1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Sources: New trade offer in works (for Dwight Howard)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Possum

Possum Member

So you believe Howard will turn his nose up to 30 million dollars to play with someone else?

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

well, its been rumored that Adidas would offer something north of $200 Mil if he played in Brooklyn..could work out for him

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Where else will he like better than Houston? He's not going to Brooklyn no matter what. They made sure of that with their moves this offseason.

LA? I really don't think he wants to play in Kobe's shadow, and he can't get there unless we SnT him there anyway. Anyway, we wouldn't SnT him to LA without getting back Bynum, so trading for Dwight is kind of a win-win in this scenario.

Dallas? Dirk is over the hill, their team is mediocre, and the market is almost the same as here.

Atlanta? Dwight already said he doesn't want to play there. Josh Smith is their only really good player besides Horford (who plays same position as Dwight), and Smith about to bolt too, he's been asking for a trade for ages and is a free agent after this year.

All the teams with cap space suck & don't have any market advantages over Houston. Playing in Houston he gets $30M more plus no state income tax. Money talks, man. He's going to want to be here.

4. liveguy

liveguy Member

Lol!!!!

5. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I've read this too. The problem I have with it is that without stating how much Adidas would pay him if he played in Houston, it's a meaningless statement. What if they'd pay him $190 Mil if he played in Houston, the 4th largest market in the NBA? What if it's $170 Mil? What if it's $210 Mil? Do you see my point?

It's also meaningless if he can't play for Brooklyn with his next contract, which is what appears to be developing. Because then we'd need to know what the second biggest contract he'd get with Adidas and for which NBA city.

We don't know any of that. Which makes that information kind of useless to us.

6. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

TMAC and Lowry are both Addidas players, and they played just fine here

7. AFS

AFS Member

I thought Lowry is a Peak player? I've also seen him wear Kobe's during games so I don't think he's an adidas guy.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Great post!

Too bad we don't have negative rep.

9. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I agree...i was just stirring up the pot, regurgitating crap I heard on here. I was just giving one plausible option for how he could possibly sign with Brooklyn (thereby taking less money) but make it up because of the dumps of dollars he'd get by playing in NY medialand... >shrugs<

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Ping is an idiot.

A Houston smokescreen would only be used to get LAL to up thier offer, which they can't do because they have nothing else to offer.

11. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

You must not be fully aware of how bad our team is right now:confused:

12. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Its starting to become obvious that no source or media outlet knows what going on besides Morey, Les, and the Magic front office, and Henningan

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

can somebody tell me who were actually trading to get howard

14. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

No.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not just talking about our talent level, I'm also referring to the financial situation and market he'd be playing in.

But seriously, go look at the other teams he could sign with. They're pretty terrible too. How good is Atlanta going to be without Joe Johnson? Dallas with a 35 year old Nowitzki? Where else he gonna go, Charlotte?

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

This thread can be closed.

Now we have DMo! :grin:

17. Convictedstupid

I agree but for different reasons.

This trade scenario proposed in the article is just ludicrous.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not close to a trade with Houston

Friday came and went, and just like all the other days that have passed since June 24, 2004, Dwight Howard was still a member of the Orlando Magic.

Despite the Houston Rockets using the amnesty provision to waive forward Luis Scola, there was no trade of Howard from Orlando to Houston, and sources briefed on the talks between the two sides said the teams weren’t nearly as close to a trade as many have speculated. That can change in an instant, of course, but late Friday, there was no deal.

Talks between the two sides are “not active,” one source said Friday.

“There’s nothing happening,” another source said.

The Rockets, according to a league source briefed on the discussions, are willing to take one bad contract back from the Magic, not two or three, as has been speculated. And in return, Houston will give up one of the their three first-round picks in last month’s Draft– Jeremy Lamb, Royce White or Terrence Jones –but only one.

The Rockets would be willing to send a future draft pick to Orlando –presumably the Lottery-protected first-rounder Houston received this week from Toronto for guard Kyle Lowry — and send a veteran player to the Magic, helping Orlando clear $10 to $15 million worth of cap room, in exchange for the six-time All-Star and three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

Orlando has several high-priced contracts it would like to clear if it opts to trade Howard, including forward Hedo Turkoglu (two years, $23.4 million remaining, though the last year of the deal is not fully guaranteed) and guards Jason Richardson (three years, $18.6 million) and Chris Duhon (two years, $7.2 million).

Waiving Scola, who was due $20.6 million over the next three seasons, was not done just to give Houston a better shot at Howard, according to the source. With the Rockets in full pursuit of Howard, however, keeping a high-priced player like Scola on the roster didn’t make much sense going forward — especially if Houston isn’t successful in getting Howard.

By cutting Scola now, the Rockets will be able to take a big contract back at any point this season if it suits their rebuilding plans. After spending the last three years trapped in NBA mediocrity following the injuries to and eventual retirement of franchise center Yao Ming, the Rockets are determined to land a star or construct a roster of players with the potential to become stars.

To that end, the Rockets officially tendered a three-year, $25.1 million offer sheet on Friday to Knicks restricted free agent Jeremy Lin. The Rockets reworked their deal from the original offer they had negotiated with Lin, eliminating a year of the offer but raising Lin’s third-year salary up to $14.898 million, in an attempt to make the offer sheet as difficult as possible for New York to match.

League sources continue to indicate that the Knicks will match, however, feeling Lin’s potential both as a player and as someone whose marketability is unlimited are too important to pass up. But with a roster that currently only has veterans Toney Douglas and Shaun Livingston as point guards, Houston felt it had to do whatever it could to get Lin.

The Rockets are still expected to tender a similar three-year, $25 million offer sheet to Bulls reserve center Omer Asik.

Meanwhile, Orlando continues to take a methodical approach toward dealing Howard, who has indicated the only team with whom he’d be willing to sign a contract extension after this season is Brooklyn. Howard has been adamant that he would not re-sign in Houston if traded there.

However, the Rockets remain convinced they can change his mind once he gets to town. He has a strong relationship with Rockets legend and Hall of Fame center Hakeem Olajuwon, who told FoxSportsFlorida Friday night that he’d been asked to reach out to Howard if and when a trade is made.

Orlando is determined trade Howard on its own timetable, when it gets the combination of picks and young players it wants. The Magic, who are still looking to hire a new coach and just hired new general manager Rob Hennigan late last month, may be trying to replicate the formula used by the Nuggets in 2011, when Denver held onto forward Carmelo Anthony for months and months until the Knicks offered a package featuring Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler and Timofey Mozgov for a Denver package featuring Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

Orlando is continuing to talk to other teams, including the Lakers. But after sending two future firsts and two seconds to the Suns in the sign and trade deal for Steve Nash, Los Angeles is out of Draft picks to offer in the near future. The Nets are out of the picture for the foreseeable future after re-signing center Brook Lopez, who was supposed to be the centerpiece of any offer to Orlando for Howard, to a four-year, $60.8 million deal earlier this week. Under league rules Brooklyn cannot trade Lopez until Jan. 15.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

"Not close", but closer than anybody else in the NBA, and that's all that matters.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

So many conflicting reports ughh