1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Stephen Jackson fined $50K

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Chuck04, Nov 6, 2010.

1. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I like to watch basketball, not stars whining for even more special treatment like they don't get enough already.

I see none of that BS this year and that's a good thing to me.

2. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

You can, courteously, complain to the refs once under the new rule. Then you must walk away.

That's what Tony Parker did and under the rules, he doesn't get a tech.

You saw SJ, he kept jawing at the ref. Then he's still cussing at the ref after he left the floor.

3. sew

sew Member

I hate the fact that they are handing out techs for disputing a call, but let's be real, how often do referees change their call when a player is up in their face arguing? Almost never, which really makes it pointless. IMO

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Don't watch basketball. This sport is obviously not for you. Go join a monotonous knitting club or something.

It's easy for the fans to say "stop whining" but on the court it is IMPOSSIBLE. Anyone that has even played a small sample of organized basketball knows this.

5. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Why should I go watch another sport?

All that whining's stopped.

6. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The referees collectivley have done a terrible job the last few seasons. These players are playing for big money, every win, every loss, every foul, and every point makes a difference. When the refs are determining the outcomes of games and giving players "superstar" calls" while swallowing their whistles with other players (Yao Ming) I'd be just as mad as Jackson.

These new rules only clarify what Tim Donaghy said, that the league is only about selling tickets.

7. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Absolutely I agree there are superstar calls.

But with this rule, even the Superstars can't whine to get more calls.

Remember in the past, Kobe used to keep begging for calls and eventually the ref starts giving him more calls?

No more of that BS. Now if Kobe opens his mouth to whine, he gets a T.

We're less than 10 games into the season and habitual whiners like Kobe, Dwight and Stephen Jackson have 2 technicals already...these crybabies are being told to STFU and play and I like it.

8. RedRedemption

This is the new generation of NBA fans? I am deeply depressed. Too bad we can't go back to the good old days of no technicals unless you actually clock someone in the face. Instead I'm going to be listening to 100 whistles a quarter. I came to watch fast-paced intense basketball, not a whistling match.

9. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

This is the new generation of NBA fans?

We try to reward whining instead of playing? In the old days, you don't complain to the refs, you get even.

Nowadays NBA fans want to sit and watch star players cry for fouls.

Sad.

10. RedRedemption

This. Right here. I'd against calling technicals and more about getting even. You're arguing with me when we're both calling for the same result both in different fashions of carrying them out.

11. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Then lets stop arguing. :grin:

12. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

The thing is, you're not talented enough to earn $10 million a year. You're whole thought process in these matters is watered down and out of touch with what someone in that position would actually be thinking. So comparing a corporate slave to an athlete is a moot point... there are hundreds of thousands of those, and only 400 or so NBA players.

Corporate sponsorships make professional sports possible, but you can't take away the personality of the players in the name of $$$. Thug or not, if white suburban kids are spending millions buying 50 cent CD's, they'll spend millions buying the NBA gear of a player who can perform on the court. America needs to quit looking outside the immediate family for role models.

13. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

What are you talking about? This isn't what the typical NBA player does. The typical NBA player is a professional.

Jackson is repeatedly fined because he is like you and thinks this isn't a job and you don't need to be a professional.

Whether you're making $100 million or $10,000, you have a job to do and you have rules to follow.

Who is taking away the personality of a player? This is about taking away the constant whining of a player like Stephen Jackson, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard.

Why should players be allowed to whine after every damn call?

Regular players need to accept calls by the officials, why should star players be allowed to whine and get away with it?

14. Honey Bear

Sorry Dilbert, try and relate all you want, but being an athlete and being a corporate professional are two very different things. You can buy into the media and believe they're one in the same, but that's your own issue for being naive.

Why should star players be allowed to whine? Why does your boss get the nicest parking spot at the office and the biggest bonus? Why is the sky blue? Why do lions hunt deer and not vice versa? Because that's the circle of life baby, and continuing to ask why, as an adult, means you're on the losing end of it.

These guys are talented, have a very unique skillset and work in a job that requires a lot of passion. You can't knock them for only seeing things one way, it's just how a competitive profession programs them. When was the last time Dikembe ever admitted he committed a foul?

15. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Sorry Jessica, but chicken of the sea isn't really a chicken. Only you and a small minority of NBA players doesn't realize this is a job and you have to be a professional.

Because HE makes the rules and you follow them. Thanks for making my point:grin:

Exactly, these idiots think they never commit a foul. I'm sick and tired of seeing all this whining.

If you say the NBA is taking away their personality by not allowing them to cry all the time. Good for the NBA!

Crying is for women and children. You want to cry, go cry at home.

Kobe with 2 techs in only 6 games. Soopar!

Dwight Howard with 2 techs in 6 games. Awesome!

Stephen Jackson with 2 techs in whatever games. Woohoo!

I'm glad all these babies aren't allowed to cry after every damn call anymore....I don't want to see more of this pathetic crying "personality".

16. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Ok let's put it in this perspective. Let's say your boss decides to not give you a raise even though you did a great job. You would think that it is unfair and that you deserve a raise. You can't tell me that you wouldn't complain about it. Just because your boss pays you doesn't mean that you wouldn't complain.

SJ can complain about it because he feels that the call was unjust. Just because he is getting paid millions does not mean he won't complain and be a "good boy." If something doesn't go your way, you will complain. It's human nature. By fining for "complaining" and "whining" about a call would take away an essential part of the game, Passion. Without passion, basketball would be like watching a bunch of robots dribbling around and shooting the basketball. With the new rules, it's no longer Kobe, D. Wade, or Lebron taking over. It's refs like Tony Brothers or Dick Bavetta taking over.

I don't know what world you live in but most NBA players or professional sport players are not a role model. Like Lebron said, "I'm not a role model." Their job is to win and entertain people, not being a role model. So stop fantasizing about all NBA players being a good boy/role model like Mr.Intangibles. If you want a role model, go look some place else.

17. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Sure I can and will complain about it. But I would complain about it once...not constantly like SJ does. What good does it do for basketball to have habitual whiners?

How is whining about passion for the game? This is just a bunch of people acting like babies. If my co-worker started crying every time something didn't go his way, I'd slap the b****.

Whining is against the rules; if you knowingly want to break the rules, don't cry about the penalty.

You're the only one looking for a role model. I'm looking for a professional.

We live in the same world. You see somebody like president Clinton and he gets his wang off. That smiling PR Rep of some big firm is probably an ass. Your local pastor might be a pedophile.

But in public, they have to be professional and do their job.

You aren't taking away from the game of basketball by stopping all the crying. You're just getting rid of all the crybabies.

18. Honey Bear

Your entire job is about following guidelines to the best of your ability. In a fashion that comes of as "corporate savvy". In the NBA, individual talent and skillsets transcend these basic rules and guidelines, and that's why these players get paid so much.

It's really quite simple; I think you have a hard time accepting that these guys aren't "just like me".

19. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

Lol, thanks for saying a whole lot of nothing.

This still doesn't tell me why the NBA should allow grown men to cry after every call.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Has Kobe been hit with a tech under the new rules yet? Cuz he might be the most demonstrative, flailing dude in the league.