1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Stein's presumptuous slap in the ROX face- LA-SA preview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nobrainer, Apr 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. nobrainer

nobrainer Member

Last time I checked, it was 3-1 in a very competitive series. With an upset on Wed, we could be right back in this and yet Stein is already doing an SA- LA series preview. I don't know about you but I think this is really disrespectful when the series isn't over yet.

article

America ... we have a series.

Almost had one, anyway.

2. nobrainer

nobrainer Member

The Houston Rockets invalidated that clichéd pronouncement Sunday afternoon, failing to hold onto a four-point lead late in overtime that could have evened the Rockets' first-round series with the Lakers at 2-2.

With L.A. up 3-1, then, it's inevitable that folks -- yeah, us -- will start examining the problems awaiting L.A. post-Houston.

That's because L.A., on top of all its injury fears and locker-room tensions, faces some biggies. Given how average they've looked for long stretches against the Rockets, and how thoroughly San Antonio broomed out the deep darlings from Memphis, the Lakers must already realize what they'll have to have to topple the Spurs.

That would be two studly performances in the same game at least four times.

That would be four combined detonations from a flowing Shaq and Kobe, basically.

The problem? In four games against inexperienced Houston, it has happened only once for the Lakers, and Shaquille O'Neal wasn't part of that breakthrough twosome: Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone finally formed a dominant tag team in Game 4. Shaq simply hasn't been the wrecking ball some of us -- yes, me -- were expecting, based mostly on the assumption that he'd be amped up earlier than ever in the playoffs after every preview in circulation focused on his forthcoming showdown in the pivot with Yao Ming.

Turns out L.A. doesn't need Shaq to disassemble Yao to advance comfortably to the second round. O'Neal can get away with coasting a bit against the Rockets to save energy for later, and Houston's unheralded defense -- good on Bryant as well as Shaq -- has to get some credit for limiting The Diesel's damage.

Just remember: In the next round, there won't be any room for conservation or rationalization. The Lakers have to have spurts of domination from Shaq against Tim Duncan, or else Phil Jackson will still be stuck on nine rings, sent home early by the Spurs again.

The Rockets have done it with a lot of trapping and help, but they've made Bryant work hard for his points, running various defenders at him to hound Kobe into 33.9-percent shooting for the series. No matter what happens next, Cuttino Mobley has clearly enhanced his reputation as a defender.

sorry- hit the wrong button - here's the rest of it.

If you're one of those folks who wishes the first round would revert to a best-of-five format, you ain't alone. Not when three of the eight first-round snoozes end in four-game sweeps anyway.

Last season, when best-of-seven was introduced for the first round, only one of the eight series ended in less than six games. This spring, sadly, only four matchups (Detroit vs. Milwaukee, Miami vs. New Orleans, Minnesota vs. Denver and Sacramento vs. Dallas) have a legitimate shot at lasting more than five games. It wouldn't be surprising, furthermore, if three of those -- all but Kings vs. Mavericks -- ended in five.

For the umpteenth time we say: Do not underestimate the Nets, at least in the East. New Jersey has now won 14 consecutive playoff

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Last night after the Spurs swept the Grizzlies, Cheryl Miller was interviewing Tim Duncan on the TNT post-game coverage. Miller asked a question that included Lakers/ Rockets in the initial context as possible 2nd Round Opponents, but then she was leading Duncan to comment on what is it going to be like to play the Lakers in the 2nd Round, like it was 100% a done deal.

The kicker was that Duncan did not give a second thought and the Spurs team leader seemed like he was giving the Rockets no chance whatsoever. Said something like the Lakers are going to be a tough challenge and we will be ready to face them blah blah blah......... No respect!!!

#3 ron413, Apr 26, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, both Kenny Smith and Charles were saying on the TNT pre-game show that this series is over already. Charles went even so far (when the showed the on screen schedule of the rest of the series) to complain about them having "if necessary" next to games 6 and 7. My liking of those two guys is starting to decrease. They bash the Rockets and I don't think they watch the games. Actually, I know they dont because when they showed the score on air right after the game was over (with some of the stats of some of the players from both teams), Charles said "Jimmy Jackson had 20 rebounds!?" If the Lakers win Wed. so be it, but the Rockets have been very competitive and very well should have won two of those games, so to automatically say this series is done as if Houston shouldn't even show up, is ludacris.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

if the Rox were the 2 ceed, with three rings in the past four years, and were up 3-1 on an inexperienced team (and coming back to Houston) , I am sure they would be saying the same thing

6. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

To be fair, they said during the games last night that teams who get up 3-1 in a series have won it 130-something ( or even higher?), and teams behind 3-1 have come back to win 7 times.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

What's to like about them? Kenny? Who would not have a ring and sit without Rockets. Yes, he contributed. But I never like ungrateful people. Look at Sam Casell, the way he talked about the Rockets. Barkley? Because of his semi-smart comments? I was so furious when Rockets got him and gave up Horry and Sam. He just did what Malone is doing now. But you know what, bangwaggon jumpers were, are, and will be never rewarded. Besides, they are just plain stupid people. Kissing a$$ never gets you anything, but if you have your principle, and show repect to others, even if they are weak in your eyes, that will win you respect. Barkley never had mine.

8. rocketsmetalspd

Lets be the number 8 team to do it, what the hell. Rockets should give it their best shot Wednesday and I still believe their will be a game 6 in Houston.

9. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I like the confedence, i also agree there will be a game 6 in houston.

10. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I love the Rox but I can't fault the media for already picking a winner. If this was the Rox of the mid-90's no way but there's no doubt about it we are at the edge and its not going to take much to say goodbye to this season.

Whether the Rox win or lose the next game this is about character. They need to show that they're not going to collapse even though all the media and the rest of the league expect them to.

If the Rox don't make it I'm rooting for the Spurs to beat the crap out of the Lakers. I've never like the Fakers and Malone's thuggery, biased reffing and even Phil Jackson interrupting JVG just makes me hate them more.
    :mad:

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

and dont forget who they were

clutchcity believe

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I liked how ABC showed that stat after the Rockets had erased the Lakers' 14 point lead and it was a 4 point game in the last minutes of regulation. Not sure why they'd be talking about stats on 3-1 teams when the game was very much up in the air.

Incidentally, I give the Lakers little chance against the Spurs. Their defense is as good as ours. If the Lakers can't score on us, they can't score on the Spurs. And, the Spurs offense is much better. I give the Lakers two wins at the most.

13. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

I actually love how all national media has already count us out in game 5. How sweeter it would be to steal 1 "sure game" in LA from them?

This is a perfect time to test our team's character, and I have a strong feeling that Rockets are going to play their best road game of the season on Wednesday night.

I cannot wait.

14. Major

Major Member

To be fair, they said during the games last night that teams who get up 3-1 in a series have won it 130-something ( or even higher?), and teams behind 3-1 have come back to win 7 times.

And most of the teams that did come back to win were the better-seeded teams. It's rare (the Rockets did it in '95 - that might be the only time it happened) to do it with games 5 & especially 7 on the road.

15. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Well history is all their on sides, but is on ours also, JVG was one of those 7 i think.

16. munco

munco Member

If we win on Wednesday, our chances of winning the series go up dramatically. The way we've played I would not count us out. We win Wednesday and then we're home for game 6. If it goes to game 7, anything can happen. Believe or root for the Fakers.

17. eyeagainst

eyeagainst Contributing Member

Spurs dont have to worry about the Lakers. By the time the Rocket-lakers series is done, they will be so exhausted and tired. We are working their asses out bad.

18. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

I don't think so - remember - this is playoffs - which rhymes with dayoffs - 3 night between game 2 and three - two nights between game 4 and 5....

Lackers won't be able to use fatigue as excuse.

19. montevideo

montevideo Contributing Member

IF the Lackers make it to the next round - remember Spurs still DON'T have an answer for Shaq and with Malone DRILLING j's they won't be able to drop over their PF. SOOOOOO don't be so quick to count them out against Spurs if they are able to close out Rockets which we have yet to see them do.

20. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

This is just funny. He think Oneil's coasting????

Shaq's tired like hell trying to play hard defensively for the first time in his career and he's not used to it.

This is bulletin board material for JVG. I would post the Barkley quotes, Kenny's quotes, duncan's quotes, and all articals that assumes the rockets are good as gone. Also quote Karla with his comments regarding Stevie being just a fly and and weaker than a 5 year old, etc. If he does that, we are going to win this game Wednesday.