1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ESPN - Rumor Central--Rox

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

ESPN Insider-Rumor Central--Rox

WHO Juwan Howard -- Houston

INTERESTED

Trail Blazers?
    Knicks?

THE SKINNY

Feb. 10 - The Rockets are trying hard to move either Howard or Maurice Taylor, two players they feel are too much alike, league sources told Insider. Ideally, the Rockets would like to get a mobile, shot-blocking, rebounding big man in the mold of Kelvin Cato.

Cato, for all of his faults, was able to protect Yao Ming on the defensive end. Howard and Taylor are not doing that.

The Rockets have talked to a number of teams about deals. The most serious appears to be with the Knicks. The Rockets have been trying to pry Kurt Thomas out of New York. According to source, the Knicks are only willing to give up Jerome Williams at this point.

The Rockets did discuss a Taylor-for-Derek Anderson swap, as ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported last week. However, that deal was contingent on the Blazers finding a trading partner for Shareef Abdur-Rahim first. If the Blazers find a deal for Abdur-Rahim (according to sources they are trying to find a top-level shooting guard in return), then they would have some interest in Taylor as a backup to Zach Randolph.

And poor Stevie....

WHO Steve Francis -- Orlando

INTERESTED
    Nuggets?

THE SKINNY
    Feb. 10 - Magic GM John Weisbrod is a no-nonsense guy who has been frustrated with his team's lackluster play since he traded Cuttino Mobley to the Kings for Doug Christie last month.

Sources tell ESPN Insider Chad Ford that Weisbrod feels Francis hasn't been the same since the trade and might not be the guy to lead the team long term. He's been especially frustrated with how poorly the team is playing on defense.

If things don't get better, two things could happen One, the team could attempt to trade Francis for a more traditional point guard. Or two, the team could let head coach Johnny Davis go and bring in a coach who could better control Francis.

Last month, the Magic declined a Nuggets' offer of Andre Miller, Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Voshon Lenard in exchange for Francis.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I hope they keep Howard and get rid of MoT.

Kurt Thomas would of been a nice asset to this squad.

Jerome Williams, don't see it.

Damn, Francis is getting screwed everywhere he goes.

3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'd trade either of our two PFs for Thomas in a second. I'd even through in our first round pick this summer. That being said, I'd be surprised if Isiah is looking at either of our two David Falk-represented PFs.

4. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Howard for Kurt Thomas sounds good to me. Anyone know how long and how big Thomas's contract is.

5. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I think I heard that Howard is a leader in the club house (I think it was the Tmac radio interview) - Mo T is a distraction

if they are move Mo for Williams - I am fine with that

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

How about getting rid of both JH and Mo?

I will even do a JH + first round for KT at this stage.

7. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Houston trades: PF Juwan Howard (8.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.9 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +2.5 ppg, +4.8 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

New York trades: C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.9 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Juwan Howard (8.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -2.5 ppg, -4.8 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out unless trade exceptions were used for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

They both have 4 more years remaing on there LONGG contracts. Pretty much both of them are getting payed the same amount so I'd pull the trigger on the trade. I'v allways like Kurt Thomas!

8. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Thomas' contract is just as long as Howard's and just a tad less. If we trade for Kurt, it would have to be Juwon in the swap, otherwise we would be left with two PFs on the wrong side of 30 with long deals. Basically, a swap of Howard for Thomas, is even contract-wise, but just gets us a little better fit.

9. daRox

daRox Member

trade MoT. Don't break the team's chemistry.

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Thanks for the info and the post Gator...I'm kinda hesistant to trade Howard...probably for the reasons of the recent Rockets good play and the efforts he puts forth...arg...I wish MoT was the principal prospect to be traded.

11. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

what is Jerome Williams contract like? if it is shorter than Mos, I wouldnt mind swapping for that either

12. droxford

droxford Member

I would think that we would place higher priority on the point guard position.

-- droxford

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

MoT for Jerome Williams.

Sign me up.

Jerome has always been one of my top 5 favorite players in the league. He outhustles most anyone, and the few times he was able to start for a team, he averaged 10+rpg.

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

trade them both if you have to - Howard is the only one that I can't get used to in a rockets uni

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    PF Juwan Howard (8.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    Houston receives: C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.9 minutes)
    PF Jerome Williams (4.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 16.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -0.6 ppg, +4.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

New York trades: C Kurt Thomas (11.4 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 36.9 minutes)
    PF Jerome Williams (4.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 16.5 minutes)
    New York receives: PF Maurice Taylor (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    PF Juwan Howard (8.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 24.9 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +0.6 ppg, -4.2 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and New York being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and New York had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

15. MykTek

MykTek Member

how about bring stevie back.... MoT, Spoon, 2 # 1's(05,07) for SF and Augmon ....realgm says it works...hehehe....but it's just wishful thinking...

MoT + 1st(05) + 2 2nd(06, 07) for KT + 1st(06) i'd do......Howard I don't want to get rid of, b/c he seems more of a team player....

16. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My guess is the thinking is bringing in a new full-time PG would cause more growing pains at this point in the season. If you bring in a backup, is he really gonna contribute more than say Jon Barry? That's why Derek Anderson, who actually is somewhat similar to Sura in that he's more of a pseudo PG than an actual one, but also can contribute spelling TMac, is probably being thrown around.

I'm not a big Kurt Thomas fan...but when I watch this team, I find myself thinking "if only we had a physical rebounder/defender to pair with Yao that can still bury teams with open mid range jumpers like Juwan". That's Kurt Thomas in a nutshell.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

we need to keep howard. he is better in the offense and clubhouse. plus howard's contract really isn't that bad.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

His contract IS that bad. It runs through 2009. Then again, if Kurt Thomas' does as well, it's probably not worth disrupting team chemistry with another trade.

Mo Taylor would be the best player to move since he's contributing nothing right now. That can only improve the team and the chemistry.

19. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

There is no way the Knicks would trade us Kurt Thomas straight up for Juwan Howard.

20. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Well, both rumors regard both of our PFs going to different teams... Maybe we give up JH + ? for KT AND MoT + ? for DA... Wow, what a team that would be!!! And its not that unrealistic! Check it out:

Yao, Deke
    KT, Padgett, Spoon
    T-Mac, DA, Bowen
    Wesley, DA, Barry
    Sura, Strickland, Barry, Barrett

P.S. How did we let another Texas product in KT slip through our hands on draft day?!?