1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Says Houston & Dallas Could Go After LeBron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nodstonothing, May 17, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. But only if Cleveland is willing to play ball and do a sign-and-trade.

Remember that, unlike Toronto's relative "in-flux" cap situation, the Cavs would expect to have a TON of cap room if Lebron walks, since Shaq (he of the $20M salary) is also coming off the books this summer.

There is a strong possibility that if Lebron truly was ready to leave Cleveland and definitely did not want to return, the Cavs would just let him walk and leave $30M on the table. Keep in mind that the $30M is some of the only leverage that Cleveland has to make it the best destination for LBJ.

With the massive cap room they expect to have (especially in 2011 if they sit this summer out), there is little incentive for Cleveland to want to take back salary in a sign-and-trade and to reward what many Cavs fans would consider a "traitor".

That said, if anyone could offer Cleveland something that allows the Cavs to maintain cap flexibility AND get Lebron out of the East, it's the Mavericks. A package of Erick Dampier's non-guaranteed contract, Roddy Beaubois and a couple of first round picks would probably be more enticing than just about any package the Rockets can put together. This is NOT a knock on the Rockets. It's just that Dampier's contract is the perfect fit with a team like the Cavs, who would need to completely rebuild without Lebron and want the cap flexibility and a nice prospect in Beaubois.

In the end, though, I think Cleveland will either re-sign Lebron or tell him to take a hike (to say it nicely).

Uh . . . the Rockets already made a move to get "their Allen". His name is Kevin Martin. Morey has repeatedly said that fans need to look at the Martin acquisition as "an early offseason move".

Of course, Bosh could be "their KG".

2. mario713

mario713 Rookie

quick errbody start tweeting him, n let him kno that h-town should be his next home court.

3. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Cavs value will drop close to $100 million if they lose Lebron, if Rockets were to acquire him, how much do you think the rockets value increase by???

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

You'd have a SOPHOMORE in college at your starting SG position.. and a small back up C. You need a back up C with at least a height of 6'10" or higher and a rookie starting SG who only played his freshman year in college would not bode well. The team has no depth beyond Scola.

5. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Would it be a possibility to get both Bosh and Lebron.. of course Yao would be part of the S&T.

6. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

whats with all the absolutes?

this is all conjecture, nobody knows what lebrons gonna do maybe not even lebron at this point. im just as sick of the espn dick riding as the next guy but the fact remains that this is going to be a historical summer for free agency as far as the NBA goes with lebron being the centerpiece (in my opinion). houston is a viable option for lebron, but only if yao is retained. even still, its a very, very small percentage but theres a chance...if im the rockets management im going after him before bosh just out of the sheer possibility of getting the best player in basketball entering his prime. i know a lot of people would disagree, but i think theres a very small chance it coudl happen...of course if im the milwaukee bucks im not thinking twice about lebron, but i think we have certain things going for us that makes it worth a shot (however long of a shot it may be)

7. A00man

A00man Member

Chicago is not proven, yet Yao is...? What in the f'n hell has YAO done to make himself "proven?" Sit on his ass with injuries the past 5 years?!?!

8. blink

blink Contributing Member

YOFs, they make you laugh and angry at the same time :eek:

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think you just stated the case AGAINST you pretty well.

While the Rockets would be stupid not to explore Lebron as a free agent option (and the team is most definitely doing so), I believe that one of the competitive advantages that the Rockets have in the Bosh sweepstakes is that they will be one of the only teams telling Bosh, "YOU are our #1 priority. Not Lebron. Not Wade. You, Chris."

Most of Bosh's other primary suitors (most notably, Miami and Chicago) will be going hard after Lebron and Wade before turning their full attention to Bosh. For them, Bosh is a consolation prize. I believe that Morey will take advantage of this fact and play it up as much as possible with Bosh come July 1.

Lebron is a nice fantasy to have. One so great that doing their due diligence on the subject is well worth it. But Bosh is a distinct possibility (I'd say that the Rockets are in the top 5 teams most likely to get him, if I had to guess), and Morey is going to do (almost) whatever it takes to get him.

1 person likes this.
  10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got your message. My sig is now just Clutch's great quote :p

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If its a sign and trade that is going to happen then I don't know if many teams can match the talent that Rockets can trade.

Lebron will have to pick a team and the Rockets have the right mix of talent to trade some and still be a contender.

12. Shaud

Shaud Member

Mercy smh

13. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

why does lebron not like houston? and what makes his hometown of cleveland any better?????

14. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

Sorry about all that, my life has been real tough lately. I promise I am not that kind of person. :)

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Probably pissed about Delonte sexing his mom up.

16. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I recognize Lebron as one of the best players but man the hype with this guy is unreal. Do you make the trade and send Yao packing yes but Lebron is not MJ/Wilt Chamberlain wrapped in one.

If hype counted pencil in LBJ for Finals MVP every year and just give him the trophy as well.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

First off, I think there is no way in hell LeBron chooses to come to Houston. Now if he did somehow decide to come, I think our only chance of landing him would be to offer the Cavs additional future salary relief. Not counting LeBron, the Cavs have $50M on the books next year, and $39M on the books (on just 5 players) the following season. Supposedely, the franchise will take a huge financial hit if LeBron leaves. If we take on LeBron and Jamison ($30M on the books), then that will get the Cavs some young talent to build around next season and drop their payroll to $24 the following summer. They will have $50M on the books next year no matter what, for a crap team (no LeBron or Shaq). I'm using hoopshype salary figures.....unsure how accurate they are:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

A package of Battier (expiring), Jeffries (expiring), Hill, Anderson (team option after this season). Hayes (team option), Taylor and Chase gets you to $23M. I'm no cap expert so I don't know if you can include cash to match the rest, or how close this would be to an exact number, but it would get you in the ballpark. Add in every available draft pick in the book and you may have a shot with this team:

C - Yao
    PF - Scola/Jamison
    SF - LeBron/Ariza
    SG - Martin
    PG - Brooks/Lowry

You still have the MLE left to fill voids from ring chasers. But Les would be paying out the wazoo. That's $67M of salary, which doesn't even include the new salaries for Scola and Lowry.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

NEVER underestimate daryl morey! he could pull off an 8 team mega-deal if anyone could!

:cool:

19. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Cleveland is a small market, they are not going to attract top FAs even they have cap room. I think they would rather have some top picks and semi stars like Martin. They do not have to take back 'salary', they can take back real players from us.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Not happening. Rockets don't even have an all-star to offer.