1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Rockets to be "killed" by Mavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EgRiFf08, Apr 22, 2005.

1. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

According to Bill Simmons, a Page 2 guy, Rockets stand the second to worst chance in the playoffs (other than the Grizz vs. Suns) And they will be destroyed by the Mavs...

Houston (voted off by Dallas, 4-1)
    Ever since Juwan Howard went down -- and the beginning of that sentence alone is enough to raise a red flag -- the Rockets have been playing without any power forwards who could even be considered "crappy." So here's my question: Who the hell is guarding Dirk Nowitzki in this series? Clarence Weatherspoon? Ryan Bowen? Vin Baker? Dikembe Mutombo? Scott Padgett? Yao? Roger Clemens? There's a good chance that Dirk could break MJ's scoring record for a five-game series, especially since we just named a German pope who will be rooting for him. And what happens when the Mavs play Nowitzki and the Completely & Totally Rejuvenated Keith Van Horn at the same time? Who does Yao plan on guarding?

(Note: I actually think the Mavs are going to KILL the Rockets, save for the one game when T-Mac drops in the neighborhood of 55 to 58 points on them.) OUCH WHAT AN INSULT!

2. adai

adai Member

Before the game, Bill Simmons can say anything or kill anyone he want.
    After the game, it's another story, eveyone can kill Bill Simmons. :)

3. Driven

Driven Member

I really think Scott Padgett can atleast slow Nowitski down a little. He's got the energy and hustle to do it.

We could also go small and put T-Mac on him, so the two would have to work on defense too. That's what I'd go with.

4. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

There are just too many factors in this series to be able to predict an outcome. It's hard for me to believe JVG hasn't come up with something against Dirk.

5. cmellon

cmellon Member

Actually Bill Simmons is a Rockets fan. He wrote the article that way so the Rockets are fired up ;)

6. SPEBobbyG

SPEBobbyG Member

Considering they are playing a seven-game series, I would say there is a *zero* chance of that happening. ;)

7. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

8. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

The same can be said with the guarding T-Mac and our offense in general. Rockets were during the regular season the second best team in points allowed at 91/game (Detroit was #1) So obviously Van Gundy knows how to make his team play defense, can the same be said for an inexperienced coach like Avery Johnson whose team is used to losing games 120-110 because they can score at will but cant do much else on the other end of the floor. And remember...defense wins championships (just ask the Pistons from a year ago, when everyone thought they were doomed cause noone believed they could contain Kobe AND Shaq) and it is playoff time...

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

This guys is full S%$#

10. yaomania

yaomania Contributing Member

I love Bill Simmons. I think he's one of the best sports writers out there.

But as you read his columns, you need to keep one thing in mind:

"The lesson, as always, I'm an idiot"

He's a pop-culture writer - not a sports expert. He's been wrong about so many things (check out his original article about Yao and his subsequent apology) - that to take him seriously about any NBA analysis would be dumb.

Just read him, wait for the Rocky/Karate Kid/Real World/Hoosiers references and laugh along.

11. Axerod

Axerod Member

Let's keep in mind that Bill Simmons was one of those idoits who said Yao would be a bust, besides checkout his initials - BS, enough said!;)

12. yangstax

yangstax Contributing Member

From 2000-2002

Laker Championships without a legit PF: 3

13. boiler

boiler Member

I am getting tired of this "Juwan's injure will kill Rox" thing. A healty Juawan would help for sure, but since Juwan went down, we are 13-6. It seems to those guys that during that in that 13 wins, our opponents didn't play their PFs, or if Juwan played, we would've gone 19-0. On top of that, since when Juwan became a defensive stopper? let alone stop Dirk. The bottom line is w/ or w/o Juan, we are a great team and will get the job done.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bill, page 2 likes you, just stay there.

15. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Juwan's impact is not on the defensive end. His impact is on offense. Dirk dropped 53 on Juwan and Taylor so anybody who thinks that his presence will hurt us defensively is nuts. Would we be better off having him? Of course
    We would have another weapon offensively. These are the cards we are dealt and I think T-Mac's and Yao's greatness will lift our role players and make them play better. I guarantee you Dirk will be suffocated and be calling for his momma.
    Rockets will do us proud.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Exactly, excellent.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I love this article. I hope it's pinned all over the Rockets locker room.

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I'd like to see how long Dirk could guard Yao. Yao will give up a few open looks from the perimeter, but he would put Dirk in foul trouble in 2-3 possessions. If they double and triple team Yao, we will burn them with wide open 3's.

19. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I wouldn't put too much stock in The Sports Guy's predictions. He puts himself out on the limb all the time, and continually has to backtrack past statements. I mean this is the guy that flip-flopped on how he felt about Stephon Marbury 4 times in the last 4 years (First he thought he would do well for the Suns when he was first traded, and then when J-Kidd took the Nets to the Finals, he felt the Nets completely stole Kidd and that Marbury was trash, and then when Marbury played well in that first round series against the Spurs a few years back he jumped back on the bandwagon, and then when the Suns couldn't buy a win and they shipped Stephon out to NY, Simmons thought he was trash again).

20. pelbeaini

pelbeaini Contributing Member

My question is which one of those two is going to stop YAO?