1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rox may pursue Avery Johnson in offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by droxford, Jan 8, 2004.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Please close this thread if it's already been posted...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1702532

Giving up Johnson in the Antawn Jamison trade -- Golden State insisted on Avery because it was desperate to get Chris Mills out of town -- also means the Mavericks no longer have their preferred successor to Nellie on the payroll.

Cuban remains interested in grooming Avery as the Mavs' next head coach, with the idea that he would serve as a full-time assistant first to learn what he needs to learn from Nellie and co-coach Del Harris.

The Warriors, though, seem intent on keeping Johnson for the whole season, which means Dallas will now have to beat out both of its Texas neighbors to hire the General when he does become available. Whether that's as a player-coach or strictly for coaching.

The good news for Cuban? Dallas will apparently get the first crack at AJ. Bad news is that the competition will be stiff, because of his longstanding ties to San Antonio and the fact that Houston is Johnson's offseason home.

-- droxford

2. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

It doesn't say a damn thing about the Rox pusuing AJ.... :rolleyes:

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Avery Johnson? If it's been more than 10 years since a player was on your team, chances are that signing him again isn't the best idea...

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I remember back in the day when he was still with SA, Avery would allways light up houston when he played us. Thats 1 thing i knew for sure Avery Johnson is gona have alot of points. He is kinda washed up now but would make a great pick up for back up pg, that is if we cant land Ward ;)

5. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

i know what you mean.

avery johnson is 38 years old, folks. PASS!

we need to build a team with players that arent so frknn OOOLLDD

avery johnson has had a wonderful nba career. little dude used to irritate the hell out of me when during the I-10 rivalry games...but again, hes too old to pick up as a back up for steve.

6. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

That's funny !
    :D

7. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

aren't we talking more about an assistant coach type deal here?

If that's the case, I say go for it.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Yup. I'd love to have him as an asst. coach and a halftime interview type of guy, but I don't think anyone's seriously persuing him as a player next year.

9. aries323

aries323 Member

Get rid of Ewing.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

forget that. go after elie if anything. this team was never the same after elie

11. droxford

droxford Member

That's precisely what it's saying: Cuban wants to develop AJ first as an assistant, then as a head coach replacement for Nellie. And that the other two Texas teams will probably show strong interest in AJ as a coach as well.

Right. That's why this thread is not titled "Rockets are pursuing AJ". Notice that the title starts with "ESPN"? That means that I'm quoting ESPN, not the Rockets. Also notice that is says "Rox may pursue." That means that in ESPN's opinion, it may or may not happen. Don't be so eager to jump down people's throats.

-- droxford

12. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I don't know how great of a coach he would make, but I know that the Spurs started talking about making him an assistant coach years ago. I also know the Mavs would like to do the same. Pop and Nellie seem to do a good job of hiring assistants, so I'd be all for the Rox giving him a shot. Couldn't hurt our chances that he lives in H-town during the offseason.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Avery Johnson would be a nice addition. He was a good pointguard that probably overachieved based on his size and grade of talent. The guy didn't have a midrange jumper to save his life early on in his career but he worked hard and developed a pretty decent one. He got the most out of his game and played smart well rounded ball as a PG. I've also heard he's a pretty damn good teacher. So perhaps hiring him to do some coaching with Francis would be great. I dunno how much Francis would listen but I figure you can never have too many good teachers, and Avery Johnson has a reputation for being a good teacher. Not to mention the guy has a championship ring on his finger, and was actually pretty vital as a PG for the Spurs during their first run at a title. If Francis doesn't respond well to him and blows him off too, I honestly don't know what would reach Francis towards becoming a better ball player.

14. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, good post LB.

AJ's shot SUCKED early in his career. We'd play soft on him 'cause we were more afraid of him driving & dishing or driving & scoring than any prayer he'd throw up.

Then suddenly in the mid-late 90's, he'd burn anyone who gave him too much buffer.

He's a hard worker, and you can tell by listening to him that he's intelligent & knows the game. If we have a big man's coach (Ewing), why not have a guards coach too?

15. droxford

droxford Member

Do you think JVG and CD will be interested? So far, JVG seems to like having himself surrounded by his East-coast posse, and may not be open to the idea of AJ as an assistant.

-- droxford

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Then what does "both of its Texas neighbors" mean?

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I think we should go after AJ now. We can trade Steve Francis for Johnson and the Warriors can throw in MD Jr. and Troy Murphy (for salary matching purposes :) )