1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets pursuing Goran Dragic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyharris, Feb 13, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

This is true but I think signing Dragic to a max contract puts us pretty close to the hard cap in 2015-2016

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We wouldn't have the hard cap, the hard cap is triggered by using certain exceptions or a sign and trade. It's basically designed to keep you from improving your team once you break the apron. Call it the Anti-Lakers/Mavs rule

1 person likes this.
  3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

As Aleron already stated, we won't be hard capped. I believe you get hard capped by using the non-tax payer's MLE, don't take my word for it though.

1 person likes this.
  4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rockets have about 59M guaranteed for next season. Tax threshold then could be as high as 95M.

1 person likes this.
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How is the tax threshold determined? I have no idea about this stuff, but I thought it was the luxury tax plus 4 million for this year's hard cap

#405 robbie380, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  6. malakas

malakas Member

Maybe it affects the MLE Morrey can give to Smith.
    But other than that all I know is that anyone who is able to give Dragic a not fixed percentage contract around 19 million should hurry up and do it right now.
    Half the players in the league have arranged their contracts to hit FA in 2016. In that year LA can have 80 million NY 50 and Miami 60 free money to spend.
    The floor will be around 80 million!
    The only players who won't risk taking the QO or signing one year contracts are a) injury prone b) older. Dragic could be one of them
    Even giving someone like Monroe close to a max this summer isn't bad and before that I thought the best he could go for is 11 per..
    The only consolation to me is that second round picks can't take a QO at least.

7. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think this is right.....which means really you can't offer smith a full MLE but the only a mini MLE or tax payer MLE.