1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to be "killed" by Mavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Panda

Panda Member

How can you Mavs fans forget about Yao and Mutombo?

We have the best center combo in the league and they can make the Mavs bleed.

If we can get nearly 30 points, 15+ rebounds, and 4+ blocks from the center position, it'll largely offset the impact of Dirk on our pf spot. If Yao and Mutombo continue to play at their current level in the regular season those numbers are containable.

Then get ready to be killed by T-Mac.

Good play at the center spot, execution of our guards and defense will decide the outcome. It's hard to say which team will win unless we've seen them play in the playoffs. In the beginning of the season the Rockets were out of sync, in the later part of the season the Mavs were missing key players when they met, the samples in the regular season aren't good enough to tell. As a Rockets fan I'll go with the Rockets all the way.

2. Man

Man Contributing Member

I cannot wait.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How many championships will the Mavs have after this year.....

That's right ...still ZERO !!!!

And the Rockets will have at LEAST two....and maybe 3.

:)

DD

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

i love this - the more haters the sweeter that crow will taste !

I wish more media would come out and say the Rockets will lose in 5 or even FOUR !!!!!

IT'S ON !!!!

btw - loved Matt jackson's take on how the Mavs are like the Trailbazers in 2001

5. rockergordon

rockergordon Member

My 2cents:

It was obvious last year that Yao was tired at this point, but I believe he's held up better this year. He's not going to be facing shaq either.... If he can put up his averages, with a couple big games, then he will be a huge positive for us...

Plus, the longer the series goes, the more of a chance the Rockets have. No science to back that up, but I believe the underdog mentality can keep the adrenaline pumping that far into a series.

As opposed to last year I have a better feeling... I think a lot of you would agree.

6. AlexVanderpool

I said this when he dogged Houston during the Superbowl and i'll say it again...

F - BILL SIMMONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. craziaries

craziaries Member

A: I love the Clutchcity people. You rock. Sometimes I laugh for days.

B: It's all about coaching during this series. Unless Dirk plays like Michael Jordan. I'm willing to take that bet.

8. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

The Rockets will show his ass, too!:mad: Just like the idiots at Yahoo, other guys at ESPN, and analysts from all over. The Rockets will surprise the world, although, it wont come as a surprise to any of us.

9. Lemarc

Lemarc Member

Let Dirk have his big games....Just making sure nobody else gets involved. Put Dallas in the position of feeling in control and take the chair from under them in the 4th quarter.

10. PitydaFoo

PitydaFoo Contributing Member

In 1995, we played Chucky Brown and Pete Chilcutt against Karl Malone and Charles Barkley. Then we started Robert Horry against Dennis Rodman and Horace Grant. People dogged on us for our weakness at the 4 spot, especially after Carl Herrera got injured. Yet we won the championship.

Basically, if Tmac plays at a Hakeem-like level (which he's capable of), Yao plays at a Drexler-like level (~21 ppg), and all of our role players continue doing what they're doing, we can go very far.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Who gives a f- what simmons thinks? He's a comedian.

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yep! :D You are right....

At this point I don't believe that TMac has reached Hakeem's level -- TMac has to prove he can carry a team and win in the play-offs. But after he does that he'll be up there at Hakeem's level (performance wise, not rings). Yao on the other hand just has to *play at or near* Drexler's level. He can't be just a *role* player. He has to be the wedge that gives us that proverbial edge.

I don't care how good the Mavs look on paper. Yao will be that single advantage we need as long as he raises his level too. I believe that Tmac will shake up the basketball world this play-off series (TMac will be the new talk of the NBA after this serise is over; legendary performance)! Will Yao?

One positive is that in the play-offs, the refs usually *let the players play.* Which means they don't call ticky-tacky fouls. So, Yao should be able to get away with more than in the regular season. I don't want to see Daniels driving into Yao's chest in order to draw fouls (cheap ones). Or worse, Bradley flailing his arms when he's near Yao. This shouldn't happen as easily as it did in the regular season. This should give Yao more leeway to be more aggressive on defense. It's just something to keep an eye on.

On a side note....
    One of the great things about having two stars is that the 1st or 2nd guy can make up for our role players; or lack thereof. I'm not saying that this is a reason for Sura and crew should take the night off if Yao takes up the slack. I'm just saying that it relives some of the pressure (on our role players) when your two Brahma bulls are carrying most of the load (like they should).

If the Mavs role players are playing 100% and are contributing...well, we better have Yao make up the difference. If Sura, Westley, Barry, James, Deke, and Spoon *also* play 100% then we will surely have an advantage.

If Yao is in foul trouble, then it's up to our role player to take up the slack. But I feel that our bench is weaker than the Mavs bench...thus, that's not the road I would want to take. Yao must kick some tail!

#72 DavidS, Apr 23, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

Givens: T-mac and Dirk will get their points.

Rockets difference makers: Yao/Mutombo and the perimeter shooting.

In order to win, Houston must control the boards, contest every shot and keep the Mavs out of the lane.

Finally, the Rox perimeter shooters must punish the double teams on Yao and T-Mac and knock down the open looks. Simple as that.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

See why I said we shouldn't give a damn?:p

15. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Yup - Dirk's on his way to breaking MJ'ss scoring record - all he needs to do is get 50 a game...:rolleyes:

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Great call Sam. That should shut those Mavs fans up for a day or so. :D I can't wait for their excuses for their 'great' bench's play or why their 'good D' couldn't stop a 'decent' offense.

Gotta love what the moderater, axechange, from dallas-mavs.com had to say about the Mavs when I told him his bench wasn't all that.

:rolleyes:

Good call axe...defense, rebounding, TOs are everything in the playoffs, get your 'analysis' straight bud. Oh, and we still don't have an answer for Dirk, but we don't always need one...I'm still waiting for their answer on how Howard is going to 'slow down' Tmac...LOL, what a friggin joke.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As the seconds were ticking down today, I couldn't help but smile thinking about this thread.

It was a foolish thing to write. I loved how nobody was able to stop Nowitiski today.

Great job Rockets!

18. ebu

ebu Member

Looks like someone has to take something bak :D :D

19. Houston22

Houston22 Member

Kill this, Dallas!

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

What a fun thread!

It's just one game, but this game turned all the typical arguments about this series upside down...

Rockets will not be able to contain Dirk. 5/19 shooting (0/4 with T-Mac guarding)

Josh Howard will contain T-Mac. 34 pts, 6 ast, 52% shooting

Dampier/Bradley will neutralize Yao. 11 pts, 8 bds in 20 mins (not great, but Damp/Brad combined for only 7 pts, 7 bds in 28 mins)

Dallas has a better bench than Houston. Dal 19 pts, 8 bds, 3 ast, 2 blk - Hou 32 pts, 13 bds, 5 ast, 3 stl

Mavs backcourt is better than the Rox (Finley/Terry vs. Wesley/Sura). Dal +5 pts, +2 bds, +1 ast, -1 stl, +1 blk, +2 TO, -15% shooting (this in mostly in Dallas' favor, but not by much)

Van Horn will be a difference maker. 5 pts, 5 bds, 1 ast, 2/7 shooting.

Dallas' D is much better this year. 98 points given up on 47% shooting.

What else ya got? :D