1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets not trading Dwight, planning all-out Durant pursuit this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tell Durant AND Westbrook to come here

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

There are zero reasons NOT to at least try and sign Durant this Summer. Why not???... Pride??? Such a dumb reason

The way Morey is probably selling this internally is that since Durant will likely hold up free agency, he will make a decision before Dwight. If Houston somehow becomes a top contender for Durant, it could intrigue Dwight to sign back for much less, and he could be part of the pitch back to Durant to help get him.

IF Durant passes, its likely that Dwight will have been on the market fielding offers for sometime, and while will likely wait for Durant, he will probably take a higher offer elsewhere if Durant doesn't come, and it gives the Rockets a chance at that point to reshuffle their roster for a fresh look around Harden.

Horford, Noah, Barnes, and Conley will be on the market too with the Rockets as buyers with a fresh max contract offer. One of those four guys could bite if Durant goes or stays elsewhere.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think it's either Durant or major retool.

Or Mediocrity for the next years

I do not see many other options. We had the same dilemma years ago, we could win against OKC even with Kevin Martin and Lowry and nothing else.

Could win some games against contenders but that was all there was to it.

4. The Cat

The Cat Member

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Its going to be really funny when Parsons opts out, thinking he can get even more money, and he has to settle for less than he is making now. Maybe that will knock him down a peg.

What if Howard, on purpose, does what DJ did last offseason but this time using Instagram instead of Twitter when we "convince" Howard to come back to us?

Another offseason of Mavericks struggling would be glorious.

6. Marteen

Marteen Member

Much like Aldridge over the summer, I will be shocked if he signs with Houston. Durant will choose OKC or Golden State depending on the result of this season. I think there's a good chance that Houston can re-sign Howard, though. He likes it here, but the problem is if he thinks he still deserves a max contract (which he probably does).

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue with OKC is that him "going there" doesn't improve that team, it's just more of the same for one more year then it's a lottery team.

8. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Besides the Warriors what other team can offer him a line up of

Ty/harden/Durant/smith/Howard(I think ty/smith/maybe Howard would work out a contract to possibly be a instant dynasty)

I think Durant likes the low key with not to much exposure like okc and wants to build a legacy. You can't do that in la and city's like that cause it's over shadowed by so much history, unlike the rockets where they could be legends and bring back a organization

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

With the Rockets, always count on mediocrity.

10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if rockets dont win the chip with a healthy Dwight, Durant and Harden.. I don't know what will.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

Durant is NOT coming here. He hates Dwight.

Line that I repeat for the 15th time in a span of last year or so.

12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think there's more than a chance he comes to Houston.

It really comes down to 3 things

1. Does he want automatic titles in GS? Answer is undoubtably yes. But that does come with an astric, it will be held against him in legacy no matter what anyone says. Lebron joined a mediocre heat team that hadn't won in years and he still got ridiculed. Durant would be joining a GS team that looks to be back to back champs with The mvp of the last two years, not to mention they look like possibly the best team in league history. Sure KD would most likely win atleast 2 rings but he would not do it as the best player on the team and that's not what we thought KD was about.

Bottem line is GS does not need KD to win multiple titles he would be the epitome of piggy backing somthing that is not his. Lebron/Wade/bosh cultivated those 2 rings it's theirs. It would never be KDs in GS.

2. Does he stay the course in OKC? Maybe he's been there a long time the state loves him he's in there hof gives back to the community and is prob the best Oklahoma athlete ever. They have a good team.

With that said they haven't been close to a finals since they traded harden, does he really think it's suddenly going to get better? Realistically I don't think he would.

3. Go to Houston with his best Friend and mvp candiate James harden. Play with a center for the first time in his career In dwight howard.

Now the question here is does he think he can put Houston over the top. My guy says he prob does but at what cost? It's a big change for him. Is he coming here just for change or does he really think he can make it happen in Houston? He gets change here and still holds the title as best player on the team.

These are the only 3 places that I think have any chance at durant this offseason.

And those are the questions he will be asking himslef. All
    3 teams would be contenders with him, GS being the favorite but houston and of course okc would get a lot of respect. He's gonna get max from all 3.

From a personal standpoint snd iv always felt this way is that I really think we have a very real shot at KD and may be the favorite unless okc wins the chip.

Bev/jh/KD/dmo/DH

With smith/Thornton/ariza/Capela/Brooks off the bench

That's a deep very talented team that can win a title and I do think could be one of the few teams that can hang with GS from 3

Bev/harden/Durant can all shoot 39-42% from 3 and Brooks ariza thornton should be solid for 35-40% off the bench. That's 6 really good 3pt shooters on the team with elite rim
    Protection.

Not to mention 2 stretch power forwards in smith and dmo who can shoot 3s also.

When u look at it like that you have to think we have a legit chance at getting KD this summer.

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

You talked to Durant? He told you he hates dwight? Ok

Calling somebody a p***y in the heat of a game is not hating somebody.

Iv called my friends much worse in competitive situations. Doesn't mean I hate them.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Love how people think an 8 second random video allows people to think they know what kind of relationship nba players have with each other and what really goes on

15. OpenLayup-Why3?

What Houston has to offer that OKC doesn't? All I know is they have a better team, they are legit contenders. He is not leaving OKC any time soon. At least he's resigning for one year there and then sees what Westbrook does after the year when they're both FA.
    GSW also wants him, so Rockets literally has no chance of getting Durant.

16. Disturbed

Disturbed Member

Yea and OKC can also offer Durant the most money on top of the players they already have. Can't forget about the coaching situation as well. Rockets will probably be 3rd or 4th on the list with the Wizards.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Houston offers a better team long term, OKC offers one more season of Westbrook and then they are a lottery team. Also in OKC he has an owner who was too cheap to pay the luxury which killed a potential dynasty of Westbrook Harden and Durant.

Now Golden State is undoubtedly the better offer if he doesn't mind not getting much credit for their championships if they happen but Houston will be one of the top options and IMO staying in OKC is one of the least likely things.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

"He hates Dwight" lol...where do people get this from? Bc durant said p***y during the game? He also screamed out "This is my city!" in Houston, so by this whole logic that everything said during heated competition means Durant wants to come here, just without Dwight.

Trash talking is part of the game and Durant has been trying oh so hard the past few years to recreate his brand to be a "tough" guy.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

OKC without KD cant even make the playoffs, a rox team with Dwight, KD and Harden would be able to stand toe to toe against gsw, cleveland and spurs do unless he wants to cop out and join gsw I think houston is the best spot for him.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

The only reason OKC is better is KD is there c'mon what was their record last year? OKC has already peaked even with KD they only beat Houston by 8 pts without Dwight, I dont consider them contenders they are just a good team who will fall to spurs or gsw. Rox right now are dealing with injuries, once DMo and DH are back to full strength houston is actually a better team this year than okc.

If GSW wants him and signs him then thats ok too we can get Iggy or Barnes.