1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Sportsnation Poll]Best center in NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scv_rockets, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tsunami

tsunami Member

Almost every time Yao torches Dwight when they play head to head. Swallow it! :rolleyes:

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

But you cant front Dwight and shut down Orlando, because he can catch a lob. :rolleyes:

3. houjianwen

houjianwen Member

DH THE BEST???? MAYBE 2 YEARS LATER

NOW YAO CAN OWN DH, WE KNOW

I CANT BELIEVE SO MANY PPL VOTE FOR DH

IF THEY VOTE DH FOR BEST DUNK , I AGREE

4. zoids

zoids Member

What result? Oh I get it, you are one of those ppl who never watch basketball games but to look at the game stats and interpret it your own way. Playing B-ball fantasy too much? LOL.

5. RocketsFan5354

Sorry, Yao is the BEST center in the NBA. The #1 center is Yao.

Yao pwned Dwight Howard pretty bad in their last match up. So you Dwight Howard fanboys, don't act like that never happened.

The better center is Yao and it's going to stay that way whether you like it or not. =)

6. RocketsFan5354

Totally agree!

Dwight Howard just can't handle Big Yao. Yao always outplayed Dwight Howard every single game they played against each other.

Yao #1

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Certainly Yao has outplayed DH heads-up. But heads up isn't always the only measure. DH's number are there, and they are terrific.

But look, it's close enough that who cares. If Yao shot 55% and got 13 rebs a game, maybe worked on his turnover issues, then I'd give him the heads up as the best center. But when DH is beating Yao handily in every statistical category except ft% you have to give it to DH.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Race Card: The media and A LOT of ex-players posing as sportswriters and analysts were not going to give Yao any credit no matter what he did/does. D. Howard has been a God-send for them because despite all of the "Shaq still dominates but he picks his spots" talk everyone knows that Shaq is a has been going on 3 seasons now. Unfortunately, they can't diss the Diesel and they surely can't say a lanky Chinese dude is currently a better Center.

Instead of giving Yao some credit they focus on what he can't do and how watered down the center position is in order to negate anything great he does in the future. The lack of respect he gets in the media has been obvious for a while but now that Dwight Howard puts together an impressive 1/3 season they can all breathe easy knowing that they can pass the the Best Center title to another black man.

9. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I want Yao to be recognized as the best center in the post season. Being considered as the best center in the NBA is nice but I want playoff series wins.

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

So what? Yao beats Dwight every time they play face to face. How can a so called "best center" loses to the "2nd best center" every time they meet. Yeah the fact hurts haters, but once again, swallow it.

11. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Yeah, actually, I was thinking of him when I was writing that reply. LOL

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

15% sigh. No respect. :rolleyes:

I know Yao is #1. We know.

13. tsunami

tsunami Member

Haters disagree, ya know....

14. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

Yeah, I think you are right about this. If people take the stats as the ONLY criteria to measure who is the best center, you are right. I just have a different view of the criteria. You got many variables which wont show up by the stats and can be one of those criteria.

Meanwhile, the best center might need to dominate other's centers in the league, right?

So, I still believe that Yao is the best center (to be honest, Howard does impress me a lot, but I havent seen him as a leader yet. His lack of experience is another resistence of being recognized by me as a best center.)

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

One day they will sing his of his accomplisments in the long line of great houston centers.

So it shall be.

16. ibm

ibm Member

best center in the league? yao, hands down.

in the future it may change. but now it's not even close. not even close, not as close as many would suggest. me reckoning it's gonna be another 2 years for howard to be at par with yao. and imo bynum might have more potential than howard. we'll see...

but one thing is always clear - when you're the best center in the game, you'd never ever need to front an opposing center, or need someone else to help you doubling the opposing center.

17. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Dont know about that. DH's rebounding numbers are pretty, but it doesnt make Magics one of the better rebounding team in the league, in fact, they got owned by the Rockets on rebounding.

Yao is a good rebounder, but more than just rebounding, he protects the glass so his teammates can get an eazy rebound. When he is really trying to get a rebound, eg. the magics game, he grabbed 19.

18. howe070523

howe070523 Member

Exactly. Some of fans here are pathetic. They look at the box score and start licking stats stuffer's balls. Yao owned DW in their head2head matchups but I guess thats not enough for haters to get off DW's nuts.

My advice, keep licking until your tongue turns blue.

19. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

In some game he was fronted and he played poorly. It was a game about 3-4 weeks ago. Can't remember which one now.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

what did the guy mimicking scola's voice say? it was around the 7:33 mark.