1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Sportsnation Poll]Best center in NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by scv_rockets, Jan 11, 2008.

1. scv_rockets

scv_rockets Member

Just saw this on ESPN and Yao is currently ranked third in their "Best centers in the NBA under the age of 28" poll. Dwight Howard has a commanding lead so far with Amare Stoudamire in second place. Go vote for Yao!

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nba/index
    (Poll is located in the lower right hand corner.)

2. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

So much for the chinese vote.

personally I think its kinda sad that a center that cant hit a shot consistently from 10 feet out would be considered the best.

3. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

seeing how yao owned howard last time we played em

nothign else must be said :p

4. RocketsFan5354

Yao just owned Dwight Howard easily. It's sad how many closet racist haters are out there.

5. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Right now I care about Landry's future on this team a lot more than how the idiots rank Yao.

6. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i personally think it's kinda sad that a center takes most of his shots 10 feet out. a center is supposed to be able to get in 10 feet of the hoop unless he can hit from 10 feet out at a as high clip.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao scores both inside and out....you can't complain about that.

Howard scored more in the paint ala shaq, but hand it to him, his numbers are better than Yao's across the board except for ft%.

Who's the better center? Probably Howard. Yeah you'd pick him over Yao probably.

But we have Yao, and Orlando has Howard. And I'm happy with having the second best center in the game.

8. tsunami

tsunami Member

Skill wise, it's a joke to rank Howard as the best center.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

As anyone really surprised at the results?

Come on, ESPN drives this type of vote because how much they ride on Howard's and Amare's jocks. Especially Dwight right now who they hype as the second-coming of Shaq.

-------------------------------------

All three guys could have the exact same stat line, let's say 32 pts., 14 rebs., 3 blks., SportsCenter will inevitably go like this...

Highlight package 1 (Magic): 3-5 highlights of Howard dunking, including an alleyoop slam and 2 highlights of a couple of blocked shots. Stewart Scott - "Dwight Howard is a "man-child", a beast!!!!!!

Highlight package 2 (Suns): 2-3 highlights of Amare dunking emphatically and 1 highlight of him blockinig a shot. Stewart Scott - "Amare dominating the paint!!!!! The man is just plain sick!!!!!!"

Highlight package 3 (Rockest): 1 highlight of Yao making a jump hook, another of a fade away jumper. Another highlight of an opposing player laying it up around or over Yao. Stewart Scott - "Yao hits the hook. TMac leads Rockets to the win."

-------------------------------------

The vote is the result of thousands of average NBA fans who base their complete opinion of most NBA players on what the see and hear in 10 second viseo clips on the worst place to watch such a thing.

10. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

personally I think its kinda sad that a center that cant hit a shot consistently from 16 feet out would be considered the best

personally I think its kinda sad that a center that cant hit a shot consistently from 3-point line would be considered the best

personally I think its kinda sad that a center that cant be acting like a PG consistently would be considered the best

LOL

5 wins in a roll & Two time dominance seem meaningless for some of us, and, definitely , Magic funs. :)

11. BucMan55

Nobody tried to claim Mehmet Okur was the best. :D

12. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Not everyone is into NBA basketball that much.
    When the average sports fans watch ESPN, the only thing they see are powerful dunks from Dwight Howard, thats why they think the best center is DH12.

13. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Last time I checked Howard plays in the Leastern Conference, can't guard Yao mono on mono, has been outplayed by Yao almost every single time in his career, and also doesn't play alongside a star guard who many have questioned as having a vagina. :)

14. zoids

zoids Member

It's called multi-talented, something stupid ppl probably will never understand. :p

15. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

Why is Amare ahead of Yao he isn't a real center and he sux :rolleyes:

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Dwight Coward is a joke compared to Yao.

17. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

I don't care bout who is more talented I care about results. Dwight is better than Yao at finishing, easy buckets, and rebounding. I'm being straight up Yao is an average rebounder compared to dwight. I would take dwight over Yao. Very close

18. BucMan55

He plays the 5 for Phoenix. Why wouldnt he be considered a C??

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

And production-wise?

20. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

stat is important, but not everything

yao have been outplay big name center time and time, that tells a lot

DH is good, is watchable, but he gets the good stat , expecailly on rebounding, because they don't have PF, so this team has huge weakness when DH into the foul trubles.

now guess what espn, seems forget about DH, and it turns to Laker's Bynum, who just got a couple good games. maybe a few days later, we can read ESPN print out Bynum is best center