QB.

BTW, I don't dislike Tebow at all and wish him the best.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He really just needs to be an H-back already.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

He's an inspirational leader... he can lead his NFL team in a cry and "hug it out" session after every loss.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Probably hugging out some nutsacks too.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

They couldn't tell from the fetus x-ray that he was going to have a weak arm?