1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Says Houston & Dallas Could Go After LeBron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nodstonothing, May 17, 2010.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

2. monster

monster Member

You guys are nuts if you think we could get Lebron eithout giving up some of our best players.

It's fun to fantasize.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While clearly you would do basically anything to get a Lebron, are the Rockets really instant championship favorites with Lebron? Contenders...sure, but even then, still a tough West to go through....

...made tougher by the fact that getting Lebron does nothing to address your main and most important area of concern = frontcourt.

This is why, Lebron or no Lebron, Yao is the most important piece of the Rockets hopes. Can he come back strong, and stay healthy, while contributing in the playoffs?

Basically, what I'm saying, even if you keep Yao, if you lose Scola, Hill, Martin, draft picks plus to acquire Lebron, short of Yao coming back dominant (especially on the defensive end), are the Rockets really that much better than the Cavs were this year? Theoretically better on paper, I think, but when you have to go through the likes of the Lakers, Celtics or Magic, always strong Jazz, always strong Spurs, etc, etc....hey, I'm just saying its tough.

Given two scenarios, where in one you sign and trade for Bosh and in the other you sign and trade for Lebron, to me, honestly, the deciding factor is what package of players you are giving up in return. Could you give up less for Bosh and/or less that is hard to replace. that is to say, even if you do give up a Scola in a Bosh deal, you've replaced Scola with an all-star version of himself. Whereas if you give up a Scola in a Lebron deal, you have no one to replace Scola (and likely very few assets to use to find another way to replace him).

As important as Kobe is, and Lebron is, and Paul Pierce is, etc, etc. - NBA championships have been won for the pat 10+ years with strong strong strong frontcourt play. The Celtics with KG and Perkins clogging up the middle. The Pistons with Sheed and Wallace. The Spurs. The Lakers went from Kobe first round exits to Kobe championship. Clearly, Kobe is the most important piece of that Lakers team, but they don't get there without the frontcourt help.

Heck, even MJ's Bulls had freaking awesome solid frontcourt play.

Lebron + oft-injured Yao + Chuck Hayes and David Andersen frontcourt would have similar issues as Lebron + old Shaq + average Varejo + sad Jamison had.

My point exactly. This team is not a championship caliber team.

This is the opposite scenario, which anyone and everyone would jump in. You get Lebron without giving up your best players. I just find it highly unlikely this is even close to realistic. That said, I guess future salary relief is better than nothing (and maybe even doubly better than nothing and Lebron outright signing with, say, the Bulls)...but still the Rockets would have to include some real assets, and it would all hinge on Lebron saying this is where he's going.

I don't know what we'd have to give up to get Bosh either, though.

4. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

because the Cavs have a Chinese shareholder now

5. amaru

amaru Member

I can't believe that this thread made it to 6 pages.

There is no way that Lebron is interested in Houston. NO WAY.

Why would He be? Whatever the hell y'all are smoking y'all need to detox.

There is a better chance that McGrady will start playing like T-Mac again than LeBron signing with the Rockets.

6. toby

toby Member

ugh. can you imagine if dallas got him . . .

7. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

ditto

8. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN...PERIOD.

9. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Guys, ESPN is known as BSPN

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

To be clear, by posting in this thread I was not endorsing Lebron fantasies. He's East bound.

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

People here so negative, when there is a thread about a player joining the rockets there like "his too fat", "his too old", "his to of a injury prone" and when there is player like lebron james there like "in your dreams", "will never happen". C'mon guys lets be positive.

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

If ESPN said it, it must be true. These guys get freakin' paid to report the obvious. Have they ever actually broken a story? Yahoo! sports seems like a better source for information on the down low.

In other news, I'll go ahead and report that 28 other NBA teams have extremely high interest in Lebron James. Now where the hell is my salary?

13. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

We got better chance landing top 3 pick then getting LeBron James (maybe when he's 40).

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They won't have a shot in hell. Their best offer is Dampier, Butler, and two picks at the bottom of the first rd.

Our best offer would probably be
    Martin, Ariza, Hill, Taylor, Lull rights, #14 pick, right to swap with Knick's 2011 pick. You could even add in a side deal of Battier or Jeffries for their salary regret of choice (Jamison, Varejao, other) if desperate. If there's a bidding war, it would be tough for another team to top that. (but yes, it would strip our team to the point that we would possibly be worse off for it).

Yao-Andersen
    Scola-Hayes
    LeBron-Chase-Battier
    (MLE addition) - (LLE/vet min addition)
    Brooks - Lowry

All that said, I don't see us having a serious chance at James.

#114 emjohn, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'm guessing you married right out of high school, and are still with the only woman you ever wanted.

Dude, sure you tell Chris Bosh that! But even Chris Bosh's mother would understand that you were whispering sweet nothings in LBJ's ear the whole time, if you had a chance!

16. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Knicks Pick (Basically top 5 guaranteed) + Knicks Swap (Top 5 guaranteed again) + 2010 #14 + Ariza + Budinger + Brooks + Hill + Jeffries EC.

Cavs get Brooks + Bud + Ariza + Hill + 3 lotto pick (two of them having potential to be top 5 picks). Knowing how much Knicks will suck without LeBron, this should be a no brainer.

17. raining threes

Sweet dreams

Possible but James is going to NY.

18. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'd hesitate to do that, if I were the Rox. With a healthy Yao, it would take 2 years to rebuild the supporting cast enough to take a shot at the title. And, if Yao gets hurt, we'd be a .500 team.

Yao/Andersen
    Scola/Hayes
    Lebron/Battier
    Martin/Bud/JTaylor
    Lowry

Plus the MLE to sign another PG (Hey, this could work if Llull comes...), and a couple of guys at the vets' minimum. Not so much left with which to trade.

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Espn posturing makes a 6 page thread? Gimme a break.

20. IndoRockets

IndoRockets Member

Lol, if we get lebron using the assets we got from NY. It will sucked for NY