1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Rumor: Yao to Retire in 2010.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by matty101, Feb 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. matty101

matty101 Member

On the ESPN NBA page it states that yao plans to retire in 2010. I am not an insider however and cannot read the article. If anyone with ESPN insider can clarify this, that would be great.

Again, I am not stirring trouble, its just what it says on the ESPN NBA home page so dont shoot the messenger please. Its just a heads up!

If an insider could post the actual article, that might clear things up.

If im a bit late and its been posted then please lock.

matty101

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

can we ban espn? geez they are horrible

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Interesting but it's a RUMOR.

4. boby

boby Member

Yes you are too late in the game. Lock this thread, please.

5. jinyaotmac

jinyaotmac Member

:eek: Yao to retire??? no~~~

Yao , I want you to be 1st azn who wears a NBA ring as rockets center. try first!

6. ibm

ibm Member

already discussed in another thread.

worthless rumor and typical bspn.

end of discussion.

7. matty101

matty101 Member

I never said it wasnt, in fact, i stated it was a rumor in the title...

8. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/57214/20090213/yao_rockets_want_to_stay_together/

Yao, Rockets Want To Stay Together

Feb 13, 2009 8:40 AM EST

Yao Ming is expected to become a free agent in the famed summer of 2010, but both the center and the Rockets are looking to keep their relationship going.

"Obviously, we are focused on keeping Yao in Houston long term," general manager Daryl Morey said. "He is an elite center and we expect him to play an integral part in this team's future success. We plan to continue building our roster around him."

Yao will be 30 after the 2009-10 season.

"I've played for this team for seven years," Yao said. "It's hard to just drop it and switch to another one and start over. I want a full career and I feel like the Rockets are like home. Why change?"

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

There's your clear answer.

10. keeyanballa08

keeyanballa08 Member

11. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

12. nait

nait Member

He actually said it, jockingly, that he will retire by 2010 when he had to answer the same question 100 times in two days.

13. Kracka0476

Kracka0476 Member

Ya ok.........and Yao is going to retire and forgo the millions upon millions of dollars he would receive plus any marketing money. Sounds like typical ESPN bull****.

14. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I posted the article for the lazy people who didn't want to click the link, like me!! :D

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Why does espn always try to stir shat up with players? They clearly take statements out of context and put their own spin on it. What a bunch of garbage.

16. ibm

ibm Member

now that everyone is clear that it is a rumor, a more interesting question is, will mcgrady retire in 2010?

sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yao and T-Mac can retire together and by 2010 we can sign Wade and Bosh.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

he was beaten to it.

19. puffmiao

puffmiao Member

Here is the article:

When asked about 2010, Yao Ming, 28, initially joked about his plans, saying he looked forward only to "an off summer, to not play any basketball."

When asked if he would opt out, he said, "I will retire."

He did finally offer that he would like to play his entire career only with the Rockets. But he did maintain the out that he would remain with the Rockets if he believes the team can contend for a championship.

"I've played for this team for seven years," Yao said. "It's hard to just drop it and switch to another one and start over. I want a full career and I feel like the Rockets are like home. Why change?"

"About 2010, that's when I am 30 years old," Yao said. "I tell you what happened when my parents are 30 years old. When my dad was 30 years old, he was already two years after he retired and I was already 1 year old. And my mom was coaching when she was 30 years old." -- Houston Chronicle