1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Stephen Jackson fined $50K

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chuck04, Nov 6, 2010.

1. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

He's already gotten 2 this year.

No more of that flailing, begging for a foul BS. Dwight's gotten 2 already too.

That's why this no tolerance rule is so great...it has to be applied across the board because it's so easy to see on camera.

2. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Superstars, stars, scrubs, nobody is above the law now and that's why whining has been cut down so much.

Basketball this year is just exciting as last year (well not for Rocket fans but it's not because of the rule)

Removing whining from the game hasn't made basketball any more boring or less passionate. We're just missing the cry babies and that's a good thing.

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The problem is nobody cares about whining but David Stern. It doesnt affect the outcomes of games. Fans dont give a ***** how much Kobe whines. They wanna see players compete at the highest level. However, the game isnt competitive if the refs continue to dictate who wins and who loses. NOBODY is holding these refs accountable for the terrible job their doing

Tim Donaghy is looking more and more like a genius :rolleyes:

4. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Are you kidding me. It's not just me who hates Kobe's whining.

Look at all the game threads when the Rockets play the Lakers. Everybody complains about how Kobe's always crying to the refs to get a call.

Who really enjoys watching Kobe begging for a call?

And I think sometimes, the refs start giving in to his whining and the calls start going his way.

I don't enjoy that.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The game isnt boring. But it's definatley on the verge of crashing if somebody doesnt tell Stern he's ruining the game. Whining isnt the biggest problem in the NBA, FLOPPING is. When players stand in front of other players and fall down, and get rewarded from the refs, it's got outta hand.

Basically what the whining rule says is, "Not only will we cheat and manipulate who wins basketball games. But the players will have absolutley no say in it either".

Can we say dictatorship :confused:
    about it either".

6. moose

moose Member

You would think the NBA is just making it worse for their image by actually making headline stories about these incidents. These type of things would have been completely unnoticeable if it wasn't for them making such a stupid crackdown on something that could have been absolutely nothing.

7. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I agree about the flopping, that ruins the game and hopefully the NBA does something about it.

I think it's actually the opposite.

Stern is holding refs accountable now.

Before, we used to see players get away with all kinds of whining because they had a good relationship with the ref or that they were a superstar. So if the ref liked the player, he'd let him get away with it.

Now, the refs are 100% accountable. If ANY player comes up with you flailing his arm; you must give the tech regardless of who it is.

We can see all see it on TV, there is no "judgment" call any more so the refs can't cheat and let something go when everybody at home can see it so clearly.

8. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

By you isolating Kobe for whining tells me you have a personal hatred for him. Lebron, Wade, Paul etc.....All whine to refs :rolleyes:

Bottom line, it doesnt affect the game. You cant be a true basketball fan by caring who whines to the refs. Instead of giving the refs more power, they should investigate whether the refs are still gambling on games. I can almost bet that their still refs who are still getting paid under the table

9. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I actually respect Kobe's game. I hate his whining. If you see my previous posts, I give props to Kobe quite a few times.

But whining is for little girls.

There are plenty of ways to improve basketball. Gambling, cheating by the refs would be great to remove but difficult.

I think the NBA has gone a long way in the last 2 years to remove the stigma of cheating by the refs and holding them more accountable.

1. This "No Whining for ANYBODY" rule is great. It makes it 100% transparent that the ref isn't allowed to cheat and let whining go for Star players. Everybody can see it.

3. The NBA game is much more fluid and less "star treatment" given because players like Kobe, Lebron, Wade can't lobby for calls all game long.

4. Instant Replay for out of bounds calls means a ref can't just cheat and give it to his favorite team.

5. Expanded replay's on last minute shots, clear path fouls, shot clock violations.

The NBA has actually done a very good job in the last couple of years in cutting down cheating, bad calls and crying to get more fouls.

They can do a BETTER job but at least they are working on it.

10. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Are you serious????

There have been more TERRIBLE calls than ever. I remember specifically one this year against the Hornets when David West ran into Yao and they called the foul ON YAO for standing there. That's ridiculous!!!! Who actually will hold the refs accountable for plays like that? That was Yao's 4th foul and he had to sit the whole 3rd quarter and most of the 4th. I mean you cant be serious?

11. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Refs are human and they make mistakes.

Refs will always be human and they will always make mistakes.

That is a part of the game.

The NBA does review every game and assesses referee performance. If they constantly suck or miss calls, they get sent to referee a different game.

Does anybody even remember the horrible Violet Palmer? She no longer refs in the NBA.

NBA refs are held accountable; but they are also allowed a certain number of mistakes.

12. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

About this specific play, sure the ref made a mistake.

But do you remember the call on the opening night vs the Lakers?

The ref called out of bounds on the Rockets to give the ball back to the Lakers. It was off the Scola missed layup remember?

But after they did instant replay, they overturned their call and gave the ball back to the Rockets. Rockets still missed the game winning shot but at least they were given the chance on a bad call.

That's a great improvement over previous years when the Lakers would have just been given the game.

13. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

So Lebron, Wade, Chris Paul, Stoudamire, Howard and just about every star is a "girl" according to you.

Um, how? The refs are still making TERRIBLE calls. Games are being decided by these calls. If they were held accountable, then why is it still happening?

Your obviously delusional.

1) The stars are still getting star treatment and players like Yao are still getting mauled with no calls.

2) The "flow" of the game is constantly stopped by ticky tack touch fouls. Flopping is currently at a all time high

3) Flopping is currently at an all time high. The refs are rewarding players for this.

If you dont see how bad the calls have got then you arent watching the same game. Even the commentators have commented on it.

14. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Whats the use if you dont know what's a foul and not a foul?

15. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

No point arguing with YaoZow. He/She just doesn't get it.

16. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Refs are human and make mistakes.

How many times did you have to see the replay in slow motion before you could decide who it was off of?

Even watching it in slow motion, it took 2 or 3 different angles to say for sure.

Refs don't have instant replay on the court, they have to determine a foul at real time speed.

It's not easy to always get it right.

17. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Lol, this is what sore losers do.

18. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Not any more. They all stopped their crying this year.

How many TERRIBLE calls have you seen this year? And how many GOOD calls have you seen this year.

You're delusional. Good calls FAR outweigh bad calls.

Refs are human. We need SLO MO to see a correct call...refs have to do it in REAL TIME.

You're obviously stupid.

Hello, Yao IS a star. Big players like Yao and Shaq have always been difficult to ref.

Yao does get mauled, but at the same time, Yao just moves his butt an inch and most defenders go flying. Yao is has the benefit and the curse of being so big.

That has nothing to do with this topic, preach in a different thread.

What are you talking about? Commentators from teams all over are saying that the refereeing and new instant replays are great this year.

Even JVG, notorious ref basher, was saying how much better the officiating was this year.

The Rockets themselves benefited from the new rule changes this year vs the Lakers on that Scola layup.

Lol, what games are YOU watching?

19. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Then I was right. You dont watch too many games. I encourage you too

Well, first off. Making the right call is what the refs GET PAID TO DO. Their job is too make good calls. Thats why they have 3 of them.

Secondly, lets start last night.

1)Aaron Brooks went for a drive and was slapped on his hand RIGHT IN FRONT of the official. It was a non call. Even though you can hear the slap from my tv screen :rolleyes:

2) Ish Smith slid over for a charge and was OUTSIDE of the restricted area but was called for a foul, and that was a game changer.

3) Scola was called for a push in the back, even though he didnt even touch the guy. His elbow wasnt extended and his man just jumped in the air. That call was also a game changer in favor of San Antonio

3 terrible calls made in one night. 2 of the 3 bad calls were made in the crucial momments of the game.

If you get paid to make the right call and consistently make bad calls then you arent doing a good job. As a matter of fact, you should be FINED for every bad call you make. There are 3 refs and theres no reason there should be bad calls EVERY game.

I believe your blind. Either that or a hockey fan posing as a basketball fan. Yao has always got bad calls on offense and defense. Any true Rocket fan knows this. Its been blatant since his rookie year. You have no argument

You are a piece of work. The Rockets are 0-5. How exactly have they benefited from the officiating. Yao's still in foul trouble for standing with his hands up, and Aaron Brooks gets slapped right in front of the refs with no call. It's called dictating the outcomes of games. If Yao gets his calls, the Rockets would NOT be 0-5.

20. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I encourage proof, not your wild speculation. Thanks.

All 3 refs are human, they will make bad calls.

Firstly, please learn basketball...you can slap a players hand as many times as you want. No foul.

What time was this in the game. I have league pass and will review it.

Lol how about the end of the game where he DIDN'T get called for the push on Duncan? He basically threw him out of the court.

1 bad call that was made up for with a non-call. That's what refs do when they realize they made a mistake.

There WILL Be bad calls EVERY game. Just the way human nature is. These players are so strong, so fast, we need instant replay to get it right.

Nobody is perfect and that isn't going to change.

You obviously don't know how to read. I said "Yao does get mauled".

You're just a blind homer who likes to cry about the refs and don't know jack about basketball.

Brooks was slapped in the hand, that is NOT a foul. :grin: